Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972545 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13950 on: June 15, 2011, 04:24:23 pm »

There's a small tribe of Cave Fishmen in the second cavern layer of a new fort on a glacier. So far, they've managed to kill two FBs - a large humanoid composed of mud and a blob of vomit - in their closed-off section of the cavern. Also, while most of them are hostile, one of them is somehow friendly. Time to infiltrate the local Selkath tribe, insert our agent, turn their views to support our cause and overthrow the current leader and replace him with a puppet regime. Soon we'll have a Selkath army!

Gobbos armed with polearms decide to show up, thinking it's a good idea to attack a fort surrounded by nothing but ice walls on the outside. Sure, they've brought with them a giant bat but it's not going to take down the chalk front doors in the glacial hole we've dug. So they leave in spring - though I'm pretty sure it's technically still winter, what with all the constant snow storms, ever-ubiquitous icy glacier and freezing temperatures. No dwarven caravan this year.

Elves decide to send another caravan. The previous caravan has most likely been assumed to have gone AWOL by the elves, which would explain to those treehuggers why they "lost contact" with it last year. Well they can expect the same bloody treatment as last time.

Magma has been found, full of fire snakes and fire imps, after we've done some exploratory digging in the second cavern. We've happened to discover some warm stones in that cavern. Following the discovery, we quickly seal off the tunnel to the magma hole, but leave the hole open, so we can secretly train the Selkath into deadly killing machines. And there's no water in liquid form at all in this place.

We later find the rest of the magma sea and subsequently dig out the area for our metal industry.

In summer, our legendary engraver has finished his nearly year-long project of engraving a large legendary dining room.

Nothing else to report other than DF crashing, forcing me to revert to the autosave from the beginning of spring.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13951 on: June 15, 2011, 04:31:03 pm »

Special resources are being transported to the metalworks now. The four dwarves down there should be able to find some use for it, if not to dress the entire Hallcolumn army in blue. If not that either, then forging statues of it and placing them at the front gates should create some extra points for the entire fortress.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13952 on: June 15, 2011, 05:38:01 pm »

in the process of designating ALL the mining in my fortress' floor plan before I unpause the game after embark. I've got an awesome plan and I don't want to fuck it up.

Unrelated: Why isn't this thread stickied? It's got more pages of replies than this board has of threads. I think we passed the point of epic thread about 60 pages ago. We're solidly into "Legendary Thread" territory at this point.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13953 on: June 15, 2011, 05:43:47 pm »

I have just turned back the clock again on my embark to do another embark with slightly different tactics.

The last embark's trapsystem got too damn complex, gonna try to operate on the K.I.S.S. principle on this one.  When I stopped, there were 14 levers - for one big trap.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:17:07 am by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13954 on: June 15, 2011, 05:51:45 pm »

Why can't ambushes come one at a time?!!

I just had to fight in sequence a thiefmaster, goblin siege with crossbows and hammerers, okay survived that with only a few isolated dwarves killed. We start to clean the battlefield of crap: Ambush:ambush:ambush now the elves are back for a second round and they brought Warbears and war eagles.
A few days later, the fields are littered with wounded and unconcious dwarves, eagles, elves and bears. only a few have made it to the hospital, most of us lie dead. A spearmaster still roams the surface.
Those that survived are lucky to have all limbs or their sanity...

Oh wait, another elf ambush. Eagle spearelves this time...oh and some more They brought a swordmaster too and some more bears.
:(
we are doomed.
DOOMED! :D

edit: eh seems we survived...those forty mounted elves simply left. heh!
And you call yourself a dwarf.

You should have a magma-powered ion cannon solely for the purpose of taking out any elf stupid enough to show their face at your fort without some cool new pet to present to you as a gift.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13955 on: June 15, 2011, 06:17:02 pm »

in the process of designating ALL the mining in my fortress' floor plan before I unpause the game after embark. I've got an awesome plan and I don't want to fuck it up.

Unrelated: Why isn't this thread stickied? It's got more pages of replies than this board has of threads. I think we passed the point of epic thread about 60 pages ago. We're solidly into "Legendary Thread" territory at this point.
I sometimes do that. It usually means I end up neglecting the farms for too long though...
[Signature]

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13956 on: June 15, 2011, 08:22:56 pm »

The stench of death hangs heavy in the tunnels of Systemsaves. Hunched over, blood and dirt smeared across their grim expressions, several solemn dwarves clad in steel shuffle about, doing their best to ignore the moans of pain issuing forth from behind the tattered remains of a microcline door. Every now and then, a dwarf will venture out past that door, dragging behind them the corpse of a fallen friend, be it dwarf or dog, or the corpse of a goblin or troll. Every now and then, a dwarf will return from behind that door carrying the wounded but still breathing form of one of their comrades. But supplies are running thin, and each wounded man is another useless mouth to feed. Help from outside is nonexistent, for they are loathe to raise their bridge lest another force decide it is the opportune time to strike.
Now they can only wait, and hope that someday the tale of the Covers of Flashing will be told on the wall of some dark dining hall somewhere.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #13957 on: June 16, 2011, 12:15:19 am »

I just accessed the lower caverns and found two forgotten beasts that I had... forgotten. I quickly tried to get my dwarves lumbering in the first caverns to the main fort but some where there when the FB was killed. Not realizing that both of these things had dust and blood syndromes, it took me about a few game months to realize that there was a kitten walking around with its feet rotting off. I then found my hospital fill with children (who apparently still have not got clothes) and those less fortunuate. A season later a good number of my 250 dwarves have been through my hospital. The first FB rottened feet, the second causes numbness and it has effect about half my population.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13958 on: June 16, 2011, 01:19:25 am »

I just accessed the lower caverns and found two forgotten beasts that I had... forgotten. I quickly tried to get my dwarves lumbering in the first caverns to the main fort but some where there when the FB was killed. Not realizing that both of these things had dust and blood syndromes, it took me about a few game months to realize that there was a kitten walking around with its feet rotting off. I then found my hospital fill with children (who apparently still have not got clothes) and those less fortunuate. A season later a good number of my 250 dwarves have been through my hospital. The first FB rottened feet, the second causes numbness and it has effect about half my population.

Numbness is probably not a bad thing. Think about it, your dwarves could lose an arm or two and not feel the pain in a battle, so they'll keep attacking.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13959 on: June 16, 2011, 09:23:19 am »

Watching my brand new water fall, built as a control on my aqueduct. And then wondering why it's busily flooding over my beach.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #13960 on: June 16, 2011, 09:34:34 am »

Rem is spamming the magma out of me!
She keeps complaining about her missing arms and how it is so difficult to grab her socks and she needs to wear socks because she has horribly huge scars on both legs.
Maybe I should find a way to rid her of her legs as well.

also: My medical staff has been murdered by berzerking cripples.
We had our first haunting, this pushed a surviving hero over the edge, who had seen her friend dismembered, rotting and now hiding in his bedroom cabinet.
fresh meat has arrived to fill our quiet halls..
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:42:26 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13961 on: June 16, 2011, 10:13:53 am »

Haven't played much these last few days, but Nationbridges is in the throes of my second-ever tantrum spiral... Although this one isn't the raging, smasing tidal wave most people have crush their forts, it's more of a seeping, gurgling pool of fetid, murky gunk, slowly creeping up to my fort's neck...
My chief medical dwarf deserves a shout out. Despite everything going to hell around her, people being dumped off the tower, angry miners caving heads, and the slurry of gore all through her poorly-equipped hospital, the old dear keeps tirelessly dragging the new casualties into her hospital and doing what little she can for them with no thread.
Somehow, even after a dwarf went beserk and killed two of her unconscious charges, she still manages to be happy!
I guess it helps that she has no friends, but still, she's awesome. I just wish everyone else wasn't too busy dying to weave some thread... :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13962 on: June 16, 2011, 10:42:01 am »

Hmm.

Decided a new experimental embark to see if it's more efficient than my current one. My randomly-generated fortress name is Hollowwound, and the group is called The Fortress of Dying.

Hmm.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13963 on: June 16, 2011, 10:48:17 am »

My vending machine is working.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13964 on: June 16, 2011, 12:31:09 pm »

times like this I wish I could figure out a way to give my gremlin hunter a room. Poor guys sleeping in the hall, passed out on the way back from the well.

My militia commander has become a legendary armor smith through a season of hard labor.

It's time to start up the danger room. Steel production continues to skyrocket and soon everyone will be decked out in full masterwork equipment.
Need to remember to lock the door and prevent animals from getting in or it's going to turn into a blood bath. Oh well only a pet cat and gander will die.
Strangely, some of the ogres have disappeared.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:19:48 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 3839