Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125601 times)

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14610 on: July 16, 2011, 11:40:19 am »

Was just attacked by 15 goblin spearmen and one mounted goblin (Jabberer) , I noticed 10 dwarfs in military wasnt enough for my 80 dwarf encamptment and my fortress went to its doom :)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14611 on: July 16, 2011, 12:10:43 pm »

yeah...one of my adamantine axes became an artifact...so...let's hope it will prosper.
Surely you mean a 'named' object? :)

I've not heard of existing objects being used to make Artefacts.

yes, it was named...it's the "slayer" part which buzzes me off...can't understand If it's the one who was slayed while wielding it, or something else.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14612 on: July 16, 2011, 12:11:41 pm »

making bedrooms for the new lemmings. trying to find the first cavern level (seriously!? level 37 and NO cavern!?), about to have some in fortress arena fun involving 4 trolls and hero swordsdwarf. that is the punishment you get for being useful. maybe they'll come out alive.
update, the swordsdwarf killed the trolls.

with as much ease as if they were kittens. this dorf really does scare me

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14613 on: July 16, 2011, 12:18:08 pm »

Most of the Gobbos did end up getting bored and going home. We only had like six-seven of them left and I was gearing up for a Siege bust  or something just to get my entrance clear... and then our third force of !Fun! arrived. More pages of various forms of Gobbo -lords and led by a General. I think we're in it for the long hall on this one.

The fortress is pretty metal poor, especially since I keep forgetting which metals make what, so our first production order violation (pig iron) ended with the captain of the guard beating our militia commander to death in the food stockpile. "I couldn't imprison him because we have no metal works... guess I'll just need to resort to murder!" Great. Just what we need during a siege. I had to resort to gold, and so our new militia commander is enjoying his lovely golden shackles in the jail. I don't even know why the commander's in trouble; wouldn't da mare get angry at the metalworkers?

Leading me to consider the employment of that bituminous coal table in the manner you guys were talking about earlier vis a vis the captain or da mare.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:21:01 pm by HunterBlackLuna »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14614 on: July 16, 2011, 01:00:03 pm »

So, um...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What should I do with him? Note that he's at most 104 years old.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14615 on: July 16, 2011, 01:02:52 pm »

Sell him to the dorf's for 3 caravans worth of goods. Then deconstruct the depot. Repeat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14616 on: July 16, 2011, 01:04:36 pm »

You can't bring animals to the trade depot right now, it's bugged.

Tame 'im.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14617 on: July 16, 2011, 02:46:05 pm »

Dizzy giant cave spider went out of nowhere and made short work of weaver that was busy setuping loom next to caverns. Bunch of nearest hastily drafted dwarves was a little too late. GCS was killed by kick of conscripted dwarf without any combat experience - chintin is surprisingly weak.

I know weavers are very expendable, but he could at least gather some silk before his inevitable demise. >.< Now there is blood and ichor splattered all over.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #14618 on: July 16, 2011, 03:04:17 pm »

Dining hall in the volcano is nearly done... Now to let the magma come back up, and hope nothing melts!

...Something will probably melt.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14619 on: July 16, 2011, 05:41:29 pm »

The fort's best axedwarf, founder, past mayor, creator of an artefact, slayer of 29 goblins, 3 trolls, 2 giant olms and an elk bird...

...just body-checked a goblin maceman off a low cliff and into the river where she drowned.

She was unbelievably strong, indefatigable, quite durable and agile.

She already had a private tomb assigned. She will be missed, by her only friend, the fort's brewer.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14620 on: July 16, 2011, 07:07:37 pm »

The fort's best axedwarf, founder, past mayor, creator of an artefact, slayer of 29 goblins, 3 trolls, 2 giant olms and an elk bird...

...just body-checked a goblin maceman off a low cliff and into the river where she drowned.

She was unbelievably strong, indefatigable, quite durable and agile.

She already had a private tomb assigned. She will be missed, by her only friend, the fort's brewer.
missed? or drank away with an extra large dose of booze?

Always sucks when this happens. Btw, this is why I suggest all rivers and lakes (ALL) have at least one ramp out of them. If they don't, they are simply traps for stupid dwarves.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14621 on: July 16, 2011, 07:58:07 pm »

Quote from: lazygun on Today at 18:41:29
Always sucks when this happens. Btw, this is why I suggest all rivers and lakes (ALL) have at least one ramp out of them. If they don't, they are simply traps for stupid dwarves.

I've read enough to think that is a good idea, but I am sure that no matter how hard I try, there will be one little pondlet I didn't notice, and Urist McINeedToDrown will find it, likely before I know of it's existence. [And if 3 die trying to channel it out, is that called acceptable losses, or normal, or "human error"?]

And I cleared out that large expanse, had more kids, more grew up to be conscripted. I will soon have 60 in the military, of 254 dwrfs. I need to learn to better train them, as only 10 have become masters, and they kill so fast that no one else can try. (Something about severe beatings and a brain. I need to give them different duty so the younger ones can die train.)
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14622 on: July 16, 2011, 08:13:13 pm »

I'm making an artificial cavern, it's going to be made of several segments, 10x10 square, going in a spiral pattern all the way to the caverns.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

yer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14623 on: July 16, 2011, 08:24:29 pm »

One of my dwarfs just made an artifact headscarf, featuring not one, but TWO different pictures of elven historical figures mowing down dwarves.  I suspect tree-hugging hijinks.

Legendary or no, if he likes the elves so much, I have a special place for him to go commune with nature.  And by "nature," I mean a pit brimming with angry badgers.
Sometimes you are not supposed to succeed, or even know if you succeeded or not. Sometimes it is best to just keep testing until you run out of cake enough elves have been killed you find a new point for the testing, and succeed in it.

And basically, if elves keep dying, it will still be recorded as a success.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14624 on: July 16, 2011, 08:50:59 pm »

I finished building my magma moat so I dropped some plump helmet men into it. Turns out that plump helmet men don't die in magma even though they catch on fire so I sent some marksdwarves to kill them. The bolts managed to cut off the plump helmet men's appendages which, while on fire, flew up 1 z lvl and set on of my marksdwarfs on fire. Luckily the area was contained and the marksdwarf only lost the fat on his head.
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 3842