Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 945 946 [947] 948 949 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972362 times)

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14190 on: June 28, 2011, 10:12:01 am »

Things are going pretty good.  Got my gladiator arena carved out (including seating area), my melee squad training in the danger room, my crossbow squad shooting targets, cage traps covering the entrance in case of random goblin snatchers, and my food industry is up to maximum and I got plenty  of food and booze.  Tempted to set up a bunch of cage traps on the surface to catch the roaming badgers / giant badgers.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14191 on: June 28, 2011, 11:07:07 am »

Crikey, you seem to get everywhere. I played LSN briefly some time ago, and I think I've also seen you on the Armageddon Empires forum. We must stop meeting like this, lol.

LOL! Next we'll discover that we live next door to each other or something. :P

Indeed I am on the AE forums as well and I still miss LSN terribly. A couple of players are working out ways to play head to head LSN games without the turn server. So far it works but is awfully clunky.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14192 on: June 28, 2011, 02:13:31 pm »

lol lazygun, just had my second siege too.
Goblins and trolls mounted on critters.
Well, they came at the same time as the human caravan which they killed pretty swiftly.
My marksdwarves shot at the enemies from the walls again, while I lead them through my trap corridors, captured eight of them.
After a while I send out my melee squad to deal with the remaining ones.
Lost one dwarf out of stupidity again, one was slightly wounded.
Now I fear the humans may attack me because their caravan was lost, so I'm just moving all the goods the camel had into my fortress. :D

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14193 on: June 28, 2011, 02:40:02 pm »

failed a mood, sniff. happens rarely, but you can't ask for glass were there is no glass at all.
so the dwarfs goes berserk.
but his right next to the cotton candy fully dressed proficient axedwarf.
Flying limbs ensued.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14194 on: June 28, 2011, 06:41:49 pm »

Just got around to start a new and fresh fort, in a freshly generated world. 4x4 warm/temperate Untamed Wilds hilly embark with clay, sand, flux, shallow and deep metals and a little stream in the corner for running water. No aquifer, as I decided that I can't be bothered to struggle with it right now. Preembark info has also shown nearby deposits of goblinite.

Created a few initial outside stockpiles and workshops. Three dwarfs dug straight down for magma and managed by sheer luck to dig all the way to semi-molten rock layer without revealing neither the magma sea nor BOTH cavern layers (the world has only two to save FPS). Some pillar that must've been. Exploration a few z-levels above resulted in finding the top of the magma sea, furnaces are being set up there. Exploratory digging for caverns will have to wait until more dwarfpower arrives.

The ambusher dragged a slain elephant to the wagon with him. I turned off hunting in Therapist immediately to avoid the rest of the herd coming after me, as I've read the tales of Boatmurdered (they seem unmoved by the untimely demise of their comrade, though). Butchering the elephant produced a shitton of meat and bones, giving me time to move everything underground without having to worry about setting up the farms ASAP.

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14195 on: June 28, 2011, 06:46:54 pm »

Finishing up my trap hallway filled with green glass serrated disk stacks of 5 and a bunch of cage traps. Then I have 2 spear traps on repeaters going off at the end.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14196 on: June 28, 2011, 06:51:59 pm »

Now hoping my mayor gets replaced before his mandate expires.

We discovered no platinum. The mountainhomes have no platinum. The humans bring no platinum.

Ho hum! Time to start constructing a really opulent jail.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14197 on: June 28, 2011, 07:03:36 pm »

I saw a troll rotting away in my refuse stockpile with no recollection of it terrorizing my population. The caverns had only just been breached and my fort is barely a year old.

A quick look in the reports shows that it had wandered from the caverns into a hallway full of stone traps. The falling rocks softened him up a bit, after which my Miner/Bookkeeper hacked him apart with a copper pick. This brave bastard shall be retired into my militia once the fortress is laid out.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14198 on: June 28, 2011, 07:35:02 pm »

LOL! Next we'll discover that we live next door to each other or something. :P

Indeed I am on the AE forums as well and I still miss LSN terribly. A couple of players are working out ways to play head to head LSN games without the turn server. So far it works but is awfully clunky.

Well your avatar is instantly recognizable, heh.

On topic: The elves continue to come in peace (spoilsports), but at least the goblin action is hotting up now. I've had awful problems getting enough wood for making charcoal, and I'm beginning to get a bit teasy that my maps never provide any coal. I'm heading straight for the magma at the moment, so that might solve my problems. I got tired of replacing my ill-equipped military dudes, so I've invested my metal in a corridor of weapon traps instead. It's rather satisfying to watch them charge in and explode.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14199 on: June 28, 2011, 09:16:16 pm »

Murakgoden has had a forgotten beast. First a bristleworm made from shell, which a legendary axedwarf took down with the aid of his (modded) pet cougar. One game year later, TWO forgotten beasts followed by a swamp titan. :S
The first was a chocolate termite with a trunk that breathed fire. I don't know if it was actually chocolate- but it died extremely quickly. Ebra Kunsangnosm lost a leg to a miller he ambushed. The miller SCRATCHED the leg and the severed part sailed off in an arc. I gave that miller a better room. :P
The same legendary axedwarf took one shot with his masterwork adamantine axe and his masterwork steel axe and cut it in half. Ebra did not get a single hit in on either dwarf- I think it tried to bite the miller who dodged it.

After that was Gulgun Taragoth, a red snail with rusty patchy feathers. It burps and belches. I had to beware its deadly spittle! This one was very slightly harder. Took two dwarves five seconds to chop it to bits. Forgotten Beast roast, anyone?
Revax (a dorfed friend) took her masterwork spear and sliced a wing off- crippling the beast until it couldn't fly. Then Iteb, the dual-wielding axe lord militia commander came and stole the kill. :P

Seconds after Gulgun Taragoth was defeated:
The Swamp Titan Ilan Resmipado Dungdarulak has come!  A towering feathered spider.  It has four long, straight horns and it has a regal bearing. Its dark scarlet feathers are downy.  Beware its poisonous bite!

I sent the entire military at it, burrowed the civilians and sealed the fortress's front doors. Murakgoden is more or less self sufficient now. Iteb the glory-seeking military commander got there first, what with his amazing agility. Iteb took one shot, cut off its third leg, rendering it PALE. It then charged at him, knocking him down roughly six times to his one attempt to attack. More or less like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ilan took the longest yet. Pansy elves ran off. Iteb looked like he was going to get injured by a lucky shot from it- but his pet elephant came and diverted attention long enough to let Iteb get up and fight truly. The rest of the military decided now was a good time to sleep.

Revax almost got there though.

It's been an interesting few game years.

Ebra and Gulgun:
Ilan:

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14200 on: June 28, 2011, 09:31:45 pm »

I accidentally robbed an elf caravan. I mass forbade everything in the depot so my dorfs would just leave it there for the next caravan and the elves wouldn't pick up their shit.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14201 on: June 28, 2011, 09:37:10 pm »

Because of the rapid rate of birth amongst my animals, whenever I see a birth I immediately switch over to the animals screen to mark them for butchery. Now I'm so accustomed to doing so that I reflexively do it when one of my Dwarves gives birth.

...Now I'm wishing I could. Babies? What am I supposed to do with this?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14202 on: June 28, 2011, 09:46:27 pm »

My dwarves flee the caverns when the giant glass humanoid Vucar the Urn of Cleaning appears.   :o
Apparently his poison spittle is actually liquid soap and it threatens the Urist with actually being cleansed!   ;)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14203 on: June 28, 2011, 10:15:03 pm »

I recently embarked on top of a cave that I thought to be a kobold cave in adventure mode. I explored the cave, and after a few dozen sets of down ramps, I got a message saying "You have discovered a cavern deep underground". I hit the floor finally (no, I didn't jump, though I was tempted to after getting bored) and looked around a bit. I found no evidence of it being a kobold cave. I freaked out a little, and wanted to go back upstairs, 'cause I didn't want to get eaten by one of Shelob's in-laws (aka, GCSs) or a FB. So, I made a tactical retreat up the ramps, and my bowman companion got attacked by a troglodyte. I was ambushed. My bowman buddy took a few hits, I tried to stab the troglodyte with my dagger (I was trying to be a ninja-type), he dodged and it came up with "You strike at The Troglodyte but he jumps away! The Troglodyte has died after colliding with an obstacle". I assume he stupidly jumped off of a cliff. We escaped to my hometown, and I retired for a while. I then came back to the same cave and set my party of 7 there. I wonder if I will get a GCS or FB before I'm ready...

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14204 on: June 29, 2011, 04:36:15 am »

My dwarves flee the caverns when the giant glass humanoid Vucar the Urn of Cleaning appears.   :o
Apparently his poison spittle is actually liquid soap and it threatens the Urist with actually being cleansed!   ;)
This could be one of those French (READ: AWFUL)commercials....
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:02:16 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 945 946 [947] 948 949 ... 3839