Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 987 988 [989] 990 991 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126662 times)

Vile Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
  • !!&!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14820 on: July 26, 2011, 12:43:36 am »

I like genocide. Lots and lots of corpses rotting in the hallways. Blood coming down like rain. That's what I make happen in my fortress. And fell moods, only I hate it when they go for the legendary miners.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:45:36 am by Vile Ampersand »

OMGTANGERINES

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14821 on: July 26, 2011, 12:46:01 am »

Fishbeard's main food source is now no longer fish. Sadly, this could have been prevented with some forethought. Sharks and other non-vermin sea creatures are regularly swimming into my indoor fishing area and well system. If I had built some bridges and floodgates before I let the ocean in, I could have air-drowned them whenever I wanted and harvested them en masse. *sigh*

Also, I've been made into a county for the second time ever. This time I wasn't really planning it - it just sorta happened after I donated one of my beached whales to the caravan.

The only thing is, the first time this happened I could check the requirements for the next stage from the noble screen. This time, it's not there. Did it get removed? I don't remember the version number from the first time I got a king, but I know it was less than 10 versions ago. It used to tell me I needed X roads, Y donations, and Z something else.

I've colonized hell and made the caverns into a nice, big empty rectangle, and I haven't even been made into a barony yet. I don't think the nobles screen is exactly working properly.
We were hoping for a constant fort at some point, having players in different time zones so that the fort never actually stopped running.  Come back overnight and find a giant penis has been constructed.  Glory to the penis gods.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14822 on: July 26, 2011, 12:51:58 am »

well, i just managed to implement a truly *effective* dwarf killer.

My fortress has a central double-helix spiral rampway that everything's organized around, with "landings" at every turn and open spaces that alternate, so that it takes four levels to complete a full turn around.

I got the bright idea to pour a massive waterfall right down the otherwise-empty center tile.  This worked like a charm, EXCEPT that the water started pouring in a spiral down the stairs, bowling over all my dwarves. It averaged a dwarf death per day from 'collided with an obstacle" in the first week or so I ran it. Back to the ol' drawing board. . . I'm determined to fix the design and make it work, just not sure how.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14823 on: July 26, 2011, 12:59:21 am »

Build walls on the inside edge of the ramps and you got yourself a bitchin' water slide   :D

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14824 on: July 26, 2011, 01:13:21 am »

Goblin ambush. Half of my military is poorly trained, other half is getting fairly decent. One of my recruits chases down a snatcher. Gets ambushed by a squad of goblin macemen (or hammer, same difference). His gear is a steel breastplate/helm/gauntlets/low boots/greaves, exceptional quality, a masterwork copper shield and a superior steel battle axe. 3 dodger, 3 armor user, 5 shield user, 5 axedwarf. Oh well he's dead. A few seconds pass and he's still going at it, with some bruises.

Ambush! A squad of goblin lashers surrounding the recruit. He's totally dead now. Or not, he survived without taking any injuries beyond the bruises inflicted by the mace goblins, didn't go in a Martial Trance until the goblins started running away from him.

This guy is getting a custom built tomb, bedroom, dining room and office.

(Honestly, what are the odds of such a poorly trained dwarf surviving a full squad of lashers on top of a squad of mace goblins with no injuries?)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14825 on: July 26, 2011, 02:10:15 am »

Build walls on the inside edge of the ramps and you got yourself a bitchin' water slide   :D

That was the idea!

I think I have it figured out. My excess-of-caution approach had the water held back by floodgates at the top. Releasing all that water at once caused a FLOOD that inundated my dwarves and knocked them over/down, so they then fell through the open spaces in the stair, etc. Letting the water flow in slowly and building a few extra walls and a few extra grates seems to've solved the problem, mostly.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14826 on: July 26, 2011, 02:32:10 am »

Virsarvesh (Starfurnace) had almost faced slaughter if not the deeds of brave three.

Namely goblin attacked - from north west and south. After initial spying, I saw two groups - macegoblins on south and crossbow goblins with swordmaster at north. Made calculations and sent three heavy batle groups - sword, hammer and crossbow dwarves, 30 of them in total - to that group north.

The truth is it was just a decoy - the souther group mingled with a group of crossbowgoblins that went through a forest. I haven't seen all those green 'g's on the green background! They rushed to the entrace and only my spearmaster, his two dwarves and two war dogs were guarding it.

Fierce battle ensued and I was on the edge. Just as one speardwarf died and two other were getting tired and wounded, lo and behold, a hail of bolts from north, killing goblins while the other part of dwarven army arrived to deal with greenskins.

Virsarvesh is safe, and I must buy glasses :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14827 on: July 26, 2011, 06:05:53 am »

I have another dwarf who is flashing indicating that she is wounded, but she is avoiding the hospital. Her health screen says she has lost the ability to grasp.

Most likely she is missing a hand or arm completely, thus the hospital would be useless, also nervous damage shows up the same way.  I have fond recollection of at least one dwarf who lost a swordarm in the middle of battle, and undeterred proceeded to bash enemies with her enemies with a shield.  Afterwards, she went back to her training. I imagine her explanation was "Its just a missing arm dummy, I'm not sick." Since then I seem to get at least one one-armed swordmaster in every military.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14828 on: July 26, 2011, 07:11:37 am »

"sigh" my last fort died to multiple troll attacks early on. Now I start Giltbends. A tundra fort. Even with a story!

Libash Rakustkulal looked out amidst the seemingly endless glacier. His band of pioneers had left even the tundra behind many days before. And before that the forests and mountains of their homeland. Their home kingdom 'The livid picks' sent them to find new delving's far from the mountainhomes in an attempt to find new riches under the earth and spread the influence of the dwarven kingdoms. So they set off north in attempt to find a new home.

Libash held his hand up for the caravan to halt. The semi frozen timbers of the wagon protesting from the conditions and the damage of the long journey. The procession of 6 other dwarves that joined Libash stopping in their steps.
 'We stop here.' He announces in a gruff voice. Pulling the reigns from his seat on the wagon
The announcement greeted by a murmur from the assembled group. Limul Nakasmafol. The sole trained warrior of the group trudges forward. Brushing some snow from his Helmet and long raven black braided beard . The motion eliciting an audible clink from his mail shirt and breastplate. His trusty silver warhammer held in one hand. Hiring on and equipping the warrior had been Libash's single biggest expense when organizing the expedition. But the stoic Dwarf had been a constant reassuring presence for the group on their travels.
'Are you sure Libash? All we've seen this past few days is unending Ice. I'm sure were being followed as well.. There are shapes out in the darkness when we camp here I don't like the look of.'
He reflexively tightens his hands grip on his hammer for emphasis.
'I've seen them to.. But we haven't much choice. With the supplies we have we either take the risk of starving going back south or make our mark here. Perhaps below the Ice we find our new homeland. In the bones of the earth. Break up the wagon and get ready to dig you lot. We've got plenty of work ahead!" He says as he gathers a pick from the wagon to begin his work.

After several weeks of excavations finally the staircase pierces a vast underground cavern. Not unlike a twisting canyon with plateaus and grottoes. The muddy ground is covered in various moss with tree like fungus that looks fit for cutting down. As well as plants for gathering. Not a moment is wasted to start bringing down what little remains of their supplies. The draft animals pastured for the time being in the moss fields and a stockpile for food set aside whilst plant plots are set up to sustain the group. Allowing them to survive whilst the fortress proper is excavated. Whilst tired and lacking many creature comforts. It at least looks like the Dwarves of Giltbends don't look like they'll starve any time soon.

Edited for various typos
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:35:45 am by Lexx »

Torspo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14829 on: July 26, 2011, 07:34:00 am »

Just got my first self-grown strawberries brewed into wine, surrounded my above-ground fortress by wall and 1 goblin baby snatcher got decapitated by my carpenter's copper battle axe...

Second year in this fortress and first bad guy so far.

First post on these forums btw :)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14830 on: July 26, 2011, 07:35:38 am »

Before you is a finely designed image of Urist Channelrocks and skinless monsters. Urist Channelrocks is admiring the skinless monsters.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14831 on: July 26, 2011, 07:37:41 am »

Boldropes fell today. :(
Six survivors from the massive invasion from the circus.

Iteb Taperedpages the Soaked Bowl of Paint - 90 something kills and full cotton-candy armour survived with melted head and upper body. Killed a named clown ('Cystcancers') and three others.

"Revax" Rumourtheatre the Copper Pinnacle of Summits - 30 kills, almost full cotton candy, no injuries, two clown kills.

Zefon Anvilwind the Silvery Dale - 25 kills or something like that, got no clown kills but made a lot of severed parts sail off in an arc.

"Kurok'Taa" - all told 12 kills, 6 of which were clowns. no named ones so no title. :S Got a necrotic arm which the only remaining medic cut off.

Reg Kizatkivish - a civilian, Legendary Weaponsmith and Armoursmith, who had pretty much coated the entire militia in armour and weapons on his own. Reg hauled food out to his outdoors burrow and then stayed there while Boldropes was being painted red - the only other one to get to that burrow died of their wounds.

Dobar Ducimnebel - the last of the Original Seven, chief medical dwarf, legendary mason, legendary engraver. Saved Kurok's life by cutting his arm off, then made it to his own burrow.

I abandoned just after this to preserve the lives of the last survivors. :D

Currently running an adventurer to try and find Boldropes. Also, i'm going to write a story for the forums complete with Iteb's ham-fisted illustrations (he's a soldier, not an artist!).

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #14832 on: July 26, 2011, 07:40:24 am »

My walls were too low and goblins shot my dorfs from a hill. What idiocy... Atleast 3 dead, and I have run out of migrants aeons ago. My only hope now is children, Ill wait until they grow up and create great hillbilly fort.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14833 on: July 26, 2011, 08:54:29 am »

Lo and behold, Virsarvesh (Starfurnace) has been brought to it's demise.

First, tentacle monsters from the depths.

Then, firebreathing demon lord.

Then, supermarksward on berserk.

And then large goblin army with weaponmasters and snipers.

And to think that it all happened because I have dug too deep for the adamantine ore... Damnation, that was Fun :D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14834 on: July 26, 2011, 10:16:43 am »

well...another mood.
the twelve...and the sixth made by a child who claimed a craftsshop...i'm tired of earings. nice thing though: he claimed goblin bones...as base material...now i'm looking forward to the creation...waiting for it to post what it is...claimed also diorite blocks. tetrahedrite, green zircons...what else is he going to fetch? other three diorite blocks and a pig iron bar...and he creates:
a giant olm bone ANIMAL TRAP!.
at least it's useful. it's named Morlid...templetightness?
it's worth 54K dwarfbucks...nice.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 987 988 [989] 990 991 ... 3842