Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 981 982 [983] 984 985 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126116 times)

OMGTANGERINES

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14730 on: July 21, 2011, 09:49:05 pm »

I decided to get the justice system working, because my mayor was getting angry that nobody was being punished. So, I made the Captain of the Guard a weak, flimsy, quick to tire weaver and stuck him with an adamantine war hammer, in case anyone was designated for a beating (at the time, there were ~20 people who needed to be caged for a while). In chronological order of announcements:
Degel Ushulingiz cancels Drink: Caged.
Muthkat Rakustsefol cancels Encrust with Bone: Caged.
And so on for a while. Then I get the message Muthkat Rakustsefol, Blacksmith is taken by a fey mood! And he has 366 days left in prison.
Then my captain of the guard scored a lucky hit on someone, after the cages ran out, and killed him (with an adamantine war hammer).
Those two were, unfortunately, the ones with wives, eight children apeice, and fifty friends, leaving me with a tantrum spiral.
We were hoping for a constant fort at some point, having players in different time zones so that the fort never actually stopped running.  Come back overnight and find a giant penis has been constructed.  Glory to the penis gods.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14731 on: July 21, 2011, 10:06:47 pm »

Ouch.

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14732 on: July 21, 2011, 10:24:08 pm »

Come around the campfire dwarf and magma lovers alike, I have a tale to regale for you.

My latest volcano fort, Lanceddrills, was off a a very nice start. I found native gold, galena, and hematite all relatively close to my starting position. I got my metal industry up pretty much off the bat. I was also making a pseudo entrance to my fort for any nasty invaders who wished to get mauled by traps, and if they survived that, be burned alive by magma at the end.

However, everything was interrupted by some rude muskoxen who decided to drop by my fort. Now anything with hooves is something to be extremely worried about, especially if they decide to chill in your fort. I was linking up my drawbridges to my main and pseudo entrances when they mauled my mason/mechanic. Hoof right through the skull in fact. That is when I decided to get my two miners and woodcutter to kill the bloody things, seeing as though as they were the only ones with weapons. So, I sent them after the bloody bastards, but not before they killed my brewer/doctor. In the entire process, my woodcutter got some broken bones. Great time for my doctor to die. Also, he is now thirsty, and I have no water source, so he will probably die.

Now, time to try and recover from the vicious and unexpected muskoxen onslaught.

Edit: Yeah, my woodcutter went stark raving mad. Apparently one of the dwarfs that died was his friend.

Edit 2: Some more muskoxen have arrived, presumably for vengeance for their fallen brothers. Good thing I have all my drawbridges up and everyone inside. Bastards...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:21:26 am by Flaming Toadstool »
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14733 on: July 22, 2011, 12:56:43 am »

I started a new fortress today. Ended up abandoning it because my dwarves are friggin' derp. No matter what I tried to do my hammer dwarves would find some excuse to leave the safety of my fortress to kill a monkey or something, getting themselves killed in the process. And I kept getting moods where the thread and cloth I had in stock just wasn't good enough.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14734 on: July 22, 2011, 01:17:36 am »

A project is underway in Daggerdepths, one I never thought i'd do.

A vast amount of space has been dug out on the main floor with everything smoothed over. A little too smoothed. I've found it to be quite ugly, not being able to tell at a glance what is hallway and what is room, so i'm devaluing my fort by paving over all the hallways and ripping them up again. I've grown to appreciate the randomness rough cavern floors have compared to smoothed. It's also more earthy, not quite so... industrialized? Yeah, i'll go with that.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14735 on: July 22, 2011, 04:00:16 am »

With Melbilonshen (Tomechant) in ruins, a new 40d fortress has been founded - Virsarvesh (Starfurnace).

Three years in, it already saw dwarven death, goblin ambushes, kids being born and kidnapped.

It's just quite cold, the brook freezes in winter and occassional herd of mammoth's announce their arrival with trumpeting. There's also adamantine somewhere under all that talc and dolomite, presumably near western edge, but I have yet to find it.

My dwarf lost the very first mayoral elections to some tanner guy, dammit :c
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14736 on: July 22, 2011, 05:27:49 am »

Just used DFFusion to embark on a volcano surrounded by mountains with 14 dwarves. Most of the mountain exterior is obsidian.  :o

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14737 on: July 22, 2011, 05:30:41 am »

Accidentally breached HFS. A passing mason hurriedly erected a wall. The lone casualty was the miner, one Id Esmeng- an Original Seven and a legendary miner. He defeated one and was melted by another.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14738 on: July 22, 2011, 05:58:04 am »

Got a new computer and I've started my first fort since a couple of months. It's great not having lag with a fort over 20 dwarves.

So the fort : Tulondakas (roadcolors), pop: 44, 23rd limestone 252. Built on a mountain and grassland with clay, soil, flux, shallow and deep metals.

It's all going smoothly, only three snatchers came to date. Two were hurt in my stonefall traps and one was kill. Lost a migrant dwarf trying to fight one.

At start I've found lots and lots and lots of tetrahedrite and bituminous coal and a reasonable quantity of limonite, but not the flux stone advertised on the embark screen. So I've started a little metal industry with the copper and the odd silver bar.

In autumn of year 2 : You have struck marble! Praise the miners!
Now I can start a little steel industry to feed my legendary armorsmith.

The bad thing about this fort is the rain... it's raining/snowing nearly all year long.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14739 on: July 22, 2011, 10:13:29 am »

One of my best soldiers just named his silver warhammer with the most badass and appropriate name

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also sitting here hoping something attacks me other than fbs as those keep getting killed by the bat men in my caverns :(
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14740 on: July 22, 2011, 10:16:02 am »

Having not really played DF consistently in a while, apart from sucession games, (which I'm bad at) I genned a new world, which was pretty much devoid of all life apart from elves and badgers, and embarked.
My new forts random name? Towerrighteous. If that isn't a sign, I dunno what is.
Time to build a tower, to smite these foolish elves! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14741 on: July 22, 2011, 11:35:50 am »

My newest for "Frostcrown" is set far to the north of the large region I generated on a mountain bordering taiga that's freezing. A fun quirk ive found already is large amounts of Kaolinite. So i will be making a porcelain industry once established. Also have sand and clay so it will be a great place for many industries. Hoping also to catch and breed some wolves.

Also struck gold! Though water might be the biggest issue. My farming might need to be done down in the caves.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:43:36 am by Lexx »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14742 on: July 22, 2011, 02:41:24 pm »

Found so many thousands of copper ores. Not a single bit of iron or tin.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14743 on: July 22, 2011, 02:58:33 pm »

my first ever gobbo ambush. took me compeltely by surprise

reclaim, and a revenge!!
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14744 on: July 22, 2011, 03:05:37 pm »

So I started a community fortress in another forum. All's well, my first migrants come. Naming, posting of pics, then
Thief! Protect the hoard from skulking filth!
I get this. I get FIVE thieves on a fortress with ELEVEN dwarves. DOES THIS GAME KNOW THAT I"M STARTING A COMMUNITY FORTRESS?!? Oh, and i'm using the Legends Of the Forlorn Realms mod, so 3 of those thieves are Bog Trolls, meaning they don't run, they go mad and charge your screaming dwarves, and by the end, all my dwarves are injured, and one of them is dead.
Ah well, at least the people who are on the other forum know how much !!FUN!! Dwarf Fortress is.
Pages: 1 ... 981 982 [983] 984 985 ... 3842