Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111864 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12660 on: April 16, 2011, 12:12:42 pm »

I can't help but feel sad at the thought that eventually, a goblin ambush will probably put an end to his career.

The answer is hundreds of war dogs.  Hunting dogs would likely do too, then give him his own military squad but always keep him inactive and don't give him an archery target.  You can deck him out in all the cyan-ite armor he'll ever need and give him a schedule to protect some inconsequential burrow deep in the heart of your fortress in his inactive alert the last month of every season.

He keeps hunting, he automatically moves into the safety of the fortress when the goblins are due to show up, he's very well protected, and he can keep hunting two thirds of the year.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:15:22 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12661 on: April 16, 2011, 12:29:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
good call

My last fort was abandoned when I realized I couldn't make black dye. My new fort is at war with Elves, and takes place in a huge flat forest (with no caverns below). A nice-sized limestone block wall is built, with a wooden drawbridge on the second floor. It's pretty awesome.

Anyways, the most recent elf ambush was taken out by a single dwarf. All of his gear was purchased, so he is using a bronze sword (inherited from his predecessor) that is expected to become an artifact within another seige or two.

He (all my fighters are male for the sake of babies) leaps off the second-story bridge and proceeds to slaughter elephants, war tigers, and war jaguars. After a while I skim the war record, and find that he's no longer using his sword. Apparently it got stuck in a elvish bowman, and he said "screw it" and decided to punch, kick, and bite his foes for a while. When he slaughtered though, he chased a war tiger and beat it senseless with his shield. I had to manually un-forbid the sword before he would pick it up, at which point he quickly proceeded to slaughter the rest.

Out of curiosity, I checked 'Yolon' for interesting characteristics. Absolutely inexhaustible, unbelievably strong, incredibly tough and extremely agile. He's really slow to heal, but who cares if he never get's hurt? Gold eyes (that's right, freaking gold), stunning feel for spatial relationships, great analytical abilities, great kinesthetic sense, an iron will and very good intuition. He needs to work on focus, but that's not too hard to do. oh, and with a quote over the last section:

"He has a calm demeanor. He is slow to anger. He is comfortable in social situations. He is completely uninterested in ideas and debates over intellectual issues. He is guarded in relationships with others. He strives for excellence. He is occasionally given to procrastination. He often does the first thing that comes to mind. He needs alcohol to get through his working day. he doesn't really care about anything anymore."
- Screw Chuck Norris and all compared to him - Yolon is kick-ass.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12662 on: April 16, 2011, 02:39:49 pm »

Yeah, Yolon is a total bad-ass. I can see him leaning against the wall of the barracks with the hood of his cloak pulled low over his face, chewing on a short stick, muttering cool one-liners to himself in case of goblin seige.

Also he needs a bigass hat. Just to complete the character.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12663 on: April 16, 2011, 03:44:57 pm »

Cotton candy has been discovered, and defenses are being prepared.
6 spartans new recruits are being trained to wield the cotton candy armor/weapons (since all my other bastards would rather use their iron ones which they love...)
elves are also being captured to be my first line of defense.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12664 on: April 16, 2011, 04:33:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After I start making clothes, big hats on the top of the list.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12665 on: April 16, 2011, 07:14:29 pm »

I think I have the best nobles ever. All my duke ever mandates is battleaxes, shields and copper items, while all my mayor wants is bucklers and zinc items.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12666 on: April 16, 2011, 07:16:47 pm »

I think I have the best nobles ever. All my duke ever mandates is battleaxes, shields and copper items, while all my mayor wants is bucklers and zinc items.
Obviously they love babies and want to see more around the fort.

Metal over meat!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12667 on: April 16, 2011, 07:52:34 pm »

My fort was just invaded by the single stupidest Goblin Snatcher ever. He walked into a meeting hall that had no less then 20 dwarves in it. And a dog. And a lion. and a Jaguar.

Somewhat more worrying, he was about the seventh Snatcher in the last minute. If the gobbos send that many snatchers, I hate to see the size of the seiges.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12668 on: April 16, 2011, 08:00:32 pm »

I now know why I can't seem to ever actually start a megaproject - I don't think about what the finished product would look like, so I never know where to start. This time it's different.

Spoiler: The end product (click to show/hide)

Last autumn (I think), I began to build this and almost immediately quit. This time, I'm going to actually finish. It will be made entirely out of steel and clear glass, and will be able to support my entire fortress within it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:02:49 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12669 on: April 16, 2011, 08:14:45 pm »

The wheat has just been separated from the chaff.

A Vile Force Of Darkness Has Arrived - two squads of werewolves.
An ambush! - goblins/barghest
An ambush! - Illithids.

All at once.

Station soldier, sit back and watch the carnage.

The Goblins hit first, and were savaged by my second squad. Halfway through the illithids attacked and my first squad hit them. Halfway through that, the top group of werwolves came down the mountainside and got in on the action. There is a massive fight, can't really figure out what's going on. The second group of werewolves arrives to see the goblins and the illithids slaughtered, the remnants of their first squad being mopped up (including their two elite wrestlers), and runs for it.

I lost six Borioth, most from the first squad who took the brunt of the fighting - they always take the brunt o the fighting.

My High Gore was incredible - he literally waded into the mass with his black steel two handed sword and came out, fourteen pages of combat logs later, with not a single scratch on him. Fourteen pages of him rampaging through illithids, goblins and werewolves with a giant sword.
He now has 14 kills to his name.

You then have Gamo, who seems to have claimed the mass of the goblins kills - now at nine, though her right tusk was smashed open and an arm was fractured.

Kiros the wrestler now has earned a title: the scintillating flames (it might be longer, but it runs off the edge of the page) with seven kills - all with a black steel crossbow (bludgeoning).

Finally Stratha - the hammerman who's been with the fort since about migrant wave two and had yet to actually kill anything. He did the same thing that the High Gore did and waded in with a copper warhammer. Seventeen pages later he was unscathed and with five werewolves to his name and a nice little title. I can't see it because it runs off the screen. The Gilded something or other.  I'm going give him a proper weapon now. He is a total badass.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12670 on: April 16, 2011, 08:39:42 pm »

Well, I decided to end it all. I sent my squad of elite axedwarves into the saferoom, drilled into the circus and broke the plug holding out the aquifer around my main stairwell. I am now watching my !!dwarves!! drown at 12 fps.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12671 on: April 16, 2011, 08:59:34 pm »

I just noticed this amongst my various crafts:

This is a claystone figurine of Timad the Hateful Mole of Slugs.
The item is an image of Timad the Hateful Mole of Slugs, the deity of jealousy, depicted as a female dwarf in claystone by Mūthkat Adassazir. Timad the Hateful Mole of Slugs is screaming.

Being a no-quality item made of claystone, and depicted as it is, it seems so very right.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12672 on: April 16, 2011, 09:05:53 pm »

1. My fort is now 50% children.  In a few years this will correct but until then we're short on people.

2. Everything is so messy and there's so much junk all over the place I don't think anyone has done any real, actual work in around two years.  Other than hauling, that is.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12673 on: April 16, 2011, 09:14:40 pm »

1. My fort is now 50% children.  In a few years this will correct but until then we're short on people.
Well, they are dwarves. ;)

EDIT: Another figurine I've got:

This is a claystone figurine of Enten the Diamond of Chance, the deity of gambling, depcited as a male dwarf by Urdim Ilirushat. Enten the Diamond of Chance is laughing.

Again, this seems right.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 09:20:25 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12674 on: April 16, 2011, 10:13:45 pm »

Well, they are dwarves. ;)

Well played. 

At least it's not like the last time when I took away the "multiple litter rare" tag from them...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 3842