Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 902 903 [904] 905 906 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113316 times)

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13545 on: May 23, 2011, 03:42:35 pm »

A vile force of archer-gobbos arrived, before we could wall off an above-ground archery range for the new-formed marksdwarves-squad. From Potash-Makers to Archers, just figuring out which way to hold the crossbow, to pincushions. Nobody misses them.

The gobbos fought onwards. Losing some of their toughest greenskins to pathetic stonefall-traps they became a bit uncertain, was it really a good idea to set food into a fortress filled with badger-torturing lunatics, who had season after season to construct most horrible traps? They stopped, two ells before our genius drowning trap.

The pride of our fortress, the axedwarf-squad, held their breath just around the next corner. It would've been quite a few paces straight at the hesitating archer-gobbos, without cover, and our mayor couldn't recall the mountainhomes specifically asking for pincushions, shortly after demanding for golden splints.

Change of tactics: The old service-tunnel. Like axe-wielding maddwarves they fell the gobbos in the back, limbs flying everywhere, blood for the blood god! It was a furious fight, heavy losses on both sides, only Logem Rampartlegends survived unharmed.

Only Rampartlegends could survive every onslaught, the hero of the fortress, protector of Ustuthzim... On his way to his celebration, he was squished by a retracting drawbridge.

Oh, and the smith thoroughly fulfilling the mayors demand, was roasted by a fire imp.

What I learned today: It's always advisable to build your bridges 2 tiles long, because on 1 tile long bridges you can't see if it's still lowered or not.
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13546 on: May 23, 2011, 04:23:29 pm »

One of my ratpeople just gave birth to triplets. Among them are a couple pups named Thikut Pulleyrift (seems like a commentary, no?), and the presumably horribly doomed Tig Bridgebait.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13547 on: May 23, 2011, 05:50:42 pm »

Just lost another fort. My fifty legendary soldiers killed the HFS easily, but then they returned in the statue garden... One of the worst syndromes I have ever seen. Nearly 180 dwarves rotted in fifteen minutes. I managed to save ten of them by placing them in the upper bunker, but lack of food and tantrums killed them.

ZaDoktor

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves and Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #13548 on: May 23, 2011, 07:14:13 pm »

Everything had been going well in my desert fort, plenty of food and drink, everyone is pretty content, and my expedition leader had just entered a fey mood and created my first artifact, a highwood armor stand.

So the same expedition leader is now walking outside gathering wood to continue construction, when an animal migrates onto the map. A honey badger.

Now, I've never encountered one of these before personally, so all I have to go off of is the stories on here, of badgers being unholy limb-removing death on four legs, so, naturally, I'm thinking my expedition leader is a goner. Sure enough, the badger intercepts my expedition leader and enrages.

So the badger swipes at my dwarf, but misses, and so the dwarf counterattacks, grabbing it by a toe on its left rear back leg. Then the dwarf charges at it and in mid-charge punches the honey badger in its right rear back leg hard enough to shatter the bone. The dwarf then collides with the badger, knocking it over, then he promptly stands up and walks away.

While this is going on my rag-tag team of militia, with hardly any armor and pretty much all training weapons, are rushing over. The badger is going in and out of consciousness and attempting to crawl away with it's good legs. The militia arrives, and start hacking, bashing, and just overall tearing it apart as it misses every attack. It's finally finished off as my militia commander kicks it's head hard enough to shatter the bone and send it flying into the brain, killing it instantly.

I don't know how common an occurrence it is for a dwarf to stand their ground against a honey badger, but my expedition leader is now amazing in my eyes, especially considering all he did was bookkeeping and a bit of carpentry before this happened.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13549 on: May 23, 2011, 08:38:00 pm »

My first time playing the fortress defence mod. I had fended off the ape sieges in the first year pretty easily. Even got over 300 meat out of them. But then in spring, second year, about 15 harpy archers AND 12 white tiger spearmen show up. Versus my 12 dwarf militia armed with only copper and leather. Of course I wasn't going to take those odds so I ordered the lever to drawbridge pulled. And pulled again. and again....Turns out I forgot to even hook the damn thing up.  ::)

Managed to kill all the tigermen and a good number of the harpys but the rest marched into the fort and slaughtered everyone.   

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13550 on: May 23, 2011, 08:52:11 pm »

Goblin ambush took out a potter/weaver(haven't done any pottery), strange mood apparently wanting phantom spider silk took the other weaver. Thankfully, I've got a legendary leatherworker(fey mood, also got the best punk pants ever from it), so clothing or other articles won't be a problem. The cloth is starting to pile up though...

Three prisoners from ambush(which also killed two troops, an ammoless crossbowdwarf, and a swordsdwarf, and a pig) are currently chilling in the river. I mean chilling, since it just thawed, so the water should still be frickin cold. I wonder, do wooden cages somehow create an environmental forcefield that lets them breathe in water?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13551 on: May 23, 2011, 09:55:41 pm »

Third forgotten beast fell to my adamantine clad legendaries (hooray for danger rooms!). He got off one good puff of gas, before getting scratched in the body, which tore his brain?!? He coated three guys, who got blisters and bled a lot, but were out of the hospital in three weeks. Hooray for hospitals now, they work great! This all yielded my second named weapon a few months after. The first one happened as soon as the weapon killed a forgotten beast. My porcelain keep is done, the porcelain tower, complete with tons of scary porcelain statues all over the outside, is almost done. Building up stocks of porcelain blocks for my giant porcelain fountain. Currently keeping 188 dwarfs too busy to socialize. Probably getting duchy soon, the liaison just showed up.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13552 on: May 23, 2011, 10:17:40 pm »

So, does the ruler of this porcelain keep spend most of his time on a porcelain throne? Do the Dwarves worship the porcelain god (RAAALPH)?

Edit: Just dropped a big chunk of rock on the heads of a crowd of clowns. Nailed 'em all. Now to start digging down through all of that yummy candy. Digging deep isn't really a problem, as long as you plan ahead.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:23:47 pm by khearn »
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13553 on: May 23, 2011, 10:25:23 pm »

A caravan arrived. As they were making their way to my fort, they came across a Goblin ambush, which peppered them with bolts and arrows.
The merchant guards slaughtered them all, but not before they got in several kills of their own.

The surviving merchants and pack animals are slowly going insane.
Berserk donkeys. Mad horses. Melancholy merchants. All while my original 7 are dragging unwanted migrants to the butcher's shop for slaughter.
Tonight is a good night.

Edit: And now I'm being haunted by the slaughtered migrants.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 11:36:02 pm by Steele »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13554 on: May 24, 2011, 02:43:09 am »

I don't know how common an occurrence it is for a dwarf to stand their ground against a honey badger
If only they always came alone. The normal badgers are merely annoying, and sometimes a bit dangerous, it's the giant ones you need to look out for.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13555 on: May 24, 2011, 02:56:27 am »

I'm getting things back on track in earthentangle after a break. Cleaned up my mess of a dozen lingering ghosts, started organizing my stockpiles and workshops and expanding my industry a little bit.
It's mostly still construction with half my population churning out rock blocks and creating housing, no single house is finished yet.
I'm also taking a more sensible approach to raizing the cavern ceiling, starting up going down this time. Untill I manage to get back my mininng picks I'm stuck with only one miner.

Also had lotsa beasties waltzing in, most notable a giant cave spider (wich I caught), several packs of troglodytes wich got swarmed by civilians and one pack of crundle who are ready for adoption as pet now. (Looks like my fortress is going to have a crazy crundle lady, she loves crundles for their energetic bursts or something along those lines)

Also realized reachers in the lake below a bridge can be quite dangerous, as a child on it's way to harvest plants got dragged in the water and swiftly drowned. My marksdwarves cleaned up the lake.

Edit: I meant pond grabbers not reachers. Reachers are hardly any danger to me. :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:01:19 am by Jelle »

Jamuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13556 on: May 24, 2011, 05:14:52 am »

2 brave dwarfs were covered in magma while building the doomsday device for my fort

one even showed up as a ghost ... mcSuicideDwarfs ghost  8)
but soon went on into the next world

titan bee slayed ...

oh and catched a bleeding syndrome that seems to kill off every dwarf in my fort, without my doctors doing anything at all (suckers)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13557 on: May 24, 2011, 05:57:50 am »

Found adamantine in the form of a spire submerged in magma for about ten Z-levels.

I'm going to create a giant stone tube above it, then drop it into place and drain the magma out, so that 1) I can dig fortifications in to check for the circus before I go, and 2) I can get all the adamantine, not just the creamy and very possibly clowny center.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13558 on: May 24, 2011, 06:44:17 am »

I started a new fortress, Idaved (Rocksclobbered!) and my very first stone is chalk. :D Found tetrahedrite and magnetitties just a moment later, in the same block of 8 3x3 rooms I ordered digging. This time, Goblins!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:56:44 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13559 on: May 24, 2011, 07:36:55 am »

Pop quiz:  a tunnel is dug to a magma pipe, designed to allow the magma to flow into a reservoir so the Magma Smelters can be fired up. 

Given that I do not want fire imps tossing fireballs around my booze stockpile (this time, at least), I have prepared a steel grate to be installed in the tunnel.

Urist McAnimal Trainer installs the grate.  With himself on the wrong (ie: magma pipe) side.  Do you

A.   Uninstall the grate, then reinstall it, hoping he gets it right next time,

B.   Dig the little moron out, then wall off the newly excavated part of the tunnel with the help of one of my precious, legenday masons, or

C.   Order the Miners to dig the channel that will unleash the sweet, sweet magma?

The fortress of Rockstown (yes, an actual random name) awaits your decision!!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."
Pages: 1 ... 902 903 [904] 905 906 ... 3842