Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 903 904 [905] 906 907 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113475 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13560 on: May 24, 2011, 07:39:29 am »

D. Build a wall on the wrong side, 's'uspend it, and then build a grate (he won't stand on the to-be-built-wall side), and remove the wall-designation.

It's not cheating if it fixes a stupid bug.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13561 on: May 24, 2011, 07:57:57 am »

D. Build a wall on the wrong side, 's'uspend it, and then build a grate (he won't stand on the to-be-built-wall side), and remove the wall-designation.

It's not cheating if it fixes a stupid bug.

You say bug, I say feature!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13562 on: May 24, 2011, 08:06:18 am »

Then I vote C. Darwinism.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13563 on: May 24, 2011, 08:15:42 am »

E.  Don't build a wall grate, it won't do you any good.  Like fortifications, wall grates submerged in water or magma don't block the movement of creatures at all.  You need to pump magma up through a floor grate to build an imp-proof magma supply.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13564 on: May 24, 2011, 08:41:27 am »

I use the carve-fortifications method for sweet magma release. And I make sure my maga-workshops' access channels are under the impassible blocks on the blueprint.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13565 on: May 24, 2011, 10:05:13 am »

A giant silverfish arrived.
Motherfucking demon insect.
Then a recruit scratched it and it died.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:07:52 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13566 on: May 24, 2011, 10:21:35 am »

A silverfish ? How is exactly that thing dangerous ?

Unholy carp mother of Armok, a 21 dwarf wave ! Most of them have no useful skills, as expected. A few will however be marksdwarves.

Village of Rhymedcalls is now at 91 dwarves, including 36 children. Probably too much, but they will help build an obsidian fortress until I finish it, put invaders back on and will have to cope with dragon, warwolf, goblin, fire imp and great fiend spider sieges.

Yeah, dragon sieges. Plus they're fliers. Also known as XX!!INCREDIBLY LARGE AMOUNTS OF FUN!!XX

Now let us see if my dwarves can do that...

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13567 on: May 24, 2011, 10:33:10 am »

That bastard had a poisonous bite and a rough, cracked exoskeleton.
It was no real threat, but it did wound a non-war dog who joined in on the fight.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

usgreth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13568 on: May 24, 2011, 11:22:50 am »

2nd wave of clowns finished the place off (well kind of, there was 1 child left with a broken spine that was being strangled by my newly released bronze colossus for several months). I got bored waiting for the child to die, it just wasn't having any of it, I wonder if 'absolutely inexhaustible' on his profile had something to do with it. Anyhow, checking legends mode afterwards, my bronze colossus had choked 4 goblins and 1 troll to death with a sock ;)

Ilikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13569 on: May 24, 2011, 04:11:53 pm »

Going smoothly, just got my 3th and 4th legendary axeman. And not with cheesy danger room, using sparring and live training. Gosh, 124 dwarves and the FPS is holding at 100 most of the time, it's good :D

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13570 on: May 24, 2011, 05:14:14 pm »

"Bring down the sky" project to retake my lower levels from the clowns is proceeding slowly even with 100 dwarves mining away. About 1/3 of the way done. FPS sloooowly climbing up to 21 from 17 with 217 dwarves...still no iron ore only a little galena.
My dwarves are running around all mad max. One has a left steel gauntlet, the other a steel helm...

I'm guessing dropping two entire levels for a cavein is overdoing it but I figure if you're going to do it, go it over the top.
Waiting for that fatal mistake in my design to kick in but nothing so far.

EDIT: The goblins just slaughtered an elven caravan...quess I won't be lacking for wood this winter :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:59:59 pm by LuckyLuigi »
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13571 on: May 25, 2011, 07:10:07 am »

My fortress, buried deep in the granite sides of a volcano, has taken a year and a half to approach fully-operational status. We had a slight mishap earlier in Spring when, in preparation for our moat, my legendary miner cracked open a lava plume and then stuck around to admire his work.

However, our magma forges are almost operational! The secondary magma flow is inching forwards and soon I'll have 6 smelters and 6 forges up and running.

Since we've only just gotten our workshops up and properly running (Prior experience has said micromanage the food first, then the money) we've only really had one good trade.

The Elves brought us some awesome pets, but I couldn't afford them. Coincidentally, our major export this year to the dwarves is barrels of cloth.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13572 on: May 25, 2011, 07:16:17 am »

Our mighty fortress of Goldenbeer is no more.We were sieged by about 4 squads of gobbos and we let them in thinking we are invulnerable. Soon we had sort of reality check when gobs rushed through our main defences. Battle raged for days couple of seconds until 93 of us had been massacred. We fought to the very end in a very dwarfy way.  Itook a picture when the goblins were aproaching the last couple of brave dwarves! goblins on the bottom right and remaining dwarves top right.

the quality is awful and i hope the link works
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:50:57 am by dwarfhoplite »

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13573 on: May 25, 2011, 07:34:22 am »

Still waiting for the magma smelters to come online.  I am building crypts in the lower levels (still on 40d), and finally have enough steel to outfit my small defence force in plate mail.

I was able to buy out the entire caravan.  Fortunately, everything they had was useful.  No goblins assaults this year.  I have carved out a spot for my Hammerer, away from the rest of the fortress.

Next up, I need a defensive wall around my guard tower.  I dug into the side of a mountain, so I need to get rid of the ramps on the mountain sides, to prevent nasty creatures from doing an end-run.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13574 on: May 25, 2011, 09:42:28 am »

I just found a 24-Urist-high waterfall! What should I do with it?
[Signature]
Pages: 1 ... 903 904 [905] 906 907 ... 3842