Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124619 times)

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14370 on: July 07, 2011, 12:03:23 pm »

Okay and were on to year 4 at Hammergorge. Apart from a now caged Minotaur and 3 snatchers there hasn't been any threats. I even have some tame badgers breeding a fine supply of bone and meat. Every year I've imported all the silver, copper, bronze, iron and steel possible from traders and am finally kitting out my most experienced militia in one squad equipped with decent weapons. One has grown attached to an iron whip I imported so I'll see how effective he is when the first ambushes come. The newly appointed mayor has so far only requested gold items (likes gold) and high boots of any material. Which is extremely easy to achieve given this forts resources and what I'm making anyway.

Plans for the next few years. 3x5 bedroom with cabinet, coffer, bed and door for every resident. Some stylish quarters for my mayor, Dig down to the caverns to kill, conquer and find more metals to use. Set up a highly decorated rehabilitation jail for when I appoint a captain of the guard. Possibly build a maze for my minotuar to prowl around in and kill elves and goblins I throw down to it.

Edit: Oh and it seems theyve skipped ambushers straight to a vile force of darkness besieging me. The weapon traps and stonefall corridors should be more than enough for whats here though.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:06:04 pm by Lexx »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14371 on: July 07, 2011, 12:47:56 pm »

Apparently amnesia can be helpful. The more you know!

That is awesome, and I have never seen it before. Mod? Obscure personality trait? My own inexperience with hammerers?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14372 on: July 07, 2011, 12:50:16 pm »

Apparently amnesia can be helpful. The more you know!

That is awesome, and I have never seen it before. Mod? Obscure personality trait? My own inexperience with hammerers?

I bet my money of pure coincidence of Hammerer forgetting hsi demand while he was talking, thus increasing his speaking skills experience, thus getting stats increase ;p
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14373 on: July 07, 2011, 12:55:42 pm »

I've been keeping my population low to have a more long-term fort but I was getting bored with only ambushes, so I modded the entity file so they'll siege me.

It's now the 3rd and largest seige in Daggerdepths. 2 squads of bowgoblins a squad of pikegoblins, another of speargoblins and a bunch of trolls. Their leaders were a couple hammer lords, a pikemaster and... a dwarf. An unarmed, unarmoured, unskilled dwarf who was the law-giver of the goblin civ.

Checking into legends, the whole civ seems to be mostly dwarves, and law-givers rarely seem to rule for more then a couple years before being cut down by night creatures or other beasts. Stosbub Xunnako managed to survive a couple attacks by a titan and some monster so I guess they thought he was qualified.

Cue my military of 28, virtually all legendary in masterwork iron or steel equipment to march into battle with grins on their faces as the goblin horde walk into the buzz-saw that is their weapons.

It was Ingish Stormblockade who slew the dwarven law-giver, whom although was a legendary axedwarf and fighter had up to that point never gotten a kill (That's what I like most about a large military, only the fastest and strongest dwarves get the glory most of the time). Even when all of the goblin siegers were either dead or fleeing, Stosbub held his ground to the very end like a true dwarf. He may have been my enemy, but he was a dwarf, so he has a place my my catacombs. Ingish Stormblockade earned the nickname 'Law-taker'.

I'm fairly certain the rulers of my elven civ will prove to be a tougher fight when I eventually piss them off enough. If you don't believe me...

Spoiler: Queen Atera (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Druid Alala (click to show/hide)

Atera and Alala, or the terror twins as i'm sure they're called in Yellvines. A simple killing on the battlefield won't do, I need to capture them somehow. And then ...

(frighteningly, there was a more horrible elf out there with nearly 5k kills, ile Blowingnatures. She was princess of the same elven civ, but was killed by a bronze colossus 78 years before world gen ended)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14374 on: July 07, 2011, 01:32:48 pm »

well then, gripwhips was surrounded by a vile force of darkness.
having forgotten to raise a bridge they entered from the side through the the farming fields, and became mobile target to my squadrons of marksdwarf. Their troll were pincushioned and annihilitated. they did manage to break a farm plot though.
On the other hand, a dabbling axedwarf singlehandedly removed from it's mount and killed not one, not two, but three enemies goblin.
The crossbowers were ravaged by an incoming wave of War dogs. and a few idiotical goblin mincemawed by the traps.
All while listening to E.S Posthumus -Indra. music.
when the siege was lifted my dwarves were following the few remaining.
casualties were only five, plus one who is at the moment mad. i think because they butchered her only son, husband and the like, and is now babbling.
But all in all, it was quite epic. the charging dwarves, the battle, i'm rereading it immediately.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14375 on: July 07, 2011, 01:37:51 pm »

Hammergorge is dead. Due to some TERRIBLE fighting by my militia. Half had steel shortswords and the other had silver warhammers. With a piecemeal of bronze/iron armor with copper shields. 20 goblins overwhelmed them utterly. And are running amok in the fortress after they scared some local wildlife into setting off the traps.

I'm hoping that last one was a fluke and they're not learning..

Edit: Also starting a new world. But Adding [NO_EAT] [NO_DRINK] to kobolds just for laughs to see what happens.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 01:42:03 pm by Lexx »

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14376 on: July 07, 2011, 01:46:56 pm »

FutureTowns has held off a White Tigerman siege with only one casualty, and that was from dodging into a murky pool and drowning.  I even managed to capture one in a cage trap.  More training for my Marksdwarf squad.

I have mined out some candy, but strand extraction is taking a while since I have no trained strand extractors.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14377 on: July 07, 2011, 02:34:37 pm »

Laughing my ass off at the thought of a giant slug with curly hair:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Someone really liked their food:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14378 on: July 07, 2011, 02:37:56 pm »

Tonight I have been blessed with the one of rarest occurences concerning Dwarven Anatomy and birth.

I'm proud of my dwarves.

EDIT: The first one is even 'techinically' older brother of the second! How nice, they keep them chronologically correct :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:46:13 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14379 on: July 07, 2011, 03:04:02 pm »

now then. let me present you ast zonsemir.
He is. Or he was, my butcher.
He is still alive, for the moment, in the hospital.
In the first gobling siege (just instant before becoming a capital, yeahy!), he was outside for armok know what reason, maybe a sock. He was brutally hit and lost ALL HIS LEFT SIDE. left arm, left hand, left leg.
that didn't stop him, and he survived.
he got in the hospital, and then went out again.
Now, an ambush strikes.
Guess which side has been hurt? yup, the right side.
so now my dwarf is armless, handless and especially...STILL ALIVE.
how the hell do you manage to stay alive after a siege and an ambush!? you're a butcher! an unarmed unarmored butcher! unless you're hiding your true superdwarfenly unstopable regeneration you should die!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14380 on: July 07, 2011, 05:53:49 pm »

It's....alive!

One of my founding dwarves got ambushed on a work area of the outworks.  A goblin thief back stabbed him in the gut and then a goblin ambush team of archers and a hammer goblin
turned up in the same tunnel.

The dwarf takes a hammering, about a dozen arrows, and *then* punches the hammer goblin in the spine, bites his leg, and shakes him around twice by the leg before tossing him a few
squares.  Takes two more arrows and finally gives in to the pain, but not before watching the hammer goblin die.

The militia squad arrives to find him still alive and he gets hauled to the hospital.  22 red wounds, multiple broken limbs, fractured guts.  No artery or head injuries luckily.  Two months later he
is up and walking around with four casts, two splints, and a pile of sutures and dressings on him complaining about having NO JOB.  A few infections are the main worry at this point. 
His description includes "inexhaustible, but slow to heal".

I should start doing some engravings to see if I can get this event to show up.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14381 on: July 07, 2011, 06:19:32 pm »

Mirthful forest overlooking a haunted lake.
It's Unicorns vs. Alligators!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14382 on: July 07, 2011, 06:54:41 pm »

Daram Mave, Broker cancels Clean Self: Unconscious
Platypus venom is crazy shit, y'all.
EDIT:Woah. His upper body and liver are rotten.
EDIT 2: Doc patched him up nicely! I think he'll do fine.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:25:07 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14383 on: July 07, 2011, 08:46:44 pm »

In The Infamous City of Artificing, a group of haulers had taken to hanging out on the roof (or what is currently the roof) of the Alchemist tower. So when one of the masons screwed up and caused a cave in, we lost about half the fort.
Luckily, we only lost one mason. The rest were proles.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14384 on: July 07, 2011, 09:22:49 pm »

how the hell do you manage to stay alive after a siege and an ambush!? you're a butcher! an unarmed unarmored butcher!

He's destined to be a different kind of butcher... a butcher of elves and goblins!
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 3842