Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125000 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14460 on: July 10, 2011, 05:43:19 pm »

There are now 45 dwarves in my fort.

18 of them are adults.  The oldest child is 9 years old.

The married adult dwarves are pretty much popping out a new dwarf every year, one per couple.  I'm being buried in dwarfkids, lol.

However, dwarfkids are the only source of new dwarves - as it's been 1000 years since my dwarven civilization last had a ruler.

Can't wait for another three years to pass so I'll start getting some new useful dwarves.

Are you getting any immigrants?

No, there is no dwarven civ, there is no elven civ, the humans had a civilization when I started, but they haven't sent a caravan yet, and I've been there over 20 years.

It's just my dwarves, the goblins, and a weak human civ.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14461 on: July 10, 2011, 06:01:53 pm »

Dikefaith had a miner rise from the dead. Mafol Tradegood was his name. He was one of my initial two miners whom I had dig a well. While the water was liquid. He drowned as a result and his body is unrecoverable at this point. Hell, his body was unrecoverable since he drowned. I don't know what to do. His body has yet to be recovered, the water is liquid, and his ghost is floating around haunting my 29-dwarf population. What do I do?!?!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14462 on: July 10, 2011, 06:11:09 pm »

Dikefaith had a miner rise from the dead. Mafol Tradegood was his name. He was one of my initial two miners whom I had dig a well. While the water was liquid. He drowned as a result and his body is unrecoverable at this point. Hell, his body was unrecoverable since he drowned. I don't know what to do. His body has yet to be recovered, the water is liquid, and his ghost is floating around haunting my 29-dwarf population. What do I do?!?!
Cut a slab of rock at the mason's shop, and then have a craftsdwarf honor his memory by carving his name and deeds onto the slab.
Put the slab somewhere near the well, so that all may know he sacrificed his life to bring their wounded water.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14463 on: July 10, 2011, 06:12:59 pm »

Make a closable drain under your well to flush pollutants away. You might lose the dwarf that makes the final breach but isn't that a price worth paying?

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14464 on: July 10, 2011, 06:38:10 pm »

Cut a slab of rock at the mason's shop, and then have a craftsdwarf honor his memory by carving his name and deeds onto the slab.
Put the slab somewhere near the well, so that all may know he sacrificed his life to bring their wounded water.

Nobody was wounded, as this was about a few months after arriving. And all of my stonemasons are either mining, are busy building my town hall out of stone or are drafted and have all labors except hauling disabled. So Mafol is gonna be haunting the city until I get his memorial slab carved and placed. And I guess he did help dig out the immense storerooms in the side of that hill of sand that I embarked next to...

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14465 on: July 10, 2011, 06:38:10 pm »

Waiting for a goblin siege to slaughter is boring. I'm also trying to entice the elves into attacking.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14466 on: July 10, 2011, 07:00:47 pm »

Place a kill order that the liason be murdered when the human caravan gets there.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14467 on: July 10, 2011, 07:03:08 pm »

That's assuming you modded in human guild reps. If not, just slaughter their caravans until they get pissy.

Do NOT attack the dwarven liaison, unless you want a loyalty cascade.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14468 on: July 10, 2011, 10:18:26 pm »

I placed the memorial slab by that hole in the ground I used to call a well. And Dikefaith's militia captain withdrew from society, a secretive mood. Uh-oh... I may not have what he wants so insanity is inevitable, unless the mood needs saguaro wood, random gems, stone, glass or cloth.

I've never had to deal with a moody dwarf before. What the HELL do I do!?!?!

EDIT: He's claimed my carpenter's workshop...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:21:42 pm by UristMcHuman »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14469 on: July 10, 2011, 10:50:16 pm »

All strange moods are the same, it's just that Fell moods require the murder of a dwarf and also that the mood dwarf be depressed and Possessions don't result in a Legendary skill. There's no need to freak out.

The Bridge has been raised, and each season a dozen traders can be heard dying to the dozens of ambushers that lurk in the forest beyond. The miners, engravers, and gem carvers hurry to finish the temple to Idek the High Control so that she might favor the fortress and grant those who still have the strength to take up arms the ability to Discipline the interlopers. Meanwhile the Mechanics and Haulers hurry to fulfill the late Lanceshoved's vision of a self-sustained waterfall in the dining room. While this goes on Kol Spunshoot hurries to forge enough spears to arm the entire adult population of the fortress, with the aid of Mistem Foundink, Iton Admirebronze, Kivish Girderbaldness, and their team of a dozen or so furnace operators and wood burners.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14470 on: July 10, 2011, 11:37:42 pm »

Lucky, even when I'm at war with the goblins they still haven't attacked me after 6 years and 160+ dwarves, and easily over a million generated wealth. So far, I have gotten full steel (breastplate, cap, helm, greaves, gauntlets, high boots, shield, weapon) on every single dwarf of the 20 dwarf military and they are currently honing their skills on each other and the local wildlife. Bor-ing, guess it's time to butcher the elves until they start a war.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14471 on: July 10, 2011, 11:48:36 pm »

or you can visit the circus

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14472 on: July 11, 2011, 12:55:43 am »

TowerDivine is one year in.  Twenty-two dwarves laboring away and only one casualty so far.  A trade caravan finally arrived and I got a few anvils and more picks.

Four levels of marble discovered so far.  And swimming in clay (Kaolinite) and yellow sand (a whole level).  Multiple ores discovered (zinc, galena, gold) but no good   
weapon ores.  Until the third cavern breach turned up a spoilerite spire.

And all three cavern levels were hit within 30 Z-levels of the surface, with magma found soon afterwards at Z+102 (embark was Z+140).  Considering magma was Z-10 in my last fort this is a much better result.

So the magma industries are getting started and other things rounding into place.  Plenty for everyone to do and it's about time to start expanding the workshops and residence levels again.  (And as I type this the third wave of migrants arrive... twenty of them.)

I expect goblin visitors shortly.  Too much wealth and they live too close to ignore this fortress for that long.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14473 on: July 11, 2011, 01:12:06 am »

Boldropes has a murderous goblin ghost. I can't engrave, but he hasn't moved from the corpse stockpile in a good year of gameplay. Same with a dwarf ghost- not listed on the engrave list and he hasn't moved from the fortress gates either...

In other news, Boldropes lost a weaver to a crundle. (!)

Rurik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14474 on: July 11, 2011, 01:20:24 am »

My fortress Graniteflags has a problem. I built a moat and a wall around the entrance and the surrounding area (probably too big area, pretty much like 20x50 tiles) and decided to chop down most of the trees outside the area. You know, if something happened and I couldn't venture outside the area, at least I'd have lots of wood and the area within the walls and the moat.

Lots of trees were cut, but only a few dwarves hauled the wood. I looked and saw that the wood stockpile was full and that wood was only being used for making charcoal. I made another wood stockpile and all the idlers - some 35 dwarves - went hauling it. Just as they were near the drawbridge, BAM - goblin ambush. I haven't got lots of military experience and apparently I set my dwarves training too late. Anyway, my squad of seven dwarves with copper equipment couldn't prevent the massacre and some 20 dwarves were left dead. Others are crippled, one has bled to death in the workshop corridors and everyone throws a tantrum. I haven't got any hospitals and the information overflow feels too much right now.

I don't know what to do. Considering abandoning fortress.
It is Fun until someone gets hurt. Then it's Hilarious.
Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 3842