Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 982 983 [984] 985 986 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126298 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14745 on: July 22, 2011, 04:26:07 pm »

My mayor is both happy and unhappy about not being punished for murder he committed during the tantrum spiral.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14746 on: July 22, 2011, 05:38:03 pm »

My mayor is both happy and unhappy about not being punished for murder he committed during the tantrum spiral.

It's these oddities that make DF so great.

Ah ha! My armoursmith, the one I trained to replace the one who failed a mood made an artifact candy high boot! I'm sure to most people this would be a facepalm moment, but this is one of only 3 armour pieces I wanted him to make. I've statigically trained up certain dwarves in armoursmithing so that I would eventually have a full suit of artifact armour. Stinthad, the dwarf who made the boot had no preferences for armour so it could have been anything. A high boot, a gauntlet and greaves were the only pieces I didn't have planned.

Right now I have a candy mail shirt and matching pair of high boots. In waiting I have armoursmiths who like helms, breastplates, shields and gauntlets. I just have to hope that the other armoursmiths who have no preferences make my matching gauntlet and greaves.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14747 on: July 22, 2011, 10:01:36 pm »

Finally, after much waiting the demon leader of the goblin civ lead an attack against me, with 5 squads of 12 or so each he sieged my fort. With 20 of my best soldiers, 10 Hammerlords and 10 Master Marksdwarves we tore through the horde most of the killing being done by my militia commander who luckily enough was the one to put his named warhammer through the skull of the demon leader.

I think this is the first time in any fort my military has fought so efficiently against any enemy, nice to see all that effort put into forging great equipment and training paid off....wonder if the goblins will stop attacking me now ive killed all their leaders....
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14748 on: July 22, 2011, 10:45:53 pm »

After wondering why the game was freezing up every time I hit the "glob" screen, even worse than it does at "stone", I realized that a side effect of my monumental ice-bucket-brigade building towers was that I had hundreds of thousands of "ice" globs discarded from where my dwarves were leaving discarded buckets on the ground near the river.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14749 on: July 22, 2011, 11:01:21 pm »

I dug out a big chasm (about 9 or 10 z levels deep) in the surface, and proceeded to build my fortress in it. Now filling it with water. When full, the water level should be 1 z level above the topmost point of the fortress. It has a flushing mechanism to empty the chasm (and build more stuff), and fills through the use of a river (instead of an aquifer, as it's my usual practice. The reason being that aquifers would have made digging the original humongous hole difficult, and filling it impossible -beyond the aquifer level, that is)

I'm noticing that highly pressurized water (through z levels) does strange things, btw. For one, it flows far faster than one would think. I want to try and see if I can weaponize this somehow (maybe make clowns bounce against walls and get hurt?)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:04:45 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #14750 on: July 22, 2011, 11:13:28 pm »

Not much. No goblin attacks even though I'm on my third year, with 5 successful moods and no failures.
I just finished walling off my fortress from the outside world by using 1 small drawbridge in the entrance hallway, a short 15x15 square line of wall around that 2 z-levels high, and then a third, much longer wall originating on the sides of the first one, enclosing a much larger area in front of the inside wall.
Right now... all I'm worried about are anything coming from the depths, since I don't have a military, and my hunter, the only dwarf with any skill with a weapon, was recently incapacitated when he picked on a pair of alligators that were less then thrilled. He's missing his left leg, and a chunk of his left arm. ... I'm also worried about flooding my fortress with a poorly planned attempt to create a cistern.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14751 on: July 22, 2011, 11:28:27 pm »

After a hiatus, returned to DF to work on a new fort appropriately named "Workmine".  Especially since it's in the middle of the tundra; maybe it's meant to be a dwarven gulag...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14752 on: July 22, 2011, 11:34:53 pm »

I've been trying to figure out a way to repair one of my cripples.  He's a rather unique case; when he was an infant, he was savagely mauled by a capybara, but managed to survive.  He's covered in scars, and has lost the ability to walk and most of his ability to grasp.  Unfortunately, my doctors didn't seem to want to operate on a child, so he was mostly left to fend for himself as he grew up, dragging his useless body around by his arms.  After he reached adulthood, I stuck him in the danger rooms naked a few times to try and get his old wounds looked at, but they just repair the latest damage done to him and refuse to give him a crutch or anything.

Also, he attracts a large amount of cats for some reason.  Always seems to adopt at least one kitten out of the litters I send to the butchers.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14753 on: July 23, 2011, 01:38:38 am »

Starting the second year, got the danger room finished, and after about 30 seconds in there, the three dwarfs became legendary in shield usage and fighting. Taking away their shields let them become legendary sword dwarfs in about 20 some seconds. Going hunting with them soon, as my fortress has 39 inhabitants and no meat or fish production.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14754 on: July 23, 2011, 02:38:50 am »

I just embarked on a zone that has a river, flux, shallow metals, deep metals, a volcano. Best embark I've ever had.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14755 on: July 23, 2011, 05:50:00 am »

Forgot to mine more coal... produced only 6 steel bar  but fifty iron bars and forty pig iron. After a time, the smelters produced 200 coke... I realise that I need to get used to the new speed of play.

The Goblins sent two ambush made of bowmen lead by a pikeman. The first one, in autumn, kill two wood haulers, but didn't saw the woodcutter. Most of them ended in cage traps and were later executed by a firing squad. The second one, in winter was detected by a stark raving mad dwarf so no big loss. Some cage traps were not ready so they were loitering in front of the fort, activating stone-fall traps but not the weapon ones...
Then the migrant wave of spring arrived with all those useless dwarves. I've change my immigration politic from "open door" to " if you get past those traps to a meeting zone and enough gobs die to break the ambush and you survive your injuries, you're welcome." The good thing is that my doctors will have a little training and that the coffin industry will enjoy a boost.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14756 on: July 23, 2011, 08:35:16 am »

Hammerdwarf just had an epic duel with a forgotten beast; the deadly dust kind. Ultimately, the hammerdwarf didn't get the kill, because a swordsdwarf ran up and stabbed the thing in the face just after the hammerdwarf had disable the thing... but he's still getting an awesome bed. 
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14757 on: July 23, 2011, 10:17:06 am »

I'm noticing that highly pressurized water (through z levels) does strange things, btw. For one, it flows far faster than one would think. I want to try and see if I can weaponize this somehow (maybe make clowns bounce against walls and get hurt?)

Actually, I believe that pressurized water doesn't flow at all. It just teleports to its destination. I discovered this while testing the great hall/grand crypt/flooding chamber in my first fort. Designated the "flood chamber" and "seal chamber" levers to be pulled, expecting the doors to close before the water reached that level. Unpaused and watched the flood lever get pulled first... BAM! Half my fort was flooded, instantly.

So yeah, if you want to push things around with water, it has to be less than 7/7 deep. I suggest waterfalls for your "slams into an obstacle!" needs. Reserve pressurized water for flash floods--and use with caution.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14758 on: July 23, 2011, 11:50:01 am »

In the spirit of excess and wastefulness, I'm building an iron castle with marble floors.  Hopefully this won't interfere with my metal industry too much.   ::)

Also, Goddagger got it's first siege yesterday.  The only casualty was a Tigerman, who was the first to run out and defend the fortress.  He received a tomb in the Dwarven catacombs.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:00:13 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14759 on: July 23, 2011, 01:42:01 pm »

Just killed my first GCS after it slaughtered 5 dwarfs.
Pages: 1 ... 982 983 [984] 985 986 ... 3842