Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 993 994 [995] 996 997 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127085 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14910 on: July 29, 2011, 10:17:38 am »

Still searching for teh magmas, and getting bored with Ectocraft very quickly. Am thinking about letting a siege in or something to spice up my dwarves lifes :P

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14911 on: July 29, 2011, 10:21:49 am »

The Darkwing eggs finally hatched. I now have 8 two tentacled large chickens wandering around the fort.

I'd have been more impressed if they'd been ducks. Still, chickens with tentacles does have a lot potential for FUN.  :)
I had no idea what you were saying until I found out what the hell "Darkwing Duck" is.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14912 on: July 29, 2011, 10:56:37 am »

So, I'm building an above-ground city for fun.  The city is separated into cells with drawbridges that can seal off cells in the event that something goes wrong.  Sounded like a good idea at the time.

Downside: the passages between cells get a lot of foot traffic, so almost every time I raise or lower a bridge, someone gets crushed.  I actually felt bad when I obliterated a two-year-old boy by accident yesterday, which has got to be a first (not the child-crushing, I mean the feeling of remorse).

I like the Baroness so far though, peering into her character screen revealed that she is a wrinkled granny with a long temper and a sweet, caring personality.  This drove me to add two floors to the castle so she could have a truly opulent throne room, bedroom, and dining room.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14913 on: July 29, 2011, 01:12:49 pm »

You would make a sweet old granny walk up all those stairs?! Well, this is bay 12!

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14914 on: July 29, 2011, 01:22:29 pm »

Our Legendary Legendary Stonecrafter, who's been literally doing nothing but Make Rock Crafts/R for six years and has thus become a minor deity unto herself of microcline rings and scepters, just gave birth to her fourth kid. Congratulations, Litast Soulbolt! (Both on the new kid as well as the awesome name.)

We're also well underway with work for the new dining hall. The old one was good enough to be considered Lengedary and all, but it's a little cramped for space with 180 Dorfs.

Old Hall

New Hall

I fixed the bugs and stuff that were preventing regular caravan travel, and we had a great human caravan come in and bring us iron, steel, iron and steel weapons, food, drink, wood, cloth, every thing I could have asked for. Our mayor continued to be a jackwagon, pissed that we've ignored his impossible orders for fine pewter, and has prohibited the export of rings. Much working around bins of finished goods to avoid mandates was had by our poor broker. The caravan's arrival also happened to occur right when a Hydra showed up.

I figured Hydras were tough guys, but this one really performed pathetically. He starts out by chasing a cat, of course, giving my stragglers and the caravan ample time to head indoors. When he finally gets around to charging our front entrance... he gets snared in a cage trap. So not even kidding. I figured that thing would avoid traps, but I also noticed my rockfall traps banging it up pretty bad. Maybe the rockfall or something triggered the cage? Or are Hydras vulnerable to traps? Either way, I've got no clue what to do with the thing, or my half-dozen Gobber prisoners, since my Dorfs can't seem to move the cages without releasing the prisoners.

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14915 on: July 29, 2011, 02:00:05 pm »

You would make a sweet old granny walk up all those stairs?! Well, this is bay 12!

Oh gods, I'm a monster!

I will install one of those motorized chair things immediately.  Nothing but the best for Urist McGrangran.

(Also she likes turkeys for their snood and worships a magical bat.  I love DF.)

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14916 on: July 29, 2011, 10:32:04 pm »

Well, in a random fort of mine, my broker/woodcutter got into a fight with a duck. Here is the log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have to say, that duck put up one helluva fight.

Also, I bought out a caravan with tons of electrum crafts made by a high master metal crafter. Got all sorts of food, leather, cloth, ect. I also bought all the iron/steel stuff because my embark has no iron ores. Well, none until I get some goblinite.
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14917 on: July 29, 2011, 10:38:59 pm »

Had a cave croc taking off the arm of my legendary huter. Damn crocodile. But he is dead. My hunter manage to kill him. Now i call him João-sem-braço (jonh-armless)
Still huting. Dunno how he reload the crossbow with one arm
Note:Just readed yesterday abou the infamous habit of running with others arms of the crocodile.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14918 on: July 29, 2011, 10:45:20 pm »

Finally found the magma sea, and luckily for me, nothing came out of it yet. Training up my macedwarf on flesh balls just in case. The damn things won't die, even after getting torn open.
EDIT: I also found some light yellow diamonds! Problem is, that if I go to mine them, my Legendary miner's will be slaughtered by a Giant Cave Spider and a Troll. So what should I do? Leave the diamonds or send my Macedwarf on a one-man zerg rush? It's worked with everything else I've fought so far.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:18:22 pm by drakon136 »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14919 on: July 29, 2011, 11:38:33 pm »

523 was coming to an end in Daggerdepths when bam! my starting 7 brewer got a fey mood and headed for a masons workshop. I thought "Awesome! One of my starting 7 is going to make some awesome furniture for my 25th artifact, making it so 50% of my dwarves have created one!".

But that FUCKING dwarf made a FUCKING kimberlite floodgate, my SECOND artifact kimberfuckinglite floodgate. But no, that wasn't enough because he had to craft an image of a FUCKING Elf on it killing a god damned DWARF.

The fuck was he thinking? "Oh hey, what should I make with this kimberlite? Well, we already have a floodgate, 2 floodgates in fact with one of them also kimberlite. But hey! Wouldn't it be cool if we had a matching set? Dude that would be awesome! The other dwarves would be all 'Sweet! Look at those TWO kimberlite floodgates!'. But no... it needs something else. Oh! How about an elf, killing a dwarf, from a battle several hundred years ago? OH. MY. GOD. I'm a fucking genius!"

Catten Strokewire you fucking failure.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:43:04 pm by BloodBeard »

sarus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14920 on: July 30, 2011, 12:17:40 am »

LOL ^^ fantastic

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14921 on: July 30, 2011, 01:04:34 am »

I promoted a lowly fish cleaner to Baron because it amused me. One of my military dwarf's baby was torn to pieces by a badger boar while its mother was distracted by a snatcher. Same military dwarf's pet lamb wandered into the danger room and was impaled. She's still happy because of engravings and fine quality bedroom furniture.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14922 on: July 30, 2011, 01:22:27 am »

Dig, dig, dig. That's what's happenin'...

Gotten my workshops up and running, finally - just in time for a mood. I got really excited - my gem setter got the mood! Then I noticed it was a goddamn possession. Well, shoot.

A peasant became my military commander since nobody else wanted the job; for some reason, this amuses me.

Also, hundreds of animals have been marching to their deaths. I accidentlaly designated a bunch to become pets... then realised that nothing was getting butchered. Though now I remember to press b instead of enter.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14923 on: July 30, 2011, 01:22:51 am »

Well, after a large migrant wave, I got another high master metalcrafter (who is now a engraver because my other one has a bit more experience) and I got a high master metalsmith, who is now making electrum crutches for the next caravan (they want crutches apparently). I am also building a wall around my fort in this sort of fashion:

--O--O--O---
w    wtw     w
w    wtw     w
wwwwtwwww

- = cliff face
O = opening into fort
w = wall
t = cage traps

This way, I have two courtyards that are pretty much protected except from flying things. They will be used for a refuse pile and as a grazing ground for livestock. The trap line extends inside up to my depot, and I have a bridge connected to a lever just in case some gobbos or something get though the line of traps.

Militarily, I am getting some marksdwarfs some leather armour, and eventually, some crossbows and bolts. I'll work on my melee dwarfs equipment once I get some steel going, which will be difficult seeing as though as I have no iron ores. I put in an order for iron ores and bars, however, so those electrum crutches will prove handy. Also, I hope I can catch some goblins to be involuntary targets for my marksdwarfs.

Also, I am slowly but surely digging my way down to try and find some magma for some forges. I have been getting by with my metal industry on just making charcoal for fuel, but I want magma forges because they are awesome.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:24:26 am by Flaming Toadstool »
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14924 on: July 30, 2011, 01:35:15 am »

Embarked in a Terrifying biome with an aquifer for a challenge. Was in the process of building an aquifer breacher a la Oilfurnace but soon into it my miner was strangled to death by an Ogress called Zuglarondin/Shipfaded. So the fort's hanging on. Now everyone is running around screaming...

Seconds later i've just lost the fisherdwarf (skull bitten off, jamming the skull through the brain) and 3 dogs. D: Challenge lost.
Pages: 1 ... 993 994 [995] 996 997 ... 3842