Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 994 995 [996] 997 998 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127210 times)

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14925 on: July 30, 2011, 03:23:25 am »

I finally get my first good fort going, and then I make the relatively poor decision of making a fortress guard. I accidentally forgot to assign them the training weapons, so he strangled many dwarves in the fortress. I think he murdered four people, and then my legendary weaponsmith was next on the list for "punishment" due to not filling a mandate for adamantine axes (yes, adamantine axes, not picks or anything useful, of course). I locked him up safely, though, and got the jails built. I appointed a new guard, and lo-and-behold, the old Captain is being charged for four murders. Revenge is a bitch, eh?
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14926 on: July 30, 2011, 03:29:11 am »

I just got steel and glass sorted out, and I'm going to make me some steel weapons.

And then I'm going to wall off my keep, fight off some sieges, then break into HFS, kill everyone there, and live there.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14927 on: July 30, 2011, 04:14:24 am »

Tragedy struck the native panda population. A war dog slaughtered the only known free roaming panda in our local area while cleaning up a macaque problem. But I've begun a new panda breeding program to replenish the species. I have acquired a new panda from the neighboring tree huggers. I am constructing a walled nature preserve around the only source of bamboo on my map. When the wall is complete the panda will be released into his new safe home where no dogs shall trouble him. Hopefully we can find him a mate soon.

The Panda Memorial Nature Sanctuary should be open within the year.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

karloss99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14928 on: July 30, 2011, 04:48:01 am »

Got my 1st siege. Was a slaughter of my military...  :(

As the gobbos left and my dwarfs begin to gather the dead...

A Giant comes into map... :o "That's it. This fort's done."

The giant goes for the nearest thing it can find - an Alpaca.
The thing is - I embarked at a VERY mountainous region.. After chasing the poor thing up several z-levels giant scores a hit. the alpaca goes nuts ant retaliates. The giant jumps away... and down 5 z-levels... If not for the current tantrum spiral fort would be good.

note: do NOT leave pets outside during siege...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14929 on: July 30, 2011, 08:25:50 am »

I just saw something fly across the screen like some sort of rocket badger-dorf or something... All i could make out was that it was dark red.
Although, it could have been a hallucination from staying up all night on donut fuel and dorfs.

and an Ogre ambush got my liaison. Too far from the fort for the militia to arrive, let alone get their asses suited up...

And another ambush right behind the caravan. Guess I won't be trading this year... Cyclopes lead by a troll hmm...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:30:48 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14930 on: July 30, 2011, 09:11:53 am »

Well, a few things happened. I have made two artifacts; a electrum anvil and a bauxite amulet. I enjoy having a legendary metalsmith with me, as the electrum crutches he has made for trading fodder are unparallelled, not to mention the fact that my gem worker has encrusted some of them. My most expensive crutch is something along the lines of 4k dwarf bucks. The legendary stone crafter is useless though, and after making his crowning achievement, he went back to engraving.

Also, a small goblin ambush decided to come just as a human caravan came. The result was predictable, the goblins wiped out the human caravan, and would have wiped out me too if I did not catch the breach in my wall. It was just one tile, left by a tree that got cut down. That one tile could have sealed my fate, as I still don't have a well trained/armed military. However, my mason managed to fill up the gap posthaste, and all the invaders succeeded in doing was getting caught in my cage traps. The only casualties; two kittens guarding the entrance.

Also, I found magma, and I am going to start up some magma forges. No more relying on charcoal for me!
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14931 on: July 30, 2011, 06:34:32 pm »

Found a deep pit in my cave challenge. No military as of yet. Need a farmer and a trade depot to deal with the dwarf caravan so I can loot it via forbidding the depot.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14932 on: July 30, 2011, 07:01:11 pm »

I 'Let's Play'ed for my first ever Corrosion fort.
15 days in an alligator attacks. I draft the miner and the 2 wood cutters to deal with it. The miner loses his right arm immediately and the wood cutters fight the good fight but die. The alligator is named and my 1 armed, 1 footed miner kills it with a spade.  :o
Here's to hoping the miner doesn't tantrum everyone else to death.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14933 on: July 30, 2011, 08:33:01 pm »

I just had my mason construct 15 statues. 10 of them were of himself. What a dick.

Safey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14934 on: July 30, 2011, 09:04:33 pm »

This

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14935 on: July 30, 2011, 09:14:02 pm »

I just busted the second siege my fort ever had which some how had something like 3 masters and 4 fully mounted squads (seriously, my second siege. Come on now.) plus a squad of trolls. I only lost 4 dwarfs total, so i consider that an epic win in the name of Ectocraft.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14936 on: July 31, 2011, 08:58:10 am »

Scrapedsword is my latest fort to take on my current challenge of lasting long enough for a fort born child to become a useful member of the fort.  The last two have fallen to ambushes and forgotten beasts, so this time I am upping defense from  my usual open fort.  Goblin grinders are up at ground and first cave.  Two legendary hammer dwarves surely help.

Following two tantrum spirals, a cult has developed, and the Fortress Guard have taken to dressing in midnight blue silk clothes, unarmed, and taking sole responsiblity for burial.  They are excused from collecting or serving the wounded, as their appearance at the bedside of the injured would be inappropriate.

We also have a major project ongoing.  All my forts are based around a central spiral ramp, which runs from the surface to the magma sea. Usually this is open to the caverns, but thus has proved a weakness in earlier forts, and allowed a flying FB with deadly dust, which was the end of the last fort.  So this time the ramps are built enclosed.  We have our work cut out in the second cavern, as we need to pinch through a two level lake.  Two rings of pumps are set up, and the power stacks operating.  FPS is down to 1, and we have had a series of crashes, but we inch forward.

The fort is coming to the end of it's eighth year, so we are also getting closer to the main target.  It's a race to get a child to mature before the next release.  Not going to happen at 1FPS, but thing get back to a healthy speed once the pumps are off.  The world is also in it's 29 year.

Hopefully we wil seal our route through the lake this week.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14937 on: July 31, 2011, 10:24:33 am »

Starting a fort on a lair who's occupants my guy hopefully killed. I had Fun when I tried starting forts on occupied lairs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14938 on: July 31, 2011, 10:26:52 am »

Spoiler: Wall o' text (click to show/hide)

V  OOC version. V
Lost my fortress to a forgotten beast made of grime with deadly dust.   I expected grime to be a loose materiel and sent my guard squad down to deal with it by themselves.  I also expected the dust to be only a little one or two tile range thing like all the other FBs I encountered.   When a weaver(it wasn't actually a guard scouting) ran out the gate in front of the guard squad to go collect some webs I saw that it actually created a massive cloud.  I ordered the squad to retreat back inside and the gate closed, but it was too late, the guards saw the beast and charged it, and it was standing on the drawbridge gate by the time the lever was pulled.  I called the rest of the military down there too in desperation.

The guards never even touched it.  It immediately breathed another blast of dust, sending the squad flying in all directions, blinding them and knocking them out from the pain syndrome.  After a look at the FB's raws I saw it also included blisters, paralysis and fever.

The regular military showed up while the beast was stepping on the remaining guard's unconscious heads, and they didn't fare any better.  Another breath attack the moment it saw them disabling every single one of them.  Even my 60 kills champion (The Named Odors). 

Who didn't get finished off directly suffocated from the paralyzation.  The civilians all started showing up to the party too, to collect the wounded and dead, because the cavern yard was part or the safety burrow, and they all caught a wiff of the forgotten beast extract en masse.

And then, even if I somehow managed to survive THAT a SECOND FB showed up, a giant turtle with deadly blood.  Who walzed into the destroyed gate and joined in the Fun.  I was hoping they would hit eachother with their poisons inadvertently, but unfortunately the origonal FB started beating up folks in a side room, while the turtle wandered on by into the fortress proper, they never so much as saw eachother.  So much for the chance of them killing eachother by accident.

At the time of this post the fortress population is down to 40 Dracon from a population of 205.  I'm sure more than half of that 40 are scattered around near the caverns still suffocating to death.

I used DFlair and I'm going to send an adventurer down to clean up the mess as soon as my last few residents succumb.

EDIT: The quadruped of grime managed to fall down the central stairs, blowing apart.  The turtle is still alive, but it's somehow getting owned by a dog.   What remains of the fortress is in the grips of a tantrum spiral though.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:39:55 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14939 on: July 31, 2011, 12:42:09 pm »

'A Vile Force of Darkness has arrived!'
The outpost's first seige of infected is here before the end of our first autumn, 15 of them vs 6 poorly equiped minutemen. We just recently got our first fire-safe materials (Native Coppertin Ore) and haven't got any sort of mechanisms, traps, or fortifications yet.

The order was given that one of ours take a favored weapon...the stupid sum' bitch went out with his hands. Not one of the bats, not one of the shivs, his hands. Everyone in the squad died, except for a gunman who decided to take a nap in the hospital. The infected had only one casualty, which the commander took before they swarmed him.
Spoiler: In Game Conversation (click to show/hide)
That's right before an infected decides to break down our front door. They wait out there a bit and then charge in maisma blazing. All but the medic and gunman were killed immediately. The gunman was let out of his barracks to wall up the entrance when I thought they left, turns out they were hiding in the miasma. Half a month later they break down the only important door in the fortress and kill the medic.
I love this game ^_^
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 ... 994 995 [996] 997 998 ... 3842