Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 869 870 [871] 872 873 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110963 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13050 on: May 03, 2011, 10:22:11 pm »

A Minotaur came to my fortress while I was gathering wood for charcoal-- one of the few times I let my dwarves out. I hastily draft the lone woodcutter that happened to be extremely close to the beast, hoping for the best but expecting the worst...

The first strike:
The Woodcutter hacks the Minotaur in the head with his +steel battle axe+ and the severed part sails off in an arc!
...Wait, what? Okay then. Free Minotaur meat for everyone!

In other news, the first Dwarven death in the fortress happened to be the result of an enraged giant badger boar. Punched straight through a hauler's chest, then tore off both his arms and chewed on his head until he bled to death.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:24:22 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13051 on: May 03, 2011, 11:40:35 pm »

Crossposting for suggestions:

Something I'd thought of for a generation capsule fort I'd been working on in theory was to just have multiple layers, the starting seven start on the lowest, most well equipped layer, and each wave of immigrants has to slowly percolate downward, ensuring that only useful dwarves are introduced into the main population. males and Females would have separate quarters to prevent marriage and babies, and the doors to the next lowest level only unlock every 5 years. That's enough time to conventionally train them as a militia, or to get them to a useful specialization at a respectable level, ensuring the lowest areas are lavishly furnished. I need to think of a good way to thin the herd though, cull the weak and only allow the strong to survive. Once they get to the middle (of three) areas I can't think of a way to do so nicely, aside from just looking for all the weak and stupid ones who survived the first level and changing their burrow to the magma chamber.

Eugenics,  Needless Cruelty, Class Struggle, Sounds dwarfy to me.

Any ideas for what I should implement in it?

So apparently my fortress design became a dystopian Empire at some point.

I plan to Have the doors connect to the pitfall Embarkation Zone from the first level to the second and have each level below the first staffed with A top notch Medicae. Any who die of infection or injury are buried in a minimalistic fashion. Those who survive are left in the care of the medicae until they heal enough to resume work and hone their skills further, possibly picking up a second trade. Once any who remain weak, stupid, or sickly have been Welcomed into the Death Trap Rehabilitation Center  The 5-year clock will chime and the newly minted Citizens shall gain entry into the fortress.

Screening will not stop there, however, they will be constantly monitored, and those who create civil unrest or cannot get along will be Rehabilitated. Citizen-Helpers who mandate idiotic things will be Dealt With. Naturally the populace will be Happy, and all children will Perfect, Always.

Anything else I can inflict on these Hopeless Productive citizens?
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13052 on: May 04, 2011, 12:33:06 am »

A Minotaur came to my fortress while I was gathering wood for charcoal-- one of the few times I let my dwarves out. I hastily draft the lone woodcutter that happened to be extremely close to the beast, hoping for the best but expecting the worst...

The first strike:
The Woodcutter hacks the Minotaur in the head with his +steel battle axe+ and the severed part sails off in an arc!
...Wait, what? Okay then. Free Minotaur meat for everyone!

In other news, the first Dwarven death in the fortress happened to be the result of an enraged giant badger boar. Punched straight through a hauler's chest, then tore off both his arms and chewed on his head until he bled to death.

i was unaware that you could butcher minotaurs...i'll have to remember that next time i see one

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13053 on: May 04, 2011, 03:32:28 am »

Nothing particularly interesting.

Other than the whole earth-weeping-blood part. I think my fortress has an entirely different sort of ghost. (More to come once I finish collecting screenshots).
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13054 on: May 04, 2011, 04:30:11 am »

Bellrings (tundra fort) has just brought up magma 45 z-levels to fill a moat. 90 pumps double stacked, all components made of iron including the blocks. I thought I had over-engineered my pump stack, I needed 7 standard water reactors to get it going but I was glad of it in the end. Filled a 4-wide moat around the outer perimeter of a 4x4 embark in less than a season, with the ability to pull up more whenever I want it. Also oddly I really didn't suffer noticeable lag while doing it, despite the multiple reactors and massive amount of liquid moved. Maybe because it was a double stack with 2 draw tiles per level?

Now to tap into the supply and get me some above-ground magma forges/glass furnaces... :)
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13055 on: May 04, 2011, 04:35:37 am »

My mayor has mandated draltha bone items for 3 years in a row.  The fortress has never seen a draltha.  Each time, my legendary bone crafter has been dragged away from his bone bolt production duties to be chained up in the jail as punishment.  The third time he nearly starved, I had to manually deconstruct the chain because for some reason he refused to eat the dwarf syrup roast sitting in the stockpile next to the chain.

Finally, a small herd of draltha appeared in the cavern.  I broke open the sealed passage to the cavern and sent my military to kill them.  The corpses were hauled up to the butchery and cut apart, resulting in three precious stacks of draltha bone, which were promptly sealed in their own stockpile, set aside for the mayor.

Urist McMayor has a new mandate!  Ok, I'm ready for him this time.  Check the mandates screen:

Urist McMayor has mandated the production of Creeping Eye Leather items (3/3)

Bastard.  Now I know he's just messing with me.

And yet the fortress keeps re-electing him year after year.
I see you've met the long-lost cousin of my last two mayors!
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13056 on: May 04, 2011, 06:56:38 am »

I keep getting Panda people, black bears, wolves and, worst of all, Giant Badgers. Sometimes the Badgers are hilarious though;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It fell four floors in to my moat-under-construction. :D

Edit; it was finished off efficiently.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 07:02:26 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13057 on: May 04, 2011, 08:02:27 am »

i was unaware that you could butcher minotaurs...i'll have to remember that next time i see one

You can't butcher minotaurs in an unmodded game as they are intelligent and can talk.  They're very dangerous in close combat, but pretty easy to kill from range.  My fort's hunter recently one-shotted a visiting minotaur with a crossbow bolt to the brain, but the butcher's wouldn't touch it's corpse.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13058 on: May 04, 2011, 11:33:45 am »

My MCommander just ripped out a Troglodyte's throat. With her teeth. The combat report mentions 9 major arteries opening because she's shaking it around. Damn Mcom, you scary.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13059 on: May 04, 2011, 10:48:52 pm »

The glass windows edging Labouredcontrolled's battlements are almost all in place, and the installation of the portcullis and drawbridge entrances is finalized. Trade is booming again after a few seasons of goblin ambushes butchering merchants, giving me some breathing room on my ever dwindling brass supply. The sunken greenhouses (-1z level) are coming along nicely, but more importantly, I was finally able to start laying down the foundation for the temple of the gods. Last but not least, a breeding population of War Grizzlies has been established, and hopefully soon each of my 6 warrior legends will have a few bears lumbering in their wake. 13 years and rolling on.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13060 on: May 04, 2011, 11:14:48 pm »

My MCommander just ripped out a Troglodyte's throat. With her teeth. The combat report mentions 9 major arteries opening because she's shaking it around. Damn Mcom, you scary.
I see my adventurer retired in your fort.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13061 on: May 04, 2011, 11:15:23 pm »

So apparently my fortress design became a dystopian Empire at some point.

Anything else I can inflict on these Hopeless Productive citizens?

Divide each level in half. Fill one half with magma, then rig your 5-year clock to move the magma from one side to the other. Make your selected dwarfs race the magma to the safety of the stairwell to the next level. Bonus: This will weed out the slow ones too.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13062 on: May 05, 2011, 12:07:36 am »

Currently working on giving each of my 250+ dwarves a 12-room, 2-floor, fully furnished apartment. Man I love Quickfort. Of course, the future royal quarters will have to be drastically expanded, but no matter...

If I'm gonna be a Mountainhome, then I'd better look the part!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13063 on: May 05, 2011, 06:28:48 am »

Wow. A symmetric volcano-mountain, open to one side. This is going to look beautiful (once Stonesense can do full fort-view again...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13064 on: May 05, 2011, 06:47:58 am »

Well, this is interesting. A forgotten beast in the form of a giant hairy snail attacked, my soldiers killed it, but two of them and a dog caught a syndrome, I think it had deadly vapours or something.

The syndrome caused extreme nausea, drowsiness and numbness, which eventually cleared up with much vomiting. It seemed to cause some kind of bleeding too, but that didn't last very long. Now all the affected dwarves' body parts are shown in yellow, apart from ears, nose, throat, cheeks and eyelids which are brown. There's no entry in the description, and they don't need a diagnosis, so I don't think they have any necrosis going on (I certainly hope not, one of them is my best militia captain). But they are listed as having "sensory nerve damage". Does this mean they will feel no pain at all? Or only in the brown-coloured parts?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.
Pages: 1 ... 869 870 [871] 872 873 ... 3842