Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 944 945 [946] 947 948 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969313 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14175 on: June 27, 2011, 04:09:03 am »

Lol, good work on the plant. It really looks like a proper power plant :D

Also, snooow.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14176 on: June 27, 2011, 06:53:06 am »

Post save please! or world parameters, I've been on a futile quest for a .25 elf war for far too long.

I had to google how to recover the information, but I think this file contains all you need.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I used the basic world gen, and I don't think I made any changes except to turn the world size down a bit for FPS reasons. I just used whatever dwarven civilization they assigned me to, so I don't know which one is at war.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14177 on: June 27, 2011, 08:40:17 am »

Decided to test my Militia commander against a giant badger.  He is now permanently a southpaw.

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14178 on: June 27, 2011, 01:03:57 pm »

Sigh.

Everything is going good. I have my fort well established. I have a moat covering the sides of my fortress where there are no cliff faces, and I am building a wall behind the moat to discourage any swimmers. I also found the second cavern layer and found magma :). But alas, everything comes at a cost. As my mason/mechanic was building a section of wall, a badger interrupted him, chased him around, and caused my mason/mechanic to "do a barrel roll" into a small pond that was 7/7. I could not get a ramp up in time. My poor old mason drowned, and is now lying in a coffin thanks to the efforts of my pump operator to get all that water out of the pond so someone could fetch him. Now I have my carpenter taking up the mason job, and I don't know who I'll give the mechanic job to; everyone else is busy working or training.
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14179 on: June 27, 2011, 01:13:42 pm »

That is why I always dig ramps (into it) as soon as I embark in an area with open water.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14180 on: June 27, 2011, 03:38:03 pm »

I reclaimed my fortress that was annihilated by elves, but now our civilizations seem to have made peace and there are friendly elves wandering around on the map. Now an elven caravan has turned up too.

That's a little disappointing. I was looking forward to all-out war with the little buggers. I could still slaughter them, but it's not the same if they don't fight back.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14181 on: June 27, 2011, 03:45:59 pm »

The Kobold Camp of sea bears does well despite being far from the ocean, and in a forest that is bare of bears. Several traps have been set up utilizing metal weaponry stolen from a cavern, ensuring that any who would be foolish enough to attack will meet a grizzly end. However, one of our spearbolds appears to be miserable from long patrol duty, hopefully she won't snap and do something nautical. If all goes well, we should survive another season.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14182 on: June 27, 2011, 05:23:13 pm »

Alecity: Lots of bamboo, lots of fire clay and lots of limestone.

HEAVEN!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14183 on: June 27, 2011, 05:42:25 pm »

@Newbunkle: I've heard of that bug, beware, they'll only stay friendly until another siege/ambush shows up... So what I'm saying is, keep 'em outside. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14184 on: June 27, 2011, 05:53:38 pm »

Things are coming along nicely in my fort. I've finished trading, fixed up the "baths" near both the entrances, and am almost done with the new outer walls. I'm about to set up a pump stack to make a "shower" for my dwarfs going down to where my forges will soon be. Wish me luck.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14185 on: June 27, 2011, 07:35:04 pm »

However, one of our spearbolds appears to be miserable from long patrol duty, hopefully she won't snap and do something nautical.

And here I thought I'd learned all the usual euphemisms. I only have one question:

Will I regret it if I ask what "doing something nautical" means?
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14186 on: June 27, 2011, 09:08:55 pm »

One of my forts, Dikefaith, had to take the entire dwarf caravan's goods. (Actually, I forbidded the depot after the traders arrived and unloaded). The fort had no food for a little while, and 3 dwarfs came up with, "Urist McDwarf cancels Job: Hunting vermin for food". So I simply forbidded and hid the depot until the traders left. I don't really care if the dwarfs stop sending me caravans, because  it's not the dwarf traders I depend on. I depend on the humans and elves for cloth and metal and other appropriate crap. So now Dikefaith has a massive amount of Plump Helmets (or PHs, for short).

Another fort, Lanternchannels, has just arrived. I picked a mountain with a volcano and a broadleaf forest, and found iron and copper right off the bat. I dug about 50 or so tiles back and found galena and FOOL'S GOLD!!! I wonder if my metalsmith would be stupid enough to try and forge it into some random craft. I picked a volcano site because I didn't want to try and dig a few dozen levels just to find coal or lignite, nor did I want to piss off the elves by burning hundreds of trees per year smelting metal ores. With copper, I can get my militia started with my first wave of immigrants. Actually, I can get a scout or two patrolling the map, but their training spears (to function as hiking sticks, basically) would be crap against anything that can fight back. Anyway, with iron, I can get my first batch of Axemen started up, as their uniforms require only leather armor and cloth pants, with iron being used for their axes. With both, my first batch of crossbowdwarfs with wood crossbows and iron bolts, and cloth clothing (practically no protection, I won't let them get anywhere's NEAR close-quarters fighting, using towers).

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14187 on: June 28, 2011, 01:40:33 am »

I just lost my favorite militia dwarf (nicknamed 'Nosferatu' due to his habit of biting goblins in the neck and tearing arteries open) to a failed mood that near as I can tell was caused by the total lack of wool in my .16 fort I'm playing in .25 <sigh>.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14188 on: June 28, 2011, 08:23:05 am »

@Newbunkle: I've heard of that bug, beware, they'll only stay friendly until another siege/ambush shows up... So what I'm saying is, keep 'em outside. :P

I'm keeping my eye on them at the moment, but since we've had an elven caravan visit I'm not so sure I'll get an ambush. I pressed 'c' and the civilization list shows we're at peace, where before it showed a big red 'W. Maybe that'll change, I don't know. Fingers crossed.

I just lost my favorite militia dwarf (nicknamed 'Nosferatu' due to his habit of biting goblins in the neck and tearing arteries open) to a failed mood that near as I can tell was caused by the total lack of wool in my .16 fort I'm playing in .25 <sigh>.

Crikey, you seem to get everywhere. I played LSN briefly some time ago, and I think I've also seen you on the Armageddon Empires forum. We must stop meeting like this, lol.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14189 on: June 28, 2011, 09:33:41 am »

Preparing to open the drawbridge and rush the goblin siege... the second one this fort has faced.

This time, the goblins arrived mounted on various beasts: giant olms, cave crawlers, jabberers. Wow! I haven't seen mounted gobbos since very soon after I started playing. Also they came with some trolls, and I haven't seen those either since about the same time. I dimly remember them smashing down my remote back entrance door and surviving row after row of stonefall traps, back when I didn't really understand how to build a secure fortress.

This time, there's no way into the fort other than the way blocked by the drawbridge, and thankfully most of the siegers got bored with waiting outside while being turned into pincushions. I still have to face -- and hopefully clear out -- a squad of gobbos and a few trolls who found their way into the entrance tunnel before losing their route into the fortress. It's year 4 of the fort so I've had chance to train a few legendary axedwarves and hammerdwarves. I'll drop the drawbridge when I've managed to forge a few more *steel helm*s

Fun in 3...2...1...

Of course, I fully expect that the instant I drop the drawbridge, my military will decide to kick off their boots and socks, leaving them lying in the middle of the hallway, and pay a visit to the armour stores.

Also, now might be a good idea to re-design my marksdwarves' patrol route. Just as the siege arrived I noticed a marksdwarf on the *wrong* side of the perimiter wall. No, Urist McSharpshooter, just because it's only a few tiles from the waypoint doesn't mean it's a good place to stand...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:46:48 am by lazygun »
Pages: 1 ... 944 945 [946] 947 948 ... 3839