Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 943 944 [945] 946 947 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969182 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14160 on: June 26, 2011, 06:21:10 am »

Brb making my large subterranean chicken creatures with tentacles trainable.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14161 on: June 26, 2011, 08:41:06 am »

My pretty useless cheese maker got struck by a mood and claimed a craftdwarf workshop.
After a while he got everything and made this...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...while I was wondering how on earth he got the idea with the clownfish, I realized he just became a legendary engraver out of nothing.
FFFFFFFFF Yes, I finally have an awesome engraver again!

Later I got my first official siege...which was pretty boring, the goblins were just standing there doing nothing, probably because I had closed off my fort. So I let my archers do the job from the walls since the enemy had only spear- and axemen:

One of them however survived because he could take cover, so I sent out my melee squad to deal with him. Too late I realized I had still set the order to claim used ammunition automatically because of the hunters, so my dwarves where rushing out before the squad arrived, two where killed until my archers dealt with that last goblin.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14162 on: June 26, 2011, 03:05:21 pm »

Whipdeer has just suffered an embarassing incident. I somehow failed to notice my civilization was at war with the elves before I embarked. The ambush came as a complete surprise. Worse still, I'd neglected to make a meeting area inside, so most dwarves were still loitering around the wagon when I had the bridges raised. Now, a dozen or so miserable dwarves hide from the pointy-eared menace outside. Screams can be heard as dwarves are killed left and right. One farmer has been repeatedly stabbed in the head with a spear for the last two minutes.

Update: BOTH of my legendary miners went beserk after I returned to the game. The fortress is now a tomb, occupied by the one surviving miner. Only two dwarves remain alive on the surface, but the elves are still giving chase.

We're doomed, but you can guarantee my next fortress will devote itself to the business of elf-slaying. Oh yes.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 03:28:41 pm by Newbunkle »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14163 on: June 26, 2011, 06:58:47 pm »

Post save please! or world parameters, I've been on a futile quest for a .25 elf war for far too long.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14164 on: June 26, 2011, 08:57:50 pm »

So I've got a magma smelter, I've got iron bars as well. Yet for some reason, there's still no option to make pig iron bars when I go to the smelter.

What gives? Why isn't the option there?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14165 on: June 26, 2011, 09:14:27 pm »

So I've got a magma smelter, I've got iron bars as well. Yet for some reason, there's still no option to make pig iron bars when I go to the smelter.

You need charcoal, I believe. Steel production takes flux, charcoal/coke, and of course iron

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14166 on: June 26, 2011, 09:16:21 pm »

You need charcoal, I believe. Steel production takes flux, charcoal/coke, and of course iron
I thought I didn't need fuel if I had a magma smelter?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14167 on: June 26, 2011, 09:43:39 pm »

I thought I didn't need fuel if I had a magma smelter?

Steel production (and pig iron as well) uses the carbon from the coke/charcoal in the iron mixture itself.  Thus the references to various steel alloys being "high carbon" or "low carbon" since the amount affects the characteristics of the alloy.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14168 on: June 26, 2011, 09:47:49 pm »

Sigh.  >:(

Work on tapping an underground cavern lake will be delayed.  A Forgotten Beast managed to off himself in it and now it's heavily contaminated with frozen FB extract.  Meanwhile another FB sits in the middle of a bridge - probably slowly destroying it.  Since he doesn't have wings there will probably be a short (and unsuccessful) flying lesson when the bridge goes "poof".  And a third one must have taken an ill-timed nap since it is sitting in a stretch of cavern that the underground trees have walled in.

Presumably the last one can get out of that if it wants - it just does not seem to be motivated to do much wandering around currently.  Might be time to send out some bait...
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14169 on: June 26, 2011, 10:46:15 pm »

So, I started up a new fort today. Everything is going good until I decide to dig out a reservoir for my well that I am going to put in my hospital. As one of my miners was digging away, he somehow hurt himself. I'm guessing he fell off the ramp I was making, or something equally stupid. So now he is sitting in his bed, because my dwarfs decided they didn't want to haul the beds I made into the hospital for some reason. My doctor seems to be looking over him now, but at least my migrant wave gave me a master miner just in case my first one does kick the bucket.
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14170 on: June 26, 2011, 11:22:53 pm »

I thought werewolves were scary.
Werewolves nothing. If you want anticlimatic, go for zombies. Dozens of dead zombie critters, including several badgers and badger people, no wounds.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14171 on: June 26, 2011, 11:28:53 pm »

I thought werewolves were scary.
Werewolves nothing. If you want anticlimatic, go for zombies. Dozens of dead zombie critters, including several badgers and badger people, no wounds.
Well slow zombies are not very dangerous if you think about it. Their strength comes from their sheer numbers and relentlessness. Hopefully the next release is able to better simulate this.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14172 on: June 27, 2011, 12:00:18 am »

A dwarf somewhere in my fort wants to hug magma men.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14173 on: June 27, 2011, 03:18:55 am »

The fort? The fort is GLORIOUS. It's like the combined insanity of a half dozen forumites occurring at the same moment. It IS.

My dorf's son died. I was sad, but he wasn't...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14174 on: June 27, 2011, 04:06:20 am »

After several years, over 50 casualties, one complete forgotten beast wipes, two near-complete goblin wipes, a few tantrums and (strangely enough) absolutely zero accidents, my infinite water supply generator plant mini-megaproject thing is finally complete! Most valuable lesson learned: Either turn invaders off or prepare properly.

NEVER FORGET

As for the actual plant (huge image):

It uses the glorious Dwarven Physics propery of ice always melting into 7/7 water, no matter how much water it took to freeze the block, to increase it's water input by 250%, making it essentially infinite as long as you have a starting bit of water. Hauling said starting supply of water from the second cavern layer, the first one having a forgotten beast related problem, took longer than building all the pump systems, but at least it was totally worth the effort, for science.
Pages: 1 ... 943 944 [945] 946 947 ... 3839