Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 996 997 [998] 999 1000 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127396 times)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14955 on: August 01, 2011, 11:27:01 am »

My jeweller made a large Star Ruby gem, and for some reason proceeded to engrave and encrust it with every single cut gem I had in my fort, the result is worth more than 10000  :o
only 10,000? weak.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14956 on: August 01, 2011, 11:36:19 am »

The young fort of Numtosid had it's first casualties.

From five axedwarves only one left, the sheer amount of shruk proves to be effective no matter how skilled the defenders are.

Another spring the dwarves survived, but who knows what future holds... prolly even more slaughter.

PS: The survivor managed to kill a large bunch of enemies and received the title "The Gush of Courage", which is kinda appropriate given how I saw him dive into enemies and jump away from their blows.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14957 on: August 01, 2011, 11:46:07 am »

only 10,000? weak.

Considering this was all before the first caravan arrived, I think not.
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14958 on: August 01, 2011, 11:51:04 am »

only 10,000? weak.

Enjoy 30 dwarven immigrants next spring :P
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

ctone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14959 on: August 01, 2011, 12:11:28 pm »

My blacksmith went into a strange mood and made a silver crutch. Besides that I'm just building traps for my entrance.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14960 on: August 01, 2011, 12:27:15 pm »

only 10,000? weak.

yay me...   :(

I already sold it though, does it still count for migrants?
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14961 on: August 01, 2011, 12:34:06 pm »

One of my farmers just went insane because I couldn't bring him silk in time, and he started going nuts attacking every dwarf he saw. Most of them got away, but my Mason got knocked out before my single fighter managed to slay the berserk Planter.

Now I have to make a grave for the maniac, unless I want him haunting my fortress.

Stupid moods.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14962 on: August 01, 2011, 12:41:32 pm »

only 10,000? weak.

yay me...   :(

I already sold it though, does it still count for migrants?

I believe the wealth of fortress-at-point-of-caravan-successful-leave is counted. Also, the amount of wealth they buy from you means you're productive, which is another bait for immigrants.
SigFlags!

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14963 on: August 01, 2011, 12:53:54 pm »

So no sooner do the Elves disappear offscreen than

that shows up.

Fortunately, work has progressed well on our fortifications. We now have a secure courtyard and walls that extend to the river, giving us access to the water and the fish. Thirty Dorfs stand ready in my military, but they're no elites or even particularly competent, aside from the Champion. So we're just going to wait them out. Luckily we just happened to have a real good shipment of lumber come in! Heh heh. We are well provisioned with farms and fishing to last forever.

I like to think that either the Elves ran into the siege while it was en route to us and got butchered, or ratted us out to the Gobbers and justified it to themselves as "anything to stop the tree-murderers!"

By the way, my standard FPS for a fortress full of stray rocks from mining, housing 194 Dorfs, and under siege by many pages of Gobbers is 60-80 calculation and like 40 graphical. I love my computer so much. (Maybe that's also a reason I don't hate immigrants like some on the forum)

EDIT: What in Armok's name.... I swear to you, after I came on  here and made this post, I went back to the Fortress. I figured it would be amusing to lower the outer gate and allow the enemy to come in, attack a cat who's trapped in the airlock section, and maybe a few would die on our traps. The moment the bridge snapped down, every single Goblin without exception began moving at absolute top speed - away from the Fortress. In moments, the horde was off the map and only a few Trolls remained. They got minced by the traps. The siege is now pretty much over, and I have absolutely no clue what convinced the enemy to run, screaming in fear from our fort, only days after they got here.

Stozu McGoblin, Elite Crossbowman cancels Lay Siege: Interrupted by Stray Cat (Tame)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:08:31 pm by HunterBlackLuna »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14964 on: August 01, 2011, 12:56:46 pm »

I decided to go with a military-leaning embark group.  Three hammerdwarves with 2 min active duty.  It was great.  They sparred all the time and smashed local wildlife that dared to venture too close.  And then a stupid Panda mauled one, while another dodged into a lake that I forgot to channel an escape ramp into.  *Sigh.*

bloodtoes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14965 on: August 01, 2011, 01:32:57 pm »

Well, the baroness got pissed off that I didn't have any olm bone lying around with which to make something out of and imprisoned my legendary strand extractor. I hadn't fully set up the jail yet (read: no food or water) and was too busy doing other things to have noticed that he was imprisoned. He died of thirst a little while later. It takes a long damn time to train a legendary strand extractor, though for what it's worth there's not much mineable adamantine that I'm willing to take a chance on. And with the storehouses full of processed wafers and the army fully replete in their finest jeweled adamantine battle shorts, I guess it's not such a loss. Still..

Not realising that my inability to make a single Olm Bone Anything probably meant that I didn't have any olm bone lying around, she then went on to immediately demand that I make 3 olm bone rings.. when I was unable to accommodate this request, she flipped and finally gave the cap'n the excuse he's been waiting for to split her open like an orange.

The fight was brief but bloody. Her arm was cut off by his 1.2-million-dwarfolean artifact adamantine short sword and sailed off in an arc! Her previously pristine bedroom was painted a lovely shade of red (until some dwarves with no respect for historical preservation cleaned it up), and her mutilated corpse was quickly moved into her tomb with a memorial hastily engraved to commemorate the occasion and placed next to the coffin.

Just another day in the history of Windstandards.

Map can be viewed here: Windstandards on DF Map Archive

The location of this event can be seen at the Noble Rooms PoI. Hers it the empty apartment in the lower right. All her junk was quickly moved back into the storehouse for future usage and the apartment will be turned into a tourist trap museum.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:31:12 pm by bloodtoes »
Tekkud Udosdakost, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: interrupted by Carp.
Tekkud Udosdakost has bled to death.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14966 on: August 01, 2011, 02:05:40 pm »

Castleseasons is working on training the siege operators and carving out an actual underground castle

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14967 on: August 01, 2011, 02:28:15 pm »

So, in two instances, I decided to embark to a terrifying biome. First one was a glacier. Everything went well until skeletal elk decided to kill everyone. Second time I embarked in a temperate shrubland, and got killed by some ogres. Fun times everywhere.
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #14968 on: August 01, 2011, 03:00:09 pm »

Huh, i've never had anything worse than skeletal giant capybaras (they are really mean though) happen to me in terrifying biomes. I guess my game's odd.

In other news, my three one-dorf-armies (two axes and one spear) prevailed against a double siege plus some ambushers.

Oh yeah. But hey, i had more armies than them, so their chances were slim. :P

Edit: This just in: One of my axe dorfs named his axe. The name? The Brilliant Disemboweler. FUCK. YEAH.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:02:04 pm by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14969 on: August 01, 2011, 05:23:14 pm »

I've just started up a new (5x5) fortress with a plan.  Unfortunately my plan appears to have been disrupted from day one, primarily by badger men.

Despite the setbacks, however, the basement of the first tower is taking shape.  Everything from the wagon, including the wood it was made from, has now been stowed safely underground and my miners have dug out the first living quarters.  Summer has just arrived.  Now to kickstart agriculture!
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely
Pages: 1 ... 996 997 [998] 999 1000 ... 3842