Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110949 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13065 on: May 05, 2011, 07:03:22 am »

I'm not sure, but maybe it's good idea to check if they're not rotting? :(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13066 on: May 05, 2011, 07:36:57 am »

Goblin ambush just slaughtered and drove off the elf caravan.  My dwarves were hiding underground, except for one glassmaker who simply hung out for no particular reason.  I would have sent the military to rescue the elves, but I am running a pacifist fort--no weapons training at all.  The goblins made it to the entrance structure (you have to go through the trading room to get into the fort proper).  Unfortunately for them, after killing a few puppies, they were killed, maimed, or seriously wounded by the stonefall and weapons traps.  The survivors ran away.

Pacifist does not mean stupid.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13067 on: May 05, 2011, 07:41:33 am »

Oh fuckadoodledo. My Militia Commander got a fay mood. She needed a Glass Furnace (had to build one) and now wants raw green glass. LUCKILY I had killed the Elf caravan to nick their stuff; they had some sand with them. Well. Hopefully enough for enough green glass.

Yay, luckily I had enough sand for three pieces of glass, as wanted. She then grabbed cassiterite and made a glass amulet of 12000. :D Thanks, Elves, your death was not in vain! And fun, too.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 08:29:15 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13068 on: May 05, 2011, 08:54:08 am »

Ending year one in Lancedburial: setting up as much as I can for my friend, who I sent the save to. He's a total newbie to DF. I've got a magma metalworking chain set up, set up the cap on the volcano, laid out the workshop and storage floors. Here's hoping nothing cataclysmic happens until after I get the save back.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13069 on: May 05, 2011, 09:18:01 am »

Just put 58 cave crocodiles in a cage, 56 being hatchlings.

In one or two years it'll make a hell of a croc bomb, depending on the croc's aggressiveness.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13070 on: May 05, 2011, 09:39:16 am »

I'm walling off some parts of the caverns to prevent the lesser nasties from slaughtering my dwarfs fleeing from the greater nasties.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Suihanki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13071 on: May 05, 2011, 11:34:04 am »

I feel like I should participate instead of lurking...

Boatskeys is going strong at about a population of 200, at about 6 years in. Having completed the magma-ducts, smithing has begun rather late. Most of the gold statues being made for decoration are oddly about the Bookkeeper's fear of Mussels... So I've put those in his office to remind him what'll happen if he doesn't do his job right.

Before all of this, a giant lizard-thingie appeared and bee-lined for the Fort Entrance. My military masterfully took him out, and I was excited to start cooking up some roasts, but the beast's blood crashed the game. Luckily this happened right after an autosave, so I reloaded determined to never look at it's blood next time he spawned. The next beast? a Glacial Titan. It promptly jumped into the open parts of the brook alongside Boatskey and was swept away under the brook, only to be killed when it froze in winter. Who would have known its weakness would be more ice...
Think of it as Jenga: Mines of Moria edition, and you're not too far off.

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13072 on: May 05, 2011, 11:45:40 am »

Old fortress was boring, so I am now trying to embark on a TERRIFYING forest next to some savage mountains.

Everyone gets axe and shield user skill.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13073 on: May 05, 2011, 01:07:13 pm »

I encountered my first cavern troll yesterday. Luckily, the one to bump into it was my militia captain with a copper shield, copper helm, one or two peices of bone armour and a steel battleaxe.

The first "Oh shit, a Troll!" move was to chop off it's left horn. I activated the rest of the squad (just one other macedwarf with a copper buckler, pitiful armour, and a -silver mace-) and ordered them to kill the troll. The macedwarf spent the entire battle being useless, "gathering equipment". The toussle with the troll ended with one yellow wound on my militia captain and a red wound on one of his toes. He isn't moving around, but he's not dead or bleeding out, I think. The only other damage he was able to inflict on the troll was to chop off it's left hand.

After my militian commander stopped moving (presumably because of his mangled toe), the troll went to go hide under the stairs. My expedition leader then comes down to pick of some silver ore, but he gets attacked by the troll. As this is happening, my woodcutter goes to the level to pick up some ore. After stupidly hoping that the militia commander would get up and finish killing the troll (it was pale from blood loss), or that the macedwarf would finally get his ass down to the caverns, I drafted the woodcutter who already had a battleaxe and sent him after the troll. He chopped the other horn off and turned the troll into a mangled corpse.

The expedition leader had a mangled upper spine and died of suffocation. First death of the fort. I'm still cleaning up after that debacle.

Also, this was the first thing that happened after I got soundsense up and running.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13074 on: May 05, 2011, 01:13:21 pm »

So apparently my fortress design became a dystopian Empire at some point.

Anything else I can inflict on these Hopeless Productive citizens?

Divide each level in half. Fill one half with magma, then rig your 5-year clock to move the magma from one side to the other. Make your selected dwarfs race the magma to the safety of the stairwell to the next level. Bonus: This will weed out the slow ones too.

Hmm... This is an interesting Idea, I'll have to set the room sup to be floodable, then ensure they drain properly, THEN make sure all the furniture isn't flammable.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13075 on: May 05, 2011, 01:40:20 pm »

Divide each level in half. Fill one half with magma, then rig your 5-year clock to move the magma from one side to the other. Make your selected dwarfs race the magma to the safety of the stairwell to the next level. Bonus: This will weed out the slow ones too.

Hmm... This is an interesting Idea, I'll have to set the room sup to be floodable, then ensure they drain properly, THEN make sure all the furniture isn't flammable.

Iron is your best friend. Cheap, abundant, magma-resistant.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13076 on: May 05, 2011, 04:15:23 pm »

I don't know about you, but in all my fortresses iron has been incredibly hard to find / get to. I'm making due with mostly tetrahedrite and native silver for my metal/military industry.

Silver -War Hammers- for everyone!
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13077 on: May 05, 2011, 08:00:31 pm »

The hallway into the hillside, which leads to the staircase down into Rockscraft, is filled with cage traps. Enough to disable at least 2 ambushes simultaneously, even if they don't retreat. I have only caught thieves so far, but I've begun digging out one tile of wall on either side, in order to line the hall with caged goblins.

Meanwhile, my adamantine industry is going fantastically. Almost my entire squad is equipped with adamantine armour, and there's extra armour waiting at the forge, for whenever the rest of the lazy bastards decide to equip it.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13078 on: May 05, 2011, 08:03:59 pm »

Iron is your best friend. Cheap, abundant, magma-resistant.

I figure'd I'd just use magmaproof stonem cheaper, more abundant. the magma flooding level are for the people I don't like yet, I'm not spending precious Iron on them.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #13079 on: May 05, 2011, 08:16:03 pm »

I'm currently trapped in my fort by goblins.  My danger room still isn't active, so my iron equipped militia was utterly destroyed by a Ettin (who was missing one of his heads and an ear).  Eventually they leave, I open the front gate, and wait for a few minutes for another ambush.  Once my danger room is functioning (which requires me to rebuild the entire fluid repeater once again)  I might actually stand a chance.  Fortunately, there's nothing on the surface I need.  the entire area is a barren wasteland, no water, trees, and not much for grass either.

Also, is there any way to set where migrants and caravans enter the map at?  Currently they still ignore my elevated road and just pop out wherever.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 3842