Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 906 907 [908] 909 910 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113571 times)

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13605 on: May 27, 2011, 03:46:47 pm »

Cilob Lionoiled, mayor.
A 13 year old dwarf girl.
She doesn't even have a beard.
You haven't modded in ladybeards?!
I thought lady beards was the default.

Anyways, a gem setter went moody and made Vim Merseth, The Tears of Luck.
This is a black zircon table. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with willow and encircled with bands of black zircon. This object menaces with spikes of black zircon and fox bone.
On the item is an image of Zuglar Shieldenters the dwarf and dwarves in bismuth. Zuglar is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf Zuglar to the position of king of The Submerged Rags in 28.
On the item is an image of a mango tree in pig bone.
Worth 78000.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13606 on: May 27, 2011, 08:00:22 pm »

The merchants have gone insane. The merchant's horses have gone insane. If the merchants had adorable little pet dogs, they would probably be insane too. And yet, this is the most successful caravan to reach my fortress, because it actually did reach my fortress. That was before the siege.

The Fortress Defense mod might actually be a little too Fun for me.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13607 on: May 27, 2011, 08:10:28 pm »

According to the Great Toady, ladies don't get beards.

I've had a bunch of dwarves keel over dead since they don't want to drink alcohol. It's kinda disturbing. I have about four different kinds of alcohol - hell, I burned down an Elven caravan specifically for their new and interesting kinds of alcohol - but no dice.

I'm loathe to abandon, though. I figure the number will even out eventually and the dwarves will get smarter about actually drinking their booze. Plus I scored a rhinoceros out of the caravan (With edited raws so the damn thing doesn't starve to death)

On the upshot, come autumn the dwarven caravan is going to be rolling in cloth, hopefully netting me some nice little crossbows for my marksmen.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13608 on: May 27, 2011, 08:25:51 pm »

Cilob Lionoiled, mayor.
A 13 year old dwarf girl.
She doesn't even have a beard.
You haven't modded in ladybeards?!

Oh, they have beards. Just not on their faces.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13609 on: May 28, 2011, 01:10:04 am »

Deathcrafts passed it's 7th year rather quietly.

I've had so many sieges that the names started repeating (up until siege 5, they were numbered Attempted Abductions, but since then, the Siege of Squeezing (twice), the Onslaught of Maws (twice) and the Angry, Crazed and Slaughtering Sieges (once each).

But 18 months ago, they stopped.  Merchants started being able to reach me, and the only 'siege' in that time was three bowgoblins with a speargoblin leading them.  They could only reach my fort through the Trapped Tunnel of Doom (tm) but wandered around a bit on the other side, then left.  Then a slightly larger group arrived, killed one of the merchant's guards and then left.

My Militia are feeling neglected, and the odd Crundle, and Elk Bird aren't doing too much.  I've modded it to have 100 as the top population - could that be limiting assaults, or have I worn them out?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13610 on: May 28, 2011, 01:17:50 am »

Finally got an opportunity to test my siege busting trap. The trap killed all but one group (the group refused to enter the fortress).

It uses a pressure plate linked to twenty doors behind a wall of fortifications. When a goblin steps on the pressure plate, a sea of water rushes out and pushes them into a 20 Z level channel. The few that survive (strange to think they can survive 20 Z ) are drowned because the water takes a good amount of time to drain from the pit.

This trap should be enough to take out all the sieges, provided I can keep it filled with water.
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13611 on: May 28, 2011, 04:56:39 am »

My first siege occured, just after a human caravan had got to my fort.

One of my axedwarves was for some reason patroling separately from the rest of his squad, and tried to take them on single-handedly, only to be slowly beaten to a pulp by about ten mace goblins.  (He lasted surprisingly well, although didn't seem to actually do anything useful other than delay the gobbos while I assembled all my other soldiers to the front gate). 

I then ordered my army to attack - and was completely massacred, without even killing any goblins.  My military was reduced to 5 dwarves who had been too lazy to join the others on the front line.

So I locked down the fort, and started building loads of weapon and rockfall traps behind the gate.

While I was doing this, the traders finished trading and "left".  Then a bit later their diplomatic liaison went berserk and had to be put down.  (Fortunately, my reorganized military were able to do that at least, and no-one else was hurt).

Eventually, I finished building all my traps.  I stationed my military inside my entrance tunnel (so they wouldn't blindly rush the goblins as soon as I opened the gate, but would be there to stop any that got past the traps).

Pull lever

The goblins marched towards my fort...

The tame giant jaguar that was wandering around in my above-ground walled compound charged the goblins...

The human traders rushed to escape my fortress...

Cue massive bloody brawl in the entrance to my fort, as the goblins attacked my pastured animals and the traders, the caravan guards attacked the gobblins, my traps did far less than I had expected them to, and my military were held back until there was nothing left to do but finish off wounded or fleeing goblins.

On the plus side, I was able to recover about half the trade goods I'd sold to the humans.

I can only imagine what excuses my diplomats will have to come up with to explain all that.

(Well, given that they're dwarves, probably something like "It was his own damn fault.  You shouldn't send diplomats to a dwarven fortress if they're the sort of elf-minded weakling who'll go mad from being cooped up underground for a few weeks.  It's not our fault we had to hack him to pieces with our axes.  And if your traders are stupid enough to rush head first into a goblin siege, after we've gone to all that trouble to set up traps for them, then they deserve everything they got.  And if they can't look after all the goods we made for them, then its only fair we take them back.  I don't see what you complaining about.  So what if you lost six men including a noble?  We lost 25 braves dwarves trying to defend you, and you didn't lift a finger to help until you tried to make a run for it.  Pah!") 
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13612 on: May 28, 2011, 07:44:47 am »

Deathcrafts passed it's 7th year rather quietly.

I've had so many sieges that the names started repeating (up until siege 5, they were numbered Attempted Abductions, but since then, the Siege of Squeezing (twice), the Onslaught of Maws (twice) and the Angry, Crazed and Slaughtering Sieges (once each).

But 18 months ago, they stopped.  Merchants started being able to reach me, and the only 'siege' in that time was three bowgoblins with a speargoblin leading them.  They could only reach my fort through the Trapped Tunnel of Doom (tm) but wandered around a bit on the other side, then left.  Then a slightly larger group arrived, killed one of the merchant's guards and then left.

My Militia are feeling neglected, and the odd Crundle, and Elk Bird aren't doing too much.  I've modded it to have 100 as the top population - could that be limiting assaults, or have I worn them out?

i suppose that in some of those sieges there were also the chiefs of their tribes. kill them, and they need time to ehm..."reasset" themselves...like, new dark ones and all...given time, they'll come back.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13613 on: May 28, 2011, 08:13:33 am »

2th Hematite, year 12 of my fortress:

Accidential set the circus free and lost one Miner to it. Could wall of the section right in time - hail to the gabbro door who saved me! Now preparing for massive iron/steel spear production to take care of the circus.
Thorus likes badgers for their conga lines.

Garbles

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:height]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13614 on: May 28, 2011, 08:42:45 am »

2th Hematite, year 12 of my fortress:

Accidential set the circus free and lost one Miner to it. Could wall of the section right in time - hail to the gabbro door who saved me! Now preparing for massive iron/steel spear production to take care of the circus.

Better hurry, clowns are apparently grazers and love to beat the fun stuff out of each other if they get stuck somewhere with noone to murdalize.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13615 on: May 28, 2011, 09:14:33 am »

In my corrosion mod fort, farmers and metalworkers are pumping out arms and armor for my military to attack the zombie siege outside. I'm also attempting to build some military rifles.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13616 on: May 28, 2011, 10:40:55 am »

The powerplant is completed, and I now have 8763 units of free power. The first level of the aboveground magma tank has been completed, the rest is on hold until the goblinite extractor is complete. On that subject, the lowest of the 6 necessary levels is nearly finished, and the main hall for it should begin as soon as some grates and screws have been forged. The magma pumpstack is still in the far-off future after the extractor and holding tank have been completed, as they are much more exposed and thus get priority on pump parts.

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

Oh, and the fortifications at the level of the wheels are there just in case of flooding. I don't know how it could possibly flood, but better safe, eh?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13617 on: May 28, 2011, 10:41:02 am »

1st Galena: Ilrom Brushedbraves, novice weaponsmith and furnace operator and otherwise perfectly unremarkable migrant, goes fey.

I think "Hey cool, I can have a really good artifact weapon now." and immediately forbid all metal bars except adamantine in the fort, hoping for something else than a war hammer. It works, the lad goes to pick up some adamantine.

Five days later, he starts to forge, and keep hammering on the forge for five other days.

And then...

I am seriously considering tossing him into the volcano now.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13618 on: May 28, 2011, 10:42:57 am »

1st Galena: Ilrom Brushedbraves, novice weaponsmith and furnace operator and otherwise perfectly unremarkable migrant, goes fey.

I think "Hey cool, I can have a really good artifact weapon now." and immediately forbid all metal bars except adamantine in the fort, hoping for something else than a war hammer. It works, the lad goes to pick up some adamantine.

Five days later, he starts to forge, and keep hammering on the forge for five other days.

And then...

I am seriously considering tossing him into the volcano now.

That's awesome, give it to your hammerer/guard captain.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13619 on: May 28, 2011, 10:54:24 am »

Sieged by goblins.
I lost one axedwarf who just ran in like an idiot.
And one of my marksdwarves got wounded.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 906 907 [908] 909 910 ... 3842