Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120179 times)

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1365 on: February 15, 2010, 08:48:20 pm »

My current fortress, Eaglehome, is coming along quite well. It is in its 17th year, and my population of 25 dwarves came entirely by breeding (only 3-4 of the children have managed to grow up, so I have an effective population of 9, since 2 dorfs died).

Pictures!

Overview of the fort:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alt view of most of my industries:

Closeup of my largest warehouse:
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Milkymalk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: February 15, 2010, 09:23:38 pm »

I started a fortress built as acompletely above-ground wooden settlement. It has a warehouse for wood, one for food, and one shared for drinks and crafts. Every workshop has only one permitted worker who has been given a hut to live in next to it. Anybody who doesn't have a workshop has to sleep in the inn, which has a sleeping hall upstairs as well as a small prepared food stockpile and one for drinks. Our main export is Sunshine, and during the whole spring all barrels are used for brewing exclusively this drink.

Regular ambushes just started, and the last immigrant wave brought my "fort" to 55 dorfs, of which 20 children. I realized there will be sieges and so my marksdorfs (still displayed as wrestlers) "Chip" and "Chap", my co-founder "Wolf" (swordsdorf, clad in all wolf leather) and his immigrated helper "Puppy" (hammerdorf) got reinforcements in the form of 6 freshly-drafted immigrants who will first wrestle and then get whatever weapon the autumn caravan will have in stock.

The landscape is swampy forest, but there are some hills in the northeastern corner. I just finished four windmills to power four pumps plus gears which I need to break through the aquifier. I plan to exchange the ground floor walls of all my buildings with stone once I set up a quarry, and I found a huge amount of magnetite.

Sadly, I have no sand on the map, so all my buildings are window-less. Dang, would have been nice.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: February 15, 2010, 09:34:18 pm »

Let me guess, you slaughtered defenseless puppies and made them into armor,boots,and thongs undergarmets and gave them to puppy?

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: February 15, 2010, 11:28:29 pm »

I'm making a gas-chamber to be filled with Miasma once I get the corpse-maker running...stupid mechanic dorfs...
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

OddProphet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: February 16, 2010, 01:39:03 am »

My fortress is...all right.  Despite claims to being the most useful noble in existence, my Dungeon Master's penchant for vast tombs and offices the size of my entire forge room is growing tiresome.  I plan on building a fascinating lever for him quite soon.  Other activities include excavating ever more bedrooms for my fortress, finding new and exciting options for putting clothiers and cheesemakers to work, and my first goblin ambush.  It didn't go too well, and my former outdoor barracks (hut made of limestone outside entrance proper) has turned into an asylum/sanitarium/tomb.  Likewise, the planter that went out to harvest prickle berries paid for his insolence with his torso.  He lies locked in his bedroom, slowly dying.

One of the craftdorfs went insane, mangling a trapper before a champion could teach him manners.  And anatomy. 

My military isn't in great shape, and the extensive metalworks I have set up precludes any drafts.  In other news, local politics is pretty stable, as only one dorf (one of my original miners) has been re-elected once more.
They aren't coffins: They're lunchboxes 

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: February 16, 2010, 02:23:23 am »

The DM's demands are actually pretty basic, especially compared to some of the other nobles. Their assigned rooms need a value of only 250-499. A single exceptional obsidian statue has a value of 375.

And he is, by far, the most useful noble. Mine just recently broke legendary+5 status on furnace operation.

Anyways, Bladeshoots has seen the completion of all four stockpile levels and I'm beginning to work on the final stockpile and workshop layout. Ugh. Placing and waiting for 160 ropes to be hauled is not the most entertaining part of the game. I also have six pages of animals waiting to be butchered. Some of them may actually grow into full grown animals before being butchered at this rate :x

Milkymalk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: February 16, 2010, 09:04:45 am »

Let me guess, you slaughtered defenseless puppies and made them into armor,boots,and thongs undergarmets and gave them to puppy?
I could do that (there are about 20+ running around), but I wanted to make the "fortress" as un-dwarvish as I could. I would have given Puppy a sword too, but the only available weapon was a warhammer. Plus, I need really many guards for all those streets and will train all of them as wardogs to be sent against invaders.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: February 16, 2010, 09:45:45 am »

My plan was to have a fortress based around producing and selling booze.  Well, we've made tons of it (despite constantly running out of barrels), but actually barely sold any.  I've mainly just been selling lavish meals and masterpiece crafts. 
I have no metal industry, and I don't really want to start one, but I just got an immigrant wave with about 4 metalsmiths, an armorer, a weaponsmith, and the Dungeon Master.
Oh, and this is the first fort I've had last long enough to get a goblin ambush.  They killed the grizzly bear that guards my door.  :-[
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: February 16, 2010, 10:43:07 am »

Digging a 2 tile wide channel to the magma to power the magma forges in my fortress.  Everything is going well.

Except I somehow managed to breach an aquifer I didn't know was there down in the channel. No warning, just suddenly I check on the miners and their channel is half full of water. So now it's a race to connect the channel to the magma before the whole thing fills with saltwater and wastes a half year of nonstop mining by 3 legendary miners.

EDIT After looking around to find the source I find 1 tile.  1 single tile of soil was dug into in the channel, and it's filling the whole thing up.  I would have noticed it sooner if it wasn't for all the rock on the ground.

EDIT 2:  Lost more than 50% of the tunnel.  Getting to the magma was hopeless, the channel was filling too fast, it would only make an obsidian dam well before it got to the aquifer tile. Turns out the masons were all buzy detailing stone and didn't care to come down to build the walls to seal the channel and minimize the damage.  Whenever one finally came down the long tunnel to where the leak was they canceled the wall building due to the ankle deep water.  I was babysitting the construction of course to keep restarting it when it suspended, but the masons instead of coming back to the wall instead wandered off to detail some wall or floor inside the fortress and I had to wait for another mason to deign to come by.  I finally sealed it at the L bend that leads to the split to the forges and tombs.  But I lost access to alot of aluminum gold and silver ore that was waiting to be hauled off inside the channel.

Oh well.  I guess I have an easy setup for an obsidian farm then...even though half the mountain is made of it...  Oh and then to mock me some random peasant had a mood and made a artifact singing carp(modded toy).  It's a woodcrafter mood, which I don't need.  So I think he's going to test my magma moat once I get this mess sorted. 

Oh goody! Orc ambush!  I have no metal industry yet, and no defenses!  And the caravan loaded with food destined for my half starved fortress just got pwnt.  I think I'm due for some 'fun'!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:16:31 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: February 16, 2010, 10:53:46 am »

"Tholtig Melbilalis, Clothier, has created Keshakmesir; a Rope Reed thong!"

I saw that she was using rope reed cloth, obsidian and red zircon so that sounds like one unpleasant item of clothing.

spikedball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: February 16, 2010, 01:19:39 pm »

An unfortunate accident happened when I was tapping into my well's wall. It looked fine at first, then the water ceased evaporating and completely flooded my meeting area and the lever room. It drowned four babies, but nobody cared. Then I accidentally channeled the tile above the well that was supposed to force the dwarves to drink magma, and the water started gushing out into the tunnels. Most of them are partly submerged now. The dining hall, the farms and food stockpile seem to be fine, and the dwarves are ecstatic.
I guess I'll just lock the whole thing down until stuff starts evaporating.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: February 16, 2010, 02:33:18 pm »

After giving the humans [WOOD_PREF], [STONE_PREF], [GEM_PREF], and [METAL_PREF] I have made...

THE ULTIMATE WHIPPIT.

It's just like a normal Whippit, except it uses a single base-quality WOODEN whip, as opposed to iron.

Also, it's in my entrance.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

spikedball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: February 16, 2010, 05:03:11 pm »

Those lovely guys. I'm going to goblinate them or incinerate them or just hack them apart with ten green glass giant axe blades.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: February 16, 2010, 06:09:23 pm »

Those lovely guys. I'm going to goblinate them or incinerate them or just hack them apart with ten green glass giant axe blades.

Arm the magma hallway.... standby.... They'll path in to the fort eventually.

spikedball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: February 16, 2010, 07:27:22 pm »

Arm the magma hallway.... standby.... They'll path in to the fort eventually.
Spoiler: I broke it. (click to show/hide)
Anyway, it's not fun to burn them down to nothing in some god-forsaken hole. They should instead go for the lever on the upper level of my temple/dining room. Then step back, get dropped on a trap, then get hit with a dust cloud. With every single dwarf watching. This way the children probably won't care about anything anymore way before adulthood.
Also, the water has now started doing things that I can't understand. The summer has arrived and water has started evaporating; my legendaries managed to pump the stuff from the meeting area, so I sealed the apparent leak. Then both misplaced wells started to leak again. To top that up, I made some mistakes while constructing emergency drain, and now water level in the dining room roughly equals that of it, meaning 7/7 most of the time. I no longer understand how this stuff works, so I'll just blast that brook with another magma cannon and wait for the drain to do the job.
The nobles are now living in a burrow, supported by several migrants. They still have to drink brook water and hunt for vermin, though. I'll use them to build the outer part of the cannon, well, if they won't die of goblinite overdose before. I also learned that some of that goblinite is actually useful, and that it could provide my run-out-with-no-job idiots with a prolonged life and some kills.
Also, a siege led by local goblin leaders happened a while ago. It was fun. They entered the northern caravan passage only to get butchered by traps I set up in order to butcher any ambushers. A mighty, well armored elf axelord stepped into one of them and got both of his eyes poked out. I thought it'd be fun if he escaped like this, but since his squad was perfectly fine, he moved on instead, only to get slashed apart by several *large, serrated green glass discs*. Then others came and left on traps half of their squads. Then I closed the blast door without looking who's left with the gobs. I channeled out the tiles covering its area, so naturally, there shouldn't have been anyone there. But it turned out that dwarven idiots never learn. Despite having three tiles of outside light in their way, they somehow managed to get themselves in a straight, narrow, and empty tunnel. However, most of the idiots were now ultra-mighty and superdwarvenly tough, so it was different.
The three predatory things I chained in a row right after the trap array had lots of trouble coming. One of the giant lions got killed almost instantly, the second lasted two seconds more, and there in the center was an Alligator. This one jumped around, easily dodging the two wrestlers and a speargob for a time enough for me to gather the unarmed idiots into some sort of idiotic force. He alone lasted seven seconds, but the force was already dense enough by then. And so they charged. Ten superdwarvenly tough, perfectly agile and ultra-mighty idiots. Some of the gobs were thrown into the entrance and got damaged on impact, some got their clothes wrestled off and were beaten with them to death.
Two sizable ambusher squads remained alive, so I quickly armed the idiot force with random bits of goblinite that was scattered around and set them to wait in the tunnel... but all the remaining siegers run away. They got scared, they'd better get scared!
There was only one dead dwarf, and a hauler with lots of brown wounds, which healed almost right away. He also had a mangled hand, but since I have no beds for him to rest, he runs around carrying stuff just fine.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:06:38 pm by spikedball »
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 3842