Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 905 906 [907] 908 909 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113557 times)

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13590 on: May 26, 2011, 10:13:51 pm »

Sadly I'm in rapid expansion mode for my tomb wing.

Lost 50% of my 20 dwarf military, 5 dead, 6 wounded. In one siege. All the dead were lords bar one and most of the injured too. I think Armok just wanted to smite my fort for a laugh and see what would happen. Now I'm stuck with 1 squad of brand new speardwarves as my only intact defence. Well least my medics are getting some work though.

Otherwise my fort is going well. I've got it set up to be self sustaining and just finished setting up my multi-mode entrance flusher. Hopefully should all for all the bodies, gear etc to get squished up together and clean the entrance as well. Its set up so I initially flush with high volume water then once the water is gone, magma rolls through.

Sending my 1st mining expedition into the caverns, but might put that on hold for now and build a strong point before exploring since I can't rely on my now depleted military.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13591 on: May 26, 2011, 11:09:06 pm »

The *silver war hammer* is lodged firmly in the wound!
Well... I didn't know that could happen.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13592 on: May 26, 2011, 11:30:04 pm »

I've managed to spawn next to a cave in an evil tundra region that's home to a colossus (henceforth reffered to as my Big Friendly Bronze Giant (BFBG)), werewolves, all the various cavern creatures and all the various bits and pieces for steel. I've already constructed the viewing gallery for the first goblin siege inside the naturally forming tower to the rear of my entrance. It's gonna be funny watching the goblins show up, send out scouts that are mauled by the werewolves, then have their main forces routed by my BFBG. I've also started suiting up and sending skirmishing parties out to attack the BFBG to fill my mausoleum project, a shaft running as far down as possible, lined with niches filled with the dead.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13593 on: May 27, 2011, 12:57:03 am »

I've got a question that doesn't warrant its own thread. In previous versions, if you tamed a creature that had killed a dwarf, the creature will continue to kill your citizens.

Does this still apply? I've got a rutherer I want but it just destoyed one of my woodcutters (woodcutter's fault, why were you chasing it?). Will this rutherer turn on me?
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13594 on: May 27, 2011, 01:04:30 am »

Urist McWorstMoodEver has created a badger bone war hammer!

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13595 on: May 27, 2011, 05:17:21 am »

I've got a question that doesn't warrant its own thread. In previous versions, if you tamed a creature that had killed a dwarf, the creature will continue to kill your citizens.

Does this still apply? I've got a rutherer I want but it just destoyed one of my woodcutters (woodcutter's fault, why were you chasing it?). Will this rutherer turn on me?

My money is on yes.

I just realized I have a disturbing amount of +dwarf bone amulet+, ≡dwarf nail ring≡, items adorned with dwarf hair and other assorted dwarf-based produce.
This fort is beginning to scare me. I started checking when I noticed a goblin got pincushioned with ☼dwarf bone bolt☼.
I guess the ethics don't apply to ripped off dwarf body parts  ???
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13596 on: May 27, 2011, 07:41:25 am »

I just realized I have a disturbing amount of +dwarf bone amulet+, ≡dwarf nail ring≡, items adorned with dwarf hair and other assorted dwarf-based produce.
This fort is beginning to scare me. I started checking when I noticed a goblin got pincushioned with ☼dwarf bone bolt☼.
I guess the ethics don't apply to ripped off dwarf body parts  ???

Are you kidding? If I lost an arm to some stinking goblins, hell yeah I'd take it right to the fletcher and be like "Make this damn bone into a goblin-ass-tearing couple of bolts."
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13597 on: May 27, 2011, 07:49:40 am »

Are you kidding? If I lost an arm to some stinking goblins, hell yeah I'd take it right to the fletcher and be like "Make this damn bone into a goblin-ass-tearing couple of bolts."

I am totally outdwarfed  ;)
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13598 on: May 27, 2011, 10:47:16 am »

Hey, Hi.  I could use some feedback on my situation.

I built a 22 dwarf childless fort using a huge pasture and a single stair entrance going down and secured with a hatch.  I had my guys create 2.5 mil worth of value and spend loads of time pumping nothing on 8 masterwork pumps in a setting with a 2z indoor waterfall powered by the aquifer i had dug through to get down. using the diagonal square pressure reducer and a pool on the very very bottom i had plenty of mist and wells and everybody was very happy.

I used all my iron to make masterwork weapons, farmed a yak explosion until i had masterwork armor and after killing the merchants for a couple of years was hoping for a siege in year 8. none came, i was bored and dug through the cave near which i had embarked.

I had picked the site cause the listing said something about 400+ giant bats and a like number of other thingies. So I thought I'd find something. But no!!  I had sealed it up immediately upon getting there and never saw more than 3 giant rats. There were no problem at all.  So from the very bottom i dug so see what i might find, hit slade, went up a little bit and found myself in an eerie pit.   

And nothing.  I mean.. 3 of this, 4 of the other, then 5 more things with scary names, but its been hours at 30+fps and nothing more.  I had gone into the embark options and made the number for titans 200 in my small region cause nothing ever happened the last time either. Ok, this time I got a forgotten beast in year 4 and another in year 5. one was of salt, the other of fire.  The salt one went down on the first hit.  The fire one burned a dog and a plateau, then when i sent in the guys went down without troubling anyone. 

I feel really silly now. I've now designated a part area and am letting the guys do their social thing. But should I let this run for another 10..20 years in hopes of _fun!!_ or is it like game over with the danger here?  The claystone crowns and green glass earrings arn't quite doing it for me. :(

Since I now have an opening into 'hell' I'm thinking about just abandoning the place and using my opening into hell with an adventurer. Would that make sense?  .. and or do I want to play a mod?  .. I can't do huge worlds or too many dorfs on my system 30..40 is about max if i want a decent screen resolution.  .. again.. wft would you experienced folks recommend??

thanks in advance!
m

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13599 on: May 27, 2011, 11:33:51 am »

Sigun Tickplanks, my militia commander is feeling especially metal today.

A Vile Force of Darkness Has Arrived!

Okay, everybody into the basement, squads to the entrance.

Lessee, hammergoblins, swordsgoblins, nothing too bad-

Lashers. Shit.

Okay, whatever.

Sigun gets his shield hand cut off by one of said lashers, and his shoulder torn up. Instead of passing out from pain, he sprints out through the cramped entrance, through the melee with the rest of the goblins and dwarves, apparently doing as dwarves are wont to do when threatened(running amok with no concern for their own safety). No. Instead, he stops halfway through, his healing factor having kicked in(no longer faint from blood loss), heads back towards the fort, and proceeds to go to town the remaining goblins. Only once all of the goblins are off the map does he go get medical help. And by the time the lazyass doctor got around to diagnosing him, all he needed was some cleaning, because he'd wolverine'd away his worst injuries in the time it took the diagnoser to get off his ass.

"Is incredibly quick to heal" should not be underestimated.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13600 on: May 27, 2011, 12:45:33 pm »

A message popped up, a ban on exporting certain goods.
I check the nobles screen to see what is banned this time.
Some noble is demanding rooms and furniture, who the hell is this?
It looks like while I wasn't looking, some dwarf got elected mayor!
I better go check this out.
Cilob Lionoiled, mayor.
A 13 year old dwarf girl.
Enormous, thick layers of fat on a thin frame.
Does not go out of her way to help others.
Why would you dwarfs elect her?
Sure, she has all the social skills at great, but is she ever going to do anything for you? Probably not.
She doesn't even have a beard.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13601 on: May 27, 2011, 12:52:15 pm »

A message popped up, a ban on exporting certain goods.
I check the nobles screen to see what is banned this time.
Some noble is demanding rooms and furniture, who the hell is this?
It looks like while I wasn't looking, some dwarf got elected mayor!
I better go check this out.
Cilob Lionoiled, mayor.
A 13 year old dwarf girl.
Enormous, thick layers of fat on a thin frame.
Does not go out of her way to help others.
Why would you dwarfs elect her?
Sure, she has all the social skills at great, but is she ever going to do anything for you? Probably not.
She doesn't even have a beard.
You haven't modded in ladybeards?!
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13602 on: May 27, 2011, 12:58:43 pm »

damn ambushers...

they were discoverd by war dogs (in pastures surrounding the fort) before the walls outside were finished. One group killed one of the soldiers, and this time the last soldier was overwhelmed by three groups. The hunters (who have been awesome for whittling away deadly animals and ambushers) were also killed quickly.

We were eventually saved by a locked door and the outpost caravan (because those warriors are pretty kick-ass). The last two are over-all farmers that really kind've suck otherwise. They have 1000 food and 1000 drink, but when they're hit by another ambush they have no chance.

lessons learned:
- cool method of central ramp circle works well (even if not as efficient as staircases, this allows for good traffic flow and for easy setups).
- In .25, you can apparently farm on underground dirt without muddying it - good if you lack a water source
- doctors without decent skills suck. Your soldiers will likely be permanently injured if they get hurt.
- statue gardens are awesome
- find a way to secure a fort early on - guard dogs in pens are only a partial solution.
- Mass-enabling a farming labor for all "farmers" is very efficient without micromanaging brewers, cooks, threshers, etc.
- cave trolls are huntable - but if you don't hunt them then they can tear through a fort.
- steel bolts are a LOT better than bone bolts
- A new setup for labors that makes decent sense to me:
leader - architect, most noble positions
1. shaman- doctor, bone crafting
2. druid - animal training, woodcutter, carpenter, herbalist
3. guard - soldier stuff + sheriff
4. Storyteller - mason (for statues and covering engravings), engraver, most crafting
5. Farmer - All farming
6. Hunter - Hunting obviously. Low maintenance archer
7. Peon - Hauling crap and mining

And this works up to my max population (~20), adding guards, farmers, hunters, and so forth as required.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13603 on: May 27, 2011, 01:34:58 pm »

Im running a new fort using the Fortress Defense mod.  Currently about 4 years in as best I can tell, things are a blur and I havent seen a caravan from any race in forever.

Everything is an awful mess.  When im not being seiged by 3-4 races at a time my entire 170 dwarf workforce is hammering flatout trying to dispose of body parts.  I have 6 magma smelters that have been running flatout melting objects for a few years now and am beginning to seriously consider paving the map with reclaimed goblinite.  Clothing...dont even get me started on clothing.  Even with a lot of junk loot trimmed in FD im drowning in leather caps and assorted crap and without caravans I cant offload.

Im under seige probably 7 months of the year with enemies in various stages from the surrounding wilds to the trap corridors.  The real bind is that furies arrive right at the end of summer and as fliers dont path to my fort.  If they bring elite bowman squad leaders or even entire bow squads then im reluctant to sally out and meet them outside the fort.  Every time i've done so thus far has resulted in me slamming in Minatorossi or Honey Badgerman ambushes and if I take too long about the whole thing I meet the hellfire imps in mid autumn leaving the dwarven caravan a rare thing.  Thankfully the days of swarms of tigermen, frogmen and blendecs are over as these races already brought leaders and lost them so are barely a nuiscence.

Still.  Im glad the challenge mode enemies have steel because I got no flux.  I managed to get a 50 strong military established.  maybe 10 good crossbows and 10 poor ones.  10 candy clad melee legends, 10 quality melee in steel and 10 militia melee in iron take care of the trap-avoid races.  My axe lord and spear master both broke 60 notable kills in my most recent seige, both are wielding candy artifacts, both made their own weapon under posession.  (my policy of having all militia serve a few months as rookie weaponsmiths making menacing spikes is paying off big time..about 35% of my eligible mood dwarves have weaponsmith highest)

My greatest regret is that I've been forced to neglect my caverns.  With my attention so firmly on the surface the FBs are starting to stack up.  Theres deadly dust and deadly blood in 1 which sounds like a shit party if ever I heard one.  2 has a firebreather and a spitter which would be fine but theres a shaft to 3 which has 2 more with deadly blood and both fly so thats a 4 way pile of fun.  I may have to resort to opening tunnels to a room with puppies and a magma shower which is boring.  I like to get kills on my dwarves :)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #13604 on: May 27, 2011, 02:25:25 pm »

Continuing my exploration/subjugation of the caverns...

"Raw adamantine! Praise the miners!"

Cool stuff, it's my first cotton candy break. Unaware that the shaft was HOLLOW down into the !!censored!!, I kept digging happily. Fun ensued, such that I needed to savescum to continue playing this fort.

I have now pinpointed the shaft location and have smoothed and carved arrow slits therein. My marksdwarves are getting great practice and really making short work of the ashy clowns, and I continue to dig with impunity. A glorious day for the dwarves of Sodrimtar, huzzah!
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.
Pages: 1 ... 905 906 [907] 908 909 ... 3842