Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 904 905 [906] 907 908 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113455 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13575 on: May 25, 2011, 09:49:50 am »

I just found a 24-Urist-high waterfall! What should I do with it?
Drown elves.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13576 on: May 25, 2011, 01:06:44 pm »

I just found a 24-Urist-high waterfall! What should I do with it?
Drown elves in the whole world.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Bobbias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13577 on: May 25, 2011, 04:28:34 pm »

Ok, so recently someone had a mood, and more recently, a child had a mood. What was the child's artifact craft inspired by? None other than the artifact gold crossbow that my first mood created...

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13578 on: May 25, 2011, 04:38:27 pm »

I just played several hours in the waterfall fort, and decided to start experimenting.

I tried activating every single labour on every dwarf. The result? Millions of 'store item in stockpile' jobs. I have no idea why.

Later, my waterfall started pouring into my fortress and causing dangerous terrain/job cancellation spam. In the end I just got tired of a fortress full of dorves not doing anything that I decided to deactivate every labour except mining on all of them and mine out the entire world. Here's the progress so far:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, yay! More forced labourers migrants!

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOO! Goblin Ambush! My poor, poor slave workers...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 04:55:20 pm by Tharwen »
[Signature]

xmagicx60

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13579 on: May 25, 2011, 05:03:20 pm »

As a noob, I'm currently realizing major mistakes such as not building a kitchen and a well, and forgetting to make bedrooms.....

I'm such a derp, and a space hog, most of my rooms are far bigger than they need to be. XD

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13580 on: May 25, 2011, 06:49:15 pm »

Don't worry. Everyone spends the first few months of playing DF feeling like a failure. A lot of people underestimate the importance of good food and bedrooms when they start out.  Space is one of the few things a fort can never run out of, so I wouldn't worry about room size.

My current fort is just starting out. I'm in the middle of the first year, so my masons are going crazy trying to keep up with all the build-wall jobs.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13581 on: May 25, 2011, 08:52:19 pm »

As a noob, I'm currently realizing major mistakes such as not building a kitchen and a well, and forgetting to make bedrooms.....

I'm such a derp, and a space hog, most of my rooms are far bigger than they need to be. XD

xD Don't worry, it gets easier. Like Ghills said, you feel stupid for your first couple of forts until you get the hang of "Hey, I need food!"

Here's a tip; for your forts, embark in a "warm" place that's pretty well forested. You'll always have food - provided your dwarves don't mind eating plants - and your water sources won't freeze over or evaporate away (which is a SERIOUS nuisance if you aren't quite skilled enough to plan for it).

Also, a lot of the plants you collect in most places - especially if you have, say, about ten to fifteen percent of your dwarves picking plants in their off-time - can be easily brewed into stacks and stacks of alcohol - and the plants that you don't brew become food!

Wells are only necessary if you don't have enough booze - or lots of injuries. On the embark screen, I recommend taking close to double the amount of alcohol suggested, as well as doubling the food. Ditch most of the bags and bits of cloth; they're expensive. This gives you some more time to get a kitchen/still/farm plot up and running.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13582 on: May 26, 2011, 12:05:37 pm »

On the 28th of Obsidian, year 334, bookkeeper and legendary miner Ral Urolurist died of old age.  He was 63 years old, one of the starting seven, and left behind his wife the manager as well as 24 children.  Rest in peace.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13583 on: May 26, 2011, 03:32:36 pm »

Fortress Actionpaints, year 506.

Goblins and their Troll kill squad. 50 of them altogether, and we have no iron or tin. Goblins are let inside the airlock, which is closed when half of them are in. At the sides, walls lower in, crushing a Troll and 2 Goblins out of the 26 that got in, revealing our crossbowdwarves behind fortifications, that shoot all their bolts, but 10 attackers still live, although all but the Goblin leader wounded. Then the front gate into the airlock is lowered, and our 15 strong infantry marches in as a solid wall of hammers, spears and swords, finishing off the survivors, that included the Goblin leaders. Surviving Goblins outside flee!

Captain of the crossbow squad "Tin of Scales", Edzul, who confirmedly got 6 Goblins in the battle, afterwards revisited the battlefield (as "no job") and the bunker his squad was in, twice. The hammerdwarf who finished off the last of the attackers also spends several minutes in the battlefield, following the haulers clean the mess. This was the first battle of them both,  DF never stops to amaze me.  :o
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:55:01 pm by Erkki »

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13584 on: May 26, 2011, 03:52:46 pm »

The queen consort has given birth to two children.  The line of succession for the Anvil of Catches remains healthy.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13585 on: May 26, 2011, 06:27:57 pm »

"Bring Down the Sky" project about 60 % complete. My fortress is swamped with ghosts I refuse to put to rest untill I have had my revenge (and incidentally destroyed their corpses).
While work continues, my dwarves are not getting any sleep with all the haunting, and occasionally they will get attacked by the restless dead and have an arm ripped off.
The ghosts also enjoy trashing the place. Work has been taking so long ghost babies have matured into ghost children and ghost children into ghost adults.
Which raises the interesting question, can ghosts die from old age ?  :o
I've tried to gradually lower my population but despite all ghosts's, goblin's and my own efforts it has actually reached 218 now. FPS steady at 21.
My military is slowly becoming powerfull, but lack of steel remains a problem.
My grizzly bear breeding program is so successfull trained war grizzlies almost outnumber my wardogs now  :P
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13586 on: May 26, 2011, 06:49:25 pm »

Which raises the interesting question, can ghosts die from old age ? 

They can.  Dwarven souls expire and are called back to Armok whether the dwarf is live or undead.

Today Sparkrazor's population finally reached 80.  Almost instantly, Thon Jehaalu the Mountain Titan showed up.  It immediately flew right through my defenses, somehow, despite the fact that I was pretty sure there was no path that even a flier could take.  I send my military at it.  First up was a newly-recruited novice swordsdwarf, who did no damage and bled to death after having a limb ripped off.  Second was a fairly well-skilled hammerdwarf wielding an artiface hammer.  She did fairly well, inflicting some bruises while avoiding injury, but by this point the fight had moved to the grassy pasture area.  Thon Jehaal threw fireballs that set the entire pasture alight, and the hammerdwarf burned to death.  The titan then moved up to the fortress walls to chase some haulers.  Then, suddenly, Thon was dead.  I was puzzled, looked around, and then saw my unreasonably awesome multi-legendary marksdwarf Captain of the Guard, who had just killed the titan with a single moose bone bolt to the brain, fired from halfway across the map.  Damn.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13587 on: May 26, 2011, 07:26:56 pm »

I'm playing the Genesis mod, and it's the spring of my second year. A Sylvan Elf caravan shows up. Right after that a Dusk elf caravan shows up. And after that, "An ambush! Skulking Vermin!" followed shortly by "Thief! Protect the hoard from skulking filth!"

At this point I'm a little concerned because I have no military or traps yet. What happens next? "The Ettin Usek Rombubagsnug Sususnonu has come! A giant humanoid monster with two heads."

Fuuuuuuuck.

EDIT: And another ambush. Damn kobolds. >_>
And another thief? Wow.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:29:51 pm by Organum »
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Axedwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13588 on: May 26, 2011, 07:44:52 pm »

Today I understood the major importance of minor things like the graveyard and the jail.

the group "Fish the big beast of the sea" from Seadog had to deal with a bloody siege.
My first-try burrows not working that well, many haulers were wandering while the Trolls charged. they eventually attacked my cattle's nursery, leaving the time for my dwarves to come at them. Nobody died there, but a sworddwarf fleed due to many injuries... straight to the goblin hammermen's group. rest in peace.

Then, epic gunfight (well, It was this awesome) between my 3 legendary marksdwarves/archers/ambushers, well protected by the Haulers-moving-wall effective strategy, against the 10 goblin bowmen. Many wounds to the goblins and the haulers, some potash makers drowned in their blood, but the goblins still stand up. My beloved captain is fully bruised.
Then the big part of the militia finished fapping the last agonizing troll and chased the bowmen, who finally escaped.

The maceman got some bolts in the rear, and decided not to do anything stupid. And so the siege was over. (on an unrelated note, right after the militia arrived, I managed to put every civilian in my bowmen's quarters burrows, and closed my platinum vertical bars-behind it is my whole fortress, a balista and an angry legendary siege operator who knows how to use it, and in front of it are a stock of cage traps)

AND THEN? THE DOWNWARD MOOD SPIRAL!

...nothing particular to say about it, it's a regular one... legendary (and only) miner accidentally struck down during a beating, legendary engraver ending in a dwarf bone scepter, mayor going insane/replacement being jailed/new one being incompetent...

...but then! I understood how it could have ended quickly.
My dorfs were sad about all that blood and those rotting bros everywhere. I should have done a big graveyard since the beginning, because everything is going down really quickly now!
And, once the dorfs are jailed, they stop annoying anyone. So, I need a big jail with many cells.

I'm trying to do these actually, but it will be hard.

(if I can't get my fortress back... well, angry legendary siege operator is facing the biggest way of the fort, so fun there will be.)
attend party
Skilled axedwarf
talented engraver
novice soap maker
dabbling potash maker
dabbling student

Kraftwerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13589 on: May 26, 2011, 10:00:49 pm »

Dear God... Why? So a caravan comes to my fortress, and at the very same time, I was messing around with the squads menu, and I realize I can kill the Merchant if I want to. So I decide to try it and see what happens. So my military slaughters him. But for some reason I don't get quite yet, they begin to slaughter everyone else in the fortress. Most of them get killed, but one hammer dwarf named Urist Dakonsibrek just won't die. My other dwarfs refuse to touch him. I go to reports to see what he's doing. He's beating a woodworker to death with a shoe. I check the woodworker- Nearly every bone in her body is broken.

No wonder my other dwarfs are scared shitless of Urist Dakonsibrek. I decide that maybe if I remove him from the military, he'll stop killing everyone. But he still scares every dwarf he comes into contact with, causing them all to interupt what they're doing. He finds his way into the hospital, and lays down on the bed. He doesn't get any medical assistance, infact, the dwarfs refuse to go near the barracks the hospital is connected to. Dwarfs ACROSS THE MAP are getting interrupted by Urist Dakonsibrek. And then... And then... A cave crocodile comes up from out of nowhere. I have no military at this point, so he takes a good 3 dwarfs with him, while he's chomping on my woodworkers, I frantically put someone in the military. He grabs one of the bronze spears from the caravan I raided, and makes short work of the crocodile. Then, he charges into the hospital, and stabs Urist Dakonsibrek in the head. Urist dies instantly. The other dwarves get back to their labors, and place all the wounded in bed. So at the end of the day:
12 casualties
Several dwarves are missing hands and feet because of the crocodile
One dwarf has every bone in her body broken.
And numerous, numerous miscellaneous injuries.

I'm down to 10 dwarves here, and all of the useful ones are dead. Now... Now tantrum spiral is beginning. They don't like the blood and guts everywhere :/
Pages: 1 ... 904 905 [906] 907 908 ... 3842