Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 942 943 [944] 945 946 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965630 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14145 on: June 25, 2011, 03:56:49 pm »

Engraving is now a moodable skill, and the only workshop engraving job occurs at the crafts shop; memorial slab engraving.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14146 on: June 25, 2011, 05:22:46 pm »

Encountered the Butterfly of Doom, little bastard jammed the door open when a marauding band of trolls decided to attack my fortress. Luckily I had a series of raising bridges to act as locks separating all the common areas so no Fun was had.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14147 on: June 25, 2011, 06:33:47 pm »

I learned why building wells over cavern lakes is a terrible idea.

All your buckets will be filled with 'water laced with mud' as the lake is not deep enough, but this can be worked around.

Things go bad when this happens:
A forgotten beast with deadly blood swims under the well.
My elite marksdwarf who was walking passed shot a bolt in his brain from 8z up.
The next dwarf to get a drink hauled up a bucket filled with deadly blood and died in seconds.
Before I figured out what was going on dozens of dwarves had died.
They still die now and again as I can't resolve the situation.
I might be wrong, but this is what I think has happened.
I deconstructed the well, not quite sure what I'll do now...
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14148 on: June 25, 2011, 06:42:31 pm »

Pulling up my game today, I immediately set out to reinstate a sense of order in this fortress.

The biggest concern is replacing the soldiers I lost during the siege. One squad of three was lost altogether, and two others were down to one dwarf each. I put the general-slaying Aban Whats-her-horribly-broken-everything into her squad's captain position, and found raw recruits for the empty squad. The commanders squad got two raw recruits as well, and even the ranger squad got a freshman to fill a gap left by the idiot that tried to go reload from bolts sitting outside next to the enemy platoons.
I was down to 5 out of 12 melee dwarves, and now I'm back up to 12. I need to get the recruits trained up, so the only squad that had no casualties will be on duty for a while. Their commander who I named Eric has been chronically unhappy since he arrived here. Just like me. Need to get him a civilian job and away from the barracks long enough to do it.

That commander has finally earned himself a title after finishing off a goblin/troll ambush of marksmen when his companion Eshtan Coppernut the admired coal was shot and killed. He is now Eric Roomattic the Heroic Yawning Prairie. And is once again very unhappy. Eshtan was the first casualty in that squad. I can only hope that her replacement will also be a hammerdwarf and continue the squad's tradition of beating things to death with masterwork silver warhammers.

The next most urgent issue is walling in a new pasture for my livestock, who are pretty much starving now where they've been kept these past 2 years, and have been seriously injuring one-another trying to eat from the same tile.
After that, the food stockpile is almost completely out of room. Need to expand an already enormous storehouse. The refuse piles are all piled high and I can't stuff anything more into them, and I have yet to filter out all the gear from the enemy troops at the bottom of the dodge-fall trap.

I'm out of steel, and out of the components to produce more. Now would be a good time to cut some trees for charcoal. Everyone's fully equipped though.

Do I smell bacon? Yes... BACON!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:03:27 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14149 on: June 25, 2011, 08:02:25 pm »

The Forgotten Beast "Niya Arepaata Thanethaliceyi" has come to Murakgoden! A great hairy bristleworm. It has a round shell and it undulates rhythmically. Its lemon hair is long and straight. Beware its deadly spittle!

First ever forgotten beast. He's just swimming around in the cavern. Thank goodness I didn't build a well. I have five legendaries in one squad. Population fifty. Thoughts? Just struck adamantine, am still outfitting military in adamantine armour and weapons.

[EDIT:] Niya chased a miner up and down the staircase, scaring the poor lad. An axedwarf in steel armour came and killed the forgotten beast- blocking the deadly spittle six times and dodging a seventh shot. He was then bitten on the lower lip. KISSED BY A FORGOTTEN BEAST. :O
He then promptly decapitated it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:16:14 pm by Reudh »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14150 on: June 25, 2011, 09:26:47 pm »

Holy shit, MIGRANTS!

Well it shows the sieges are under control. It's go time for the goblins this year it seems though. The population is barely up to 110 again.

They brought a high-master armorer. Now the militia commander isnt under as much pressure to stay alive. A skilled macedwarf also arrived. She will replace the lost hammerer in the Mountainous Blades squad. Maybe I'll force her to use a hammer too.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 09:34:16 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14151 on: June 25, 2011, 10:13:12 pm »

Since I'm a genius, I had a wood stockpile sitting over a frozen pond. In the spring thaw, I lost some logs. Wood is at a premium so I devised a way to retrieve them.

The pond was right next to a river a few Z-levels down. By channeling just two tiles, the pond can drain into the river and the dwarves can pick up the logs. I underestimated their enthusiasm, because a new migrant dove right into the pond and chased a log right over the edge into the river. Here are his final thoughts:

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14152 on: June 25, 2011, 10:13:38 pm »

Hey... where did that mountain goat come from?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

apparently they can climb down walls, because there is no good access through that brook. You could swim under two walls on the far left side of the map. To the right there is nothing but the entrance to the brook and 2-5 z-level high natural walls.

Mountain goats...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 02:21:54 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14153 on: June 25, 2011, 10:47:43 pm »

A Dracon mother just left a barrel of fisher berry wine on top of her nest box that had her egg in it and then ran off.  I think to go party.

So I guess she didn't wanna have to watch the egg, so she was drugging it to sleep with alcohol?  But...it's still an egg...it's not going anywhere...  My brain hurts.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14154 on: June 25, 2011, 11:01:31 pm »

She's drugging the kid when it hatches. The kid might have parental issues though...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14155 on: June 25, 2011, 11:35:24 pm »

Will the eggs even still hatch if the parent leaves the nest?

Alas, Aban will die from an infection in her right upper arm, her days are numbered now, but I have no idea what that number is. I got her injured again and properly cleaned with soap, but the infection wasn't cured. A sad day it will be...

I've been ambushed by the cyclopes, who were masterfully minced by my troops, and am now besieged yet again by the trolls. They brought one squad of wild ogres and two platoons of crossbowmen. Someone must have tipped them off about the effectiveness of the goblin bowmen. I am rightfully terrified because they use a heavy crossbow that fires with far more force and velocity than smaller bows. Luckily one of their squads is camped next to and on top of a frozen pond and it's almost spring now. They'll probably delay moving to attack long enough for some of them to drown there and maybe send that squad home.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:46:00 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14156 on: June 26, 2011, 12:20:14 am »

Just walled off a section of the first cavern layer in record time (that last wave of migrants was actually useful).  Also dug a path to the rest of the cavern and put a door up, so I could explore the rest of the cavern.  My fort is now vulnerable to a building destroyer... until they reach the cave in trap that is.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14157 on: June 26, 2011, 06:07:47 am »

I Had a cyclops attack my fort, just after a siege so none of my cage traps were armed. He decided to go right through my chicken farm. Grave, grave mistake... The hens started beating him until he fell unconscious. He died from a kick to the head, bruising the brain.
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14158 on: June 26, 2011, 06:13:12 am »

I Had a cyclops attack my fort, just after a siege so none of my cage traps were armed. He decided to go right through my chicken farm. Grave, grave mistake... The hens started beating him until he fell unconscious. He died from a kick to the head, bruising the brain.
Chickens are the domesticated badgers.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14159 on: June 26, 2011, 06:18:41 am »

Chickens are the domesticated badgers.
ii'm starting to think WAR CHICKENS should be the weapon of the future.
beginning mass production right about now.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 942 943 [944] 945 946 ... 3838