Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 845 846 [847] 848 849 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112010 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12690 on: April 17, 2011, 12:44:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like the original version, perhaps with a dwarf being launched by a raising bridge.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12691 on: April 17, 2011, 01:09:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like the original version, perhaps with a dwarf being launched by a raising bridge.

It actually related to flee of survivors of a siege when the defenders lose (in world gen).

Flight = fleeing
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cromage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12692 on: April 17, 2011, 01:24:22 pm »

Stupid mayor is deciding that meeting with the outpost liason to request a new supply of wood is less important than harvesting all the crops in the fort... instead of the thirty-something odd idlers.

Put two rows of statues in front of the entrance to encourage the traders to appear right near the drawbridges. The funny thing is? The first two statues just happen to be of the two rival mayors. I wonder what will happen if a goblin siege comes along...

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12693 on: April 17, 2011, 02:33:14 pm »

My security system to prevent cavern creatures running amok in my fortress is a landing on my staircase with 2 weapon traps. It's working very effectively, which, this being Dwarf Fortress, means it is now almost entirely covered in blood.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12694 on: April 17, 2011, 02:35:19 pm »

On year 150, I started on year 125, my fort has crumbled. It took me 52 Z levels to hit my FIRST BLOODY CAVERN and almost immediately as I did that and I got my wells, looms, and smelters running since I ALSO just hit iron in the cavern did I get hit by not one, not two, but five sieges all at once, all mounted on toads/crocs, all with trolls in tow, all with elite axe/mace goblins and 2 Bowman/elite Bowman goblins along with 2 ambushes AND a Forgotten Beast made of... Diorite I think (some kinda stone).  Suffice to say My 40 strong Military in copper/leather armor with silver/copper weapons didn't stand much of a chance once they made it past my traps since they managed to jam every single one as they hit my entrance and then decimate my military.  Granted my military took a sizeable chunk out of them before going down but once they were out of the fight it was a slaughterfest.  R.I.P. Gildedtrades.

On the note of the Cavern... where do I edit the raws so I can make them NOT appear so bloody far down so I can try and access the good stuff earlier? >.>
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #12695 on: April 17, 2011, 02:43:43 pm »

Ouch. Sounds like you had a lot of Fun. :P

Also, just started a new fort, which has access to both a brook and a volcano. I then decided to make a guardian of sorts.

Hopefully, this obscenely large axe lord will scare the shit out of any invaders. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Ilikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12696 on: April 17, 2011, 02:59:11 pm »

stupid hellfire imp, stupid fire is killing my FPS

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12697 on: April 17, 2011, 03:10:46 pm »

On the note of the Cavern... where do I edit the raws so I can make them NOT appear so bloody far down so I can try and access the good stuff earlier? >.>

It's not raws, but worldgen, I think. You can regulate the amount of purely stone-filled z-levels between cavern layers with advanced options.

This, and the higher a cavern's passage density/the lower openness, the 'higher' the cavern is, so it takes up more z-levels - which aren't bound to have much open space in them at all, so a high density, low openness cavern means even more stone.

I gen worlds with 15 levels before the first cavern, 5 levels between caverns, 3 cavern layers, high openness and low density and I meet the magma sea at z-level 70ish. Try it.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Ilikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12698 on: April 17, 2011, 03:53:21 pm »

Tantrum spiral ! 18 dwarves died during the defence of the fortress, that many already died during the spiral XD

Cromage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12699 on: April 17, 2011, 03:54:15 pm »

...Some things are best left to the imagination.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12700 on: April 17, 2011, 05:41:42 pm »

Zuden Shadmal? The Keeper of Confusion? At least, a quick look at the dwarf language raw seems to indicate that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12701 on: April 17, 2011, 05:52:46 pm »

i wanted to see what my fort looked like in adventure mode.
turns out it's easier said than done when your fort is on a three island arcipelagus... twenty two adventurers died of thirst, starvation or Boogeymans.
In the end i finally got an adventurer on the right island. Only problem? at the far edge. well, i'll get to my fort eventually through careful planning...man how i wish i had the Mage class and the teleport...dwarfs and magic...new ways of FUN...should be added.
like the Magic Workshop to create levitating pannels, magical traps, and the like.
already immagining a Pressure lever+ fireball...
obviously near the coal stockpile.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12702 on: April 17, 2011, 06:49:44 pm »

My fortress is soon to fall. FPS death aside. A minotaur has slaughtered all but two children and a cripple. There wasn't a soul in my recruit military could so much as scratch the beast. In a last-ditch effort, I sent in a legion of puppies, who lured him in to a crossbow trap. The very first bolt severed the jugular.

Good doggie!

...want some bones?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12703 on: April 17, 2011, 07:09:53 pm »

I got a huge immigrant wave, among them a very skilled hunter. I had neglected to build a butchery before his first kill, though.

He drops a hoary marmot, and then dragged the carcass back to his room and put it on his bed. I think I'm begining to see why the Mountainhome's deported him despite(or perhaps because of) his skills...

And no, it won't let me butcher it, either.

EDIT: It's a she. My bad. Still plenty of room(perhaps even more) for creepypasta.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:12:55 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12704 on: April 17, 2011, 07:28:50 pm »

It's not raws, but worldgen, I think. You can regulate the amount of purely stone-filled z-levels between cavern layers with advanced options.

This, and the higher a cavern's passage density/the lower openness, the 'higher' the cavern is, so it takes up more z-levels - which aren't bound to have much open space in them at all, so a high density, low openness cavern means even more stone.

I gen worlds with 15 levels before the first cavern, 5 levels between caverns, 3 cavern layers, high openness and low density and I meet the magma sea at z-level 70ish. Try it.

I'll give that a try and see what I end up with.  Mastergilt, STRIKE THE EARTH!

PS:  Wow, I died quickly.  I didn't even start in an evil area... and I started off next to 4 skeletal alligators who chased me into the river filled with skeletal carp.

PPS: Okay, take two... a bit farther from the evil area.  Swallowedgild, STRIKE THE EARTH!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:48:37 pm by MythagoWoods »
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!
Pages: 1 ... 845 846 [847] 848 849 ... 3842