Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972657 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14205 on: June 29, 2011, 05:18:25 am »

Aaaand who forgot to bring picks... again? And where's our food? And just 10 units of booze?

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE HAVE FUN!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14206 on: June 29, 2011, 06:24:57 am »

After seeing yet another "Why Can'T I find any Iron" thread, I've decided that my monstrous machine fort will not use any iron, even though I think I have some, simply out of spite.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14207 on: June 29, 2011, 06:45:50 am »

After ten years of cleaning the map only four items were left in my drained moat...so the elves managed to get themselves ambushed on the bridge and now we're back to square one with the moat filled with trash and body parts  >:(

I discovered trolls produce a hell of a lot of smoke when thrown into the magma pit...maybe I can do something with that...

My cavern digging has grinded to a halt as every available stockpile is filled to the brim with galena. I'm replacing everything in the fort with silver. The silver road from the edge of the map to the moat changes into an adamantine road on the other side. Maybe replace the bridges with gold ?

Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14208 on: June 29, 2011, 06:57:22 am »

Just lost 5 dwarves to two squads of goblins.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14209 on: June 29, 2011, 07:10:26 am »

After seeing yet another "Why Can'T I find any Iron" thread, I've decided that my monstrous machine fort will not use any iron, even though I think I have some, simply out of spite.

Building everything out of brass then?
Using just stone and wood seems just a bit .... dunno....trogloditic?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14210 on: June 29, 2011, 11:32:47 am »

My Woodcutter/Broker braved the newly-opened caverns for some much-needed lumber. I had no idea a blind cave ogre had just appeared. The ogre attacked relentlessly, but a few things saved him:

1) Since my Woodcutters are outdoor dwarves, I always have a war dog accompany them.
2) After the war dog was beaten to a pulp, the dwarf managed a few good hits with his bronze axe.
3) After the ogre punched the dwarf's lights out, it somehow got a hold of his right sock and beat him with it for thirteen pages until my militia got there to help.

He's sleeping off some pretty serious injuries, but he was saved from a very embarrassing memorial slab.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14211 on: June 29, 2011, 01:05:43 pm »

Fort in the second year. Everything is going smoothly, so I've decided to play with some magma and I cannot see this ending well for any dwarf involved.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #14212 on: June 29, 2011, 01:28:52 pm »

Wait... that last bit sounds suspiciously like a summary of Dwarf Fortress anyway.

Currently digging for any metal besides gold, since the stockpiles are already full of it, and I can't seem to find anything else.
Also going to set up traps and walls soon. Lots of traps. Since I don't have any other metal, I'm sure that the inevitable siege will be very, very hard to deal with if I don't get some defences out.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14213 on: June 29, 2011, 02:59:29 pm »

Wait... that last bit sounds suspiciously like a summary of Dwarf Fortress anyway.

Currently digging for any metal besides gold, since the stockpiles are already full of it, and I can't seem to find anything else.
Also going to set up traps and walls soon. Lots of traps. Since I don't have any other metal, I'm sure that the inevitable siege will be very, very hard to deal with if I don't get some defences out.

Did your embark description say "Metal" or "Metals", it's entirely possible that gold is the only metal on your map.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #14214 on: June 29, 2011, 03:13:55 pm »

As it's stated in the thread I made, http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87840.0, I have shallow metal and I believe it was deep metal. So I'm hoping my deep metal is something besides gold. If not... Well, I hope the caravans bring me useful stuff. Until they do, though, it'll be solid gold everything for awhile.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14215 on: June 29, 2011, 03:35:50 pm »

Yeah, try to embark in an area that has "Shallow Metals" and "Deep Metals". Otherwise, you will get horribly bored with the monotony of having only one metal accessible.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14216 on: June 29, 2011, 04:45:26 pm »

Started a new fort, found tons of Native gold and Galena, a couple pockets of aluminum, a handful of hematite veins, and tons of marble all on a volcano map.  One miner died digging out the magma smelter channel (Darwin award nominee).  Didn't replace him until the following spring.

My militia contains one axedwarf (commander) and one speardwarf, both legendary fighters and shield users (thank you, Danger Room) and handled a frogmen siege easilly (Fort Defense mod).

The only trouble I'm having is making sure I have enough bedrooms (at least meager for everyone but the nobles, they get the good rooms as needed).  100 population cap should make make that easier to deal with.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14217 on: June 29, 2011, 10:24:15 pm »

A goblin who just wouldn't die was being shot by 4 average-skilled marksdwarves. The goblin eventually bled to death. He had 12 bronze bolts stuck in his body, and easily had 100 bolts shot at him. Just prior to death, almost all of his body parts and organs, including what should be mortal wounds, were red.

Another gobbo from the same bunch was taken down with a single headshot with a steel bolt. They just don't make them the same.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14218 on: June 29, 2011, 10:43:05 pm »

Because my military is woefully ill-equipped and understaffed, and these ambushers won't go away, we've had to seal ourselves off from the world at least until a caravan with guards arrives and mops the floor with them. I've never felt so n00bish as I have today (Also, I'm learning how burrows work before I've never seen a need for them as anything more than stay-inside orders until now!). Luckily, we've got a pretty big courtyard and with nobody going out there to trample the new growth we shan't want for trees. I'm loathe to breach the caverns for the same reason that I can't lower the bridge, obviously.

Seriously though. Those ambushers...they're just chilling out there. Waiting.

EDIT: Ah, the nephilim have arrived. Perfect.
I knew there was a reason I thought they were cool despite their inability to actually trade.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:46:35 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14219 on: June 30, 2011, 06:25:39 am »

3 10 squads armed with iron axes and the clothes their wearing = Simultaneous Goblin and Centaur siege decimation.
On an unrelated note, I set up my magma trap for Sylvan elves.
(Genesis)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 3839