Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972689 times)

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1395 on: February 18, 2010, 08:16:08 pm »

Got a strange mood on a brewer/farmer today. Was expecting junk.

I got this monstrosity:

spikedball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: February 18, 2010, 08:49:02 pm »

With this, I have two dragons in one fortress. Too bad they won't breed.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: February 18, 2010, 09:41:05 pm »

The RAWs are available for alteration.

Won't do you any good if the dragons are the same sex.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: February 19, 2010, 12:55:10 am »

I actually just got my first dragon.  He blew a bunch of fire into my entrance, killing the human caravan that had been lingering there for no reason for nearly a year.  Then he stepped into a wooden cage trap.  But one of my dwarfs is running around on fire, and it looks like he's heading for the booze room.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

spikedball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: February 19, 2010, 03:01:16 am »

The RAWs are available for alteration.

Won't do you any good if the dragons are the same sex.
They aren't, but it isn't really a problem. As I thought about caging him, he stepped into my trap hall and died.
I actually just got my first dragon.  He blew a bunch of fire into my entrance, killing the human caravan that had been lingering there for no reason for nearly a year. 
I'm actually quite disappointed with dragonfire. I thought they'd throw fireballs that work like ballista arrows, then exhale a blast of fire that rolls to ignite every exposed leather item or [STANDARD_FLESH] creature. As of now, my dragonfire pillbox only killed a single wounded gobbo wrestler, while my catapult battery killed three, crippled the said wrestler, and scared the rest of them off my entrance.

I also conducted a little test regarding my temple's altar inability to function. At first, I tried to make it a simple slashing trap combined with cavein dust. I dropped in all the useless nobles: the baroness, her consort, the hammerer, tax collector, and the philosopher, then pulled the lever. It failed. The dust flooded their tile, dispersed, entered again, and... nothing happened. I rebuilt the system to drop the floor closer. It failed. I then rebuilt the sacrifical chamber so the dust has one more tile to spread from. It failed again. I built a ballista instead, and fired a +copper arrow+ at them. It failed too. For a moment, I considered flooding my fortress with magma out of fear of having invincible nobles.
Curious of this behavior, I started to conduct the said test. I dismantled my barracks' wall and aimed another ballista there, and stationed some recruits next to the wall. Then an exceptional copper arrow was fired. It went harmlessly through the two of my sleeping (prone) peasants, and decapitated one (standing) recruit. Legless ballista battery operators anyone?
The dust, apparently, will not knock unconscious any creatures on a given tile if it has nowhere to spread from it. This, or it wasn't hitting them for the same reason.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: February 19, 2010, 08:50:40 am »

I just wasted 4+ hours on a fort by having a faulty DFTherapist crash it before a save. DAMMIT!  >:(

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: February 19, 2010, 10:11:20 am »

Taken from the facepalm thread.

Playing in a haunted area, I see that there is no living thing in my chasm. It's FULL of zombies, but no skreatures either. My Liason showed up on the far side of the chasm. I'll take a moment to explain what happened next:

[CREATURE:SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:300:300]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:100:100]

He revealed eight of them before dying. This is not the facepalm. The facepalm is when two seperate migrant waves showed up in the same spot. It turns out, there are TWO groups of ZGCS on the far side of the chasm. The first migrants (in autumn) died tragic, hilarious deaths. The second wave had two survivors, who were smart/fast enough to outrun the zombies.

Both were peasants.

On a side note, when 80 GCS form their "hunting webs" in the same place... (Spoilered for neatness)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There was a peasant standing on the area when the uberweb was formed, so I got 80 cycles of "erith Ostarrigoth, Peasant has become entangled in a hidden web!" followed by "An ambush! Drive them out!"

Also shown in the image is a zombie rhesus macaque (one of about 80) and a zombie batman (one of about 45).

I am currently working on capturing a third group of ZGCS, who are in a small side chamber of my chasm (at least, judging from the fact that an otherwise empty chamber is spewing miasma everywhere) for a prisoner pit.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gorm

• Bay Watcher
  • not related to Gorm of Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: February 19, 2010, 12:37:45 pm »

One of my Swordsdwarfs just killed his own lover in a sparring accident. (yes, I do know that ≡obsidian short sword≡s are not meant for sparring)
With this he also took her position as the leader of my Swordsdwarf squad.
The squad is now rather sadly renamed from "The Swords of Enchantment" to "The Routed Cloisters".

Due to the killing, his thoughts are a bit of a mess right now:

Apparently dwarfs take joy in slaughtering their beloved ones and consider it a satisfying sparring session and a tragedy at the same time.

On a related note, the killed dwarf had also killed a dwarf during sparring. I guess this is the dwarven circle of life.
As dwarves slowly lose their stats over time it's natural for them to get fatter as they age because there's no activities to train healing rate.
so dwarves that die of old age in DF dont get shriveled and weak, but huge round masses of meat and fat that explode spectacularly upon their final birthday?

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: February 19, 2010, 02:04:44 pm »

I finished my Great Green Hall as seen below:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everything is made of green glass, statues, tables, everything. As a finishing green touch the ponds behind the windows contain turtles.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: February 19, 2010, 02:13:59 pm »

New fort, got my first mood... and of course it was the friggin' immigrant woodworker. So now I have a palm statue encircled with bands of palm. (And this was with the carpenter's workshop situated immediately beside a trade depot full of silk cloth, metal bars and gems. Meh.  At least my dining room has a centerpiece now.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

OddProphet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: February 19, 2010, 02:39:32 pm »

I built my first pressure-plate linked trap-hall outside the fortress.  It works fairly well, but I still need to finish linking things up.

Also, everything about that green glass room I approve of.  What visualizer is that?
They aren't coffins: They're lunchboxes 

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: February 19, 2010, 03:01:17 pm »

Also, everything about that green glass room I approve of.  What visualizer is that?
Stonesense.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: February 19, 2010, 06:32:35 pm »

Finally got a fort in Dig Deeper 1.4 that had access to the rest of the world. It's weird, even when it would say it had access to all civs strange things would happen, like the elves not trading and the kobolds not attempting suicidal thefts. I have four dead kobolds now, and an orc siege at my gates. Hopefully they leave before the spring elf caravan though, I need food.

I have no soil near fort, just a tiny patch on the other side of the map. I brought plenty, and traded for more, but the only water is a very small, very creature infested underground river so booze is going to be a problem. I need to dam the river, kill the giant toad (hopefully I can keep the other creatures on the other side of the dam) set up a drawbridge to dam the river as needed, and irrigate a massive tower cap and farming chamber. Alternatively, I may dig a new river route and use a cave in to punch a hole in the river. Haven't decided. It's important that I do it soon though, there's no magma except in the HFS (reveal says perv clowns) which I definitely need more than my starting 7 to take down, and the map is a mountain next to a desert so there's no water or trees here.

Edit: Tried the cave in method. After a few dozen "Interrupted by Snakeman" messages, I got the cave in set up and rerouted the river. Which quickly overflowed and continued going down the same way. However, it causes water to fall down the opposite side of the waterfall when I open the alternate route. So it solves the problem, just in an accidental way. Dwarf science, though it's a little less exciting than magma, is still mostly "OH SHIT" in nature.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:05:58 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: February 19, 2010, 07:01:54 pm »

What does that glass hall look like in VF?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Legendary_Catsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: February 19, 2010, 07:07:46 pm »

Started a new fort in a magma pipe (in case my posts yesterday about magma and why it wasn't working weren't an indication).
After having only 7 dorfs for a year, I got an immigrant wave of 13, including a child.  I now have to find, in my volcano fortress, work for (in approximate order of desirability:
a miner, ranger, armorer, trapper, jeweler, leatherworker, tanner, cook, cheese maker, fisher and fish dissector.

There are no fish on my map.
There is no water in my map.
There are barely any trees on my map, and the ones that exist I'm trying oh so hard to turn into barrels and bins.  Meanwhile my carpenter is sitting around having a party with himself.

On the upside, I've got a bazillion Obsidian crafts to sell for bookoo moneys!

[edit] Apparently the migrant wave wasn't done when I posted.  I've got a wood burner.  On a barren magma map. -_______________________-

[double edit] My two miners, chief badasses of the whole fort and slayers of several Fire Imps, have just gotten married!
^_________________^
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:46:13 pm by Legendary_Catsmith »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 3839