Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969369 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13980 on: June 17, 2011, 10:53:00 am »

Anyone else noticing local, hostile tribesmen becoming friendly after killing a FB and receiving a name? Because I've got two now.

Yep. I guess its a bonding experience?

the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
maybe it's taken from adventurer mod: you kill an enemy of a civ, and you become friends with that civ.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13981 on: June 17, 2011, 12:28:06 pm »

Nothing...because my laptop screen is broken and I don't have an external monitor right now, DF is basically on hold until the next release; I hate leaving Hallhealer behind but enough time away from it should make adopting the next version easy. 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13982 on: June 17, 2011, 02:12:53 pm »

My dwarves just finished sacrificing goblin virgins by tossing them into the volcano.

Do goblins even have sex? I would have thought screening them for virgins is unnecessary.

By "virgins", I mean ambush squad that ran into the cave traps by my back door.

and by "sacrificing", I mean "My gladiator got injured fighting the ones that didn't get caged, and I don't want these things around."

Luckily, an earlier "bridging project" over the mouth of the volcano was never finished, and it made the perfect pier to toss them right in the hot, gooey center.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:16:23 pm by Gyvon »

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13983 on: June 17, 2011, 04:02:43 pm »

Just got an artifact.

Worth 372000☼.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13984 on: June 17, 2011, 05:28:17 pm »

Following the cowardly elvish assault on our undefended mine, in which Kagosh was thrown down the main air shaft. Kagosh the blacksmith was tumescent in the hospital with two doubly broken legs when she got a genious idea.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

From Wikipedia:
Tumescence is the quality or state of being tumescent or swollen. This swelling includes expanding foam and expanding caulk. [1] Tumescence usually refers to the normal engorgement with blood (vascular congestion) of the erectile tissues, marking sexual excitation and possible readiness for sexual activity. The tumescent sexual organ in men is the penis and in women is the clitoris.
LOL !!
(and !!blush!! )
incumbent? supine? prostate?
What I meant to say was being back-broken and lying down...using a latin word. :p
I think we should use that as a new level of happiness. Currently, anything 150 is ecstatic. I think anything over 300 should be listed as tumescent. :D
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13985 on: June 17, 2011, 05:46:32 pm »

I threw a ferret into a volcano and discovered precious metals.

Sometimes it hurts how badly I love this game.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 06:13:15 pm by Broseph Stalin »

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13986 on: June 17, 2011, 08:24:33 pm »

I threw a ferret into a volcano and discovered precious metals.

Sometimes it hurts how badly I love this game.

Shame on you! You should have used a cat. ^_~

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13987 on: June 17, 2011, 08:47:04 pm »

Everything is going well in my fort. However, I just realised its name is "Asstin"

D:
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13988 on: June 17, 2011, 09:32:51 pm »

Working on my first above-ground fort.  It's actually pretty fun, despite the lack of Fun so far. 

I did finally encounter badgers, though.  I was intimidated by stories I'd heard on the forums, as well as the sheer numbers - there had to be at least a dozen of them.  I quickly got over any fears, however, when a marksdwarf walked into the group and strangled one of them to death.

Oh, and a Tanner made an artifact.  A dog leather trumpet.  It has two images of itself on it.  Unfortunately, it has mysteriously disappeared.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #13989 on: June 17, 2011, 09:48:36 pm »

Recently started a new fort, it's almost Winter, i'm just finishing building my long series of Bridges that retract to make any enemies on it fall down into the water below to drown (i can then drain the water to get to the phat lewt, but it'll probably take some time to refill the pit since the brook i'm taking the water from is frozen most of the year, due to me being in a cold Biome). Periodic Buzzard raids are annoying, but they get slaughtered once i draft my Miners and station them nearby.

Speaking of Badgers, i did see a bunch of them run by, but they were far away from my fort and just completely ignored me, so crisis averted :P.

EDIT:
Yep, once combat logs were integrated into DF itself a retest was done to see how falling damage worked in regards to those logs.  An unlinked spike at the bottom of a pit makes an attack once all the falling damage attacks finish.

But it only makes the attack if falling damage gets calculated.  A fall from a single z level inflicts no falling damage, and thus doesn't trigger the spike, which may be why the origonal falling on spikes test came up negative.

Addendum, i shall have to put Upright Spikes down in my drowning pit when i get the chance, to make it a drowning-while-impaled pit.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:11:51 pm by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13990 on: June 18, 2011, 04:59:22 am »

In biomes featuring them, badgers are my food of choice. A bunch of cage traps at a point they cross frequently nets me a lot of them. You need to watch their patterns, but it's worth it.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13991 on: June 18, 2011, 06:25:56 am »

Working on my first above-ground fort.  It's actually pretty fun, despite the lack of Fun so far. 

I did finally encounter badgers, though.  I was intimidated by stories I'd heard on the forums, as well as the sheer numbers - there had to be at least a dozen of them.  I quickly got over any fears, however, when a marksdwarf walked into the group and strangled one of them to death.

You haven't known fear until you find the giant badgers.
[Signature]

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13992 on: June 18, 2011, 10:32:15 am »

Some child, Kadol, I believe his name was, got himself possessed and took a skeletal turkey bone.

The bone seems to have lost it's skeletal properties as it was made into Muddlelabors the Wail of Creations, a turkey bone short sword.
It is encircled with bands of blind cave bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of red zircon.
On the item is an image of Urist Patternarmors the dwarf and dwarves in turkey bone. Urist is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the appointment of the dwarf Urist Patternarmors to the position of general of The Submerged Rags in 30.
On the item is an image of dwarves in siltstone. The dwarves are traveling. The artwork relates to the foundation of Bridgegate by The Theater of Arenas of The Submerged Rags in the early spring of 91.
Valued at 31680.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13993 on: June 18, 2011, 11:04:53 am »

My military tangled with some cave crocs tied to siegers that came through the river under my walls, bypassing my defenses.  Now 3 of my melee military can't walk (and won't pick up crutches...probably because they are using two handed weapons) and my baroness is now one armed.

That baroness kicked ass.  She charged into combat, completely unarmed. A croc bit her in the upper arm and then ripped it off.  Did she pass out from pain?  No.  Did she run away in fear? No.  Instead, she bit the cave croc in the head, with the goblin still mounted on it's back, and then ripped it off.  Before going back to her room in the keep leaving a trail of blood.  She didn't even go to the hospital.  Only complaining of sustaining minor injuries.

As a bonus?  Her mandates are easy to satisfy.  Rings, green glass, and llama leather.

P.S. I love badgers, they are great for hunting.  Instead of trying to run away and causing wasted bolts they attack the hunter, inflicting next to no harm and allowing the hunter to just push their brain out the back of their skull with their crossbows.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:07:05 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13994 on: June 18, 2011, 11:22:09 am »

Much to my horror, found out that dwarves think a soapy bath is wonderful. Whats the world coming to?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration
Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 3839