Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112534 times)

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12810 on: April 22, 2011, 01:20:07 am »

Also, which is better:  A weapon trap moat, or a spike moat?

Is this a trick question?

A Magma moat.

With adamantine ☼spikes☼.

Or better yet, weapon traps with crossbows. (Be sure to keep them loaded.)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Cromage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12811 on: April 22, 2011, 02:00:03 am »

A novice armorsmith made an artifact adamantine buckler! Unfortunately he was possessed, but that's still a sweet buckler.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12812 on: April 22, 2011, 02:54:03 am »

Also, which is better:  A weapon trap moat, or a spike moat?

Is this a trick question?

A Magma moat.
fire imps? Magmaproof FB?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12813 on: April 22, 2011, 02:56:54 am »

Argh, bugged siege. They are standing and doing nothing. (bug 4552)

I'm starting to think that's what they're supposed to do. Seige warfare is about keeping the enemy inside their fortress, deprived of outside supplies or assistance, until everybody starves, goes mad from the isolation, or makes a futile attempt at a counterattack. That's why the best anti-seige weapons can kill the goblins wherever they are on the map.

But even with crossbow civilians attacking them ("futile attempt at a counterattack") siege is standing and getting slowly killed. "deprived of outside supplies or assistance, until everybody starves" is joke in DF. The only problem was lack of wood in my digless fortress, so construction stopped.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12814 on: April 22, 2011, 05:28:57 am »

Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner reference - the reason you play Dwarf Fortress and not another game.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One Badass broad.
« Reply #12815 on: April 22, 2011, 06:35:48 am »

Stuck into the military to replace some fallen soldiers, a late arrival at the fort, Thrun Esprabegu The Fortuitous Mechanism, was an unknown of little skill. She trained like the rest of the recruits and did her job. When three squads of werewolves turned up at the fortress it was assumed she would either live through the battle unremarkably, like the rest of the new blood, or die.

A rookie in battle might earn themselves a couple of kills. Get a few scars, stay alive.  Nothing special. So when she was called to defend the fortress she grabbed a steel sabre, put some miscellaneous armour on and went out to her first battle.

She claimed eleven lives. Her wounds? A torn left arm.

Meanwhile my captan died. Heroically, with a title to his name nd some prestige. But in his several years s Low gore, and multiple battles, he racked up nine kills.

This woman is hardcore.  She has been instantly promoted and I will have the stonemasons begin carving a tomb right this instant, as well as assign her some proper specific armour.
Well done, love.

Special mention to my former, now dead Law Beast. You took a hell of a beating. Seriously, that werewolf was pounding on you for two months! You earned five kills with a shield before passing out from exhaustion. If you hadn't run off, alone, to face and entire pack of Goblins and an entire pack of werewolves, you might have lived longer.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12816 on: April 22, 2011, 06:47:35 am »

Finally dealt with the five or so liaisons who accumulated in our fort over the past few years because the duchess never bothered to meet with them...there are going to be six simultaneous trade agreements.  I'm not sure what this will mean for the caravan next year.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12817 on: April 22, 2011, 06:48:33 am »

Finally dealt with the five or so liaisons who accumulated in our fort over the past few years because the duchess never bothered to meet with them...there are going to be six simultaneous trade agreements.  I'm not sure what this will mean for the caravan next year.

a six-headed merchant with six-headed beasts and six-headed loads.

Or maybe just a siege.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12818 on: April 22, 2011, 07:11:50 am »

a six-headed merchant with six-headed beasts and six-headed loads.

Or maybe just a siege.

Our civilization IS named The Sizzling Merchant and its emblem is a pair of brine haunts, after all.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12819 on: April 22, 2011, 08:23:52 am »

4th artifact crown. Fuck you, guys, we don't even have the queen and her court yet.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12820 on: April 22, 2011, 10:52:13 am »

Another FB spawned in the first cavern again, prompting me to swear at the screen, again.

And again, it was flightless and had no way to get to my fort because of those Tower Caps. lol, three of them now on my ignore list along with that lazy vomit blob that just doesn't want to do anything.

Are you a forgotten beast from before time? Flightless? No way to path to the fortress? Join the club!
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12821 on: April 22, 2011, 11:05:19 am »

Unbelievably, my fortress might survive. We had 3 survivors, locked in two different rooms. Two are resting injuries, the other is in prison. The walls and floors are coated with blood and filled with rotting bodies. The culprits are the two forgotten beasts who teamed up to rip my fortress a new asshole.

But migrants just arrived! And if I move swiftly, they might be able to seal off the fortress entrance, trapping the beasts inside! Then, I'll be able to dig out sections of the earth above the fortress, and crush the beasts to death in cave-ins!

Ya, this will work.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12822 on: April 22, 2011, 12:35:24 pm »

My legendary engraver died, while making fortifications to let the magma enter. Nooo !!!

And I still don't have any decent military. It is composed of one dwarf wearing copper chain leggings who strangle things to death. She's getting quite good at it. It's fun to watch.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12823 on: April 22, 2011, 01:12:34 pm »

Maybe I shouldn't have dug down to the magma sea before I even had my main fortress started. Now I have a ragtag team of fighters defending a pathetic little hole in the ground from troglodytes and giant cave spiders.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12824 on: April 22, 2011, 01:33:37 pm »

One of my legend carpenters married a hauler and started a party at the statue garden outside. The usual 80+ idle dwarves were immediately reduced to 10. Party animals.

The guy left the party early to get drunk, though. I wonder what that's about.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 3842