Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 992 993 [994] 995 996 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127088 times)

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14895 on: July 28, 2011, 09:19:39 am »

I've been experimenting with the population cap. I set it to sixteen dwarves, although I later had two migrant waves bringing it from 15 to 17 and then 17 to 18. Hmm. No more since then though, so that's not too bad.

And I'm having trouble with my marksdwarves. I constructed a beautiful room for training marksdwarves on captured prisoners. I had two sides with fortifications between them. I dropped the Troll cage into the prisoner side, hooked it up, and opened the cage. And then... my marksdwarves wouldn't go into the room to shoot at it.

I made the shooting area one-tile wide so they would stand next to the fortifications. Maybe that had something to do with it, I don't know. They just refused to go in. Eventually one wandered in by accident and then immediately ran out again.

They train on targets well enough, so it's not an equipment issue. I checked anyway - they were all armed properly and carrying ammo (allowed for combat use and training use). I even resorted to making a burrow inside and telling them to stay in it, but they refused to accept that either.

Have I got the world's only claustrophobic dwarves?

Well, I've deleted that world anyway. The pop cap experiment paid off, so time to roleplay it a bit and nickname my dwarves. A fresh start sounds like a nice idea. And next time I'll forget fortifications and just put a retractable bridge between the dwarves and the targets.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14896 on: July 28, 2011, 09:57:36 am »

I learned today that burrows function a hell of a lot like Venn diagrams.

Other than that, I managed to completely enclose my fortress entrance with walls - since I'm nearing the end of my second year, I imagine that an ambush or two are coming soon - and perhaps getting my military sorted is a good idea.

I also have so much magnetite that it's kinda ridiculous - at least I'll have plenty of decednt weapons around. Should probably smelt some of it so that I can actually use it, though.

In other news, secret underground passages are cool.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14897 on: July 28, 2011, 10:45:36 am »

Double magma moat and I found iron, all in the first year. AWEsome :)

Not forgetting to bring picks paid off.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14898 on: July 28, 2011, 10:52:29 am »

So, I am an evil bastard. My "doctor" is actually my bookkeeper/broker, who had some skills in diagnostics. In order to train his skills, I put together a squad of a pair of useless migrants, stripped them, and told them to train in the danger room.
The name of the squad? The Fatal Vestibules. (A vestibule is a room next to the entrance of a building, which defines my morgue perfectly)

EDIT:
Well, the migrant got hit in the hand, then in the face, shattering the skull and tearing the brain. NEXT!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:56:32 am by Crazy Cow »

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14899 on: July 28, 2011, 11:29:45 am »

A human caravan was ambushed by goblins.
The human guards decided a panda was more of a threat then the goblins, so they concentrated their attacks on the panda.
I didn't send my dwarves out to assist.

One of my dwarves did choose this moment to make The Feral Immortal, an artifact green glass coffin.
It is encrusted with cobalite and yellow zircon, studded with lay pewter and bismuth and decorated with giant toad leather and giant cave swallow leather.
On the item is an image of Id the Earthen Gorge, the deity of earth, depicted as a female dwarf in green glass. Id the Earthen Gorge is laboring.
On the item is an image of The South Magician, the native platinum statute of Krififblangin in tower-cap.

I also noticed that I can issue kill orders against goblins in cages. Can I reduce my goblin population without releasing the goblins?
I had just set up a bear pit and had started introducing goblins to my war grizzly bears.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14900 on: July 28, 2011, 12:22:09 pm »

I also noticed that I can issue kill orders against goblins in cages. Can I reduce my goblin population without releasing the goblins?

I'm pretty sure the dwarfs will just crowd around the cages without attacking them.  I guess the bars are too close together for a spear to pass through.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14901 on: July 28, 2011, 04:24:37 pm »

Siege. Okay, burrow alert and turtle up. We will shortly deal with them.
Urist McOblivious interrupted by gobo crossbowman? Wait, what? Oh Armok, my courtyard. It is included in burrow to allow janitors to clean up remains of previous siege. While walled, courtyard have no roof, and fort is cut into side of mountain. Cue hailing death of bolts.
Removed courtyard from burrow. Those short idiots of course run everywhere except entry to fortress 20 meters from them (gobos are few z-levels above on same side as entry). One already fall unconsionous. Ok, this is standard dwarven stupidity, time for makeshift military. And GTFO command.

...no change. They still run around like headless chickens, only one managed (accidentlaly, I bet) slink away into safety of fortress. Okay, so die, retards. Dwarfin awards are already prepared.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14902 on: July 28, 2011, 08:14:15 pm »

Holy hell cave crocodiles!

Siege showed up on the back of these things, they can't touch most of my military guys' bodies.

But their hands...oh god the hands... they are well on their way to ousting lightsabers on their hand removal skills.  All they need to do is briuse and they latch on, and next turn they get they will remove the hand. 

I just went from 16 to 3 able bodied melee soldiers.  Not from deaths, but from loss of both hands to the gaping maws of the cave crocodiles.  I'm going to need to make a second retiree squad, maybe even a third.

EDIT: In the time between this origonal post and this edit.  My soldiers lost 3 more hands.  One militia captain lost both hands in quick succession and a swordsman lost one hand but still has his other.  My champion swordswoman is very quickly becoming my only able bodied soldier.

On the other hand (ha!) my champion swordswoman is still rocking all her limbs and digits and got 25 28 kills in a single military action.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:25:36 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14903 on: July 28, 2011, 08:19:32 pm »

*alarm bells*

FEY ARMORSMITH ALERT! FEY ARMORSMITH ALERT!

*klaxons*

HE'S GRABBED A STEEL BAR! AND SOME OTHER STUFF! AND HAS BEGUN!

...AND HE HAS MADE GREAVES! ALL HAIL THE PANTSMITH!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:22:16 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14904 on: July 28, 2011, 11:55:48 pm »

Give me his fucking soul, I need a pantsmith for my artifact ubersuit.

Speaking of which I just got my 2nd weaponsmith mood and 2nd candy short sword. I was hoping for an axe but i'm not complaining, he had no weapon preference so i'm just happy it wasn't a blowgun or something.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:59:42 pm by BloodBeard »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14905 on: July 29, 2011, 02:41:26 am »

The Darkwing eggs finally hatched. I now have 8 two tentacled large chickens wandering around the fort.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14906 on: July 29, 2011, 03:23:27 am »

The Darkwing eggs finally hatched. I now have 8 two tentacled large chickens wandering around the fort.

I'd have been more impressed if they'd been ducks. Still, chickens with tentacles does have a lot potential for FUN.  :)

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14907 on: July 29, 2011, 08:30:52 am »

My legendary weaponsmith (who likes axes) just got a strange mood. This could be good....
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14908 on: July 29, 2011, 08:47:15 am »

After Virsarvesh (Starfurnace) and Koganolon (Boatgear), with the last one crumbling just after one year of operation, I made a new fortress.

Numtosid, 'Windarmor', is on a desert, between hills, with magma pipe and brook to the side. This time I will fucking drown enemies in magma and train my hammerdwarves into champions of bone destruction.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14909 on: July 29, 2011, 10:05:51 am »

I'd have been more impressed if they'd been ducks. Still, chickens with tentacles does have a lot potential for FUN.  :)

Darkwing Duck was AWESOME.

That is all.

Wait. No! Must stay on topic!

I began a new fortress today - it's part of a very special project. I haven't actually done anything, but it was the first time for me that the default embark had no aquifer.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 992 993 [994] 995 996 ... 3842