Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111665 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12615 on: April 14, 2011, 08:57:54 pm »

Digging through an aquifer through the freezing method, unfortunately it's 7 levels and counting. Two miners encased in ice already, since they insist on taking stairs and floors out from under themselves.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12616 on: April 15, 2011, 12:32:43 am »

Dwarven Caravan arrived and I bought all their goodies with a 200% profit, clocking at 150k dwarfbucks.

Have savescummed six times on a moody mason. Once he had an engraving of one of my military dorfs striking down a troll, once the artifact had no pictures other than a cross, and for the other four times the resulting artifact depicted some dwarf's flight into "The Tooth of Gravel."

Come to think about it, a lot of the other artifacts also depict random dwarves (though I've confirmed some of the dwarves engraved are members of the fort by checking the moody dwarf's friend list, others I have no clue) and this mysterious Tooth of Gravel place, as well as trolls, troglodytes, ogres and other things laboring to settle in said place. Very strange.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12617 on: April 15, 2011, 02:23:22 am »

your area is probably called the tooths of gravel, id copy your current save, and look into it with legends mode

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12618 on: April 15, 2011, 02:41:32 am »

Contemplating what to do with all the Giant Badgers, Giant Moose, Giant Pandas, Pandamen, Moosemen and alligators that regularly traverse my lands. I'm surrounded by murderers and megafauna.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12619 on: April 15, 2011, 02:53:39 am »

I'm playing Fortress Defense mod with some additions of my own.

I've got a new fortress up and running after my old one died in a war-induced tantrum spiral. I set up a military of ~15 swordsmen, 10 crossbows, and 4-5 spearmen, but I'm pressed so thin for manpower and time that I've resorted to danger-rooming new replacements up to speed as much as possible before the next siege.

I get the notice that tigermen and frogmen have assaulted the western and eastern gates. No problem, these chumps are fodder for my champions of 10+ kills each. I send soldiers to the courtyard above the central square, melee protecting crossbows a good distance ahead, then open both besieged gates. Five or six enemy squads of mixed race all charge in a massive mob but are driven back before the might of my soldiers' arms. I order my swords and spears to chase them out the east gate.

Then, AMBUSH: two squads of goblins and one of giant fiend spiders decloak right next to my soldiers, having sneaked in through the west gate. They hit my melee from behind and paralyze them while my crossbowmen struggle futilely to put a swift end to them. The last squad of mace-wielding frogs enters battle from the east, completing the encirclement of my troops. Between the constant webbing of the spiders, the armor-piercing of the frogs, and the axes of the goblins, my army perishes, and now I've barely managed to retreat the nearest survivors of my archer squad and sealed myself in while trying to train up a new squad of troops from my farmers and mason.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12620 on: April 15, 2011, 05:46:12 am »

your area is probably called the tooths of gravel, id copy your current save, and look into it with legends mode
You don't suppose the "flight into" thing was because my civilian alert was named "Run Away", do you?

They're making records of dwarves' flight into it and creatures settling there from way before the fortress started though. In any case yeah, I'll look into that sometime. I'd visit it in adventure mode, but I'm not too familiar with that yet.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

nucleus222

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12621 on: April 15, 2011, 06:09:35 am »

Started a new fort on a volcano, and dug out a some tunnels to start my metal industry up. I used my miner to carve a fortification to release the magma and he died. so Had 6 Dwarves and no picks FUN. managed to make another one with the 4 bits of hematite he managed to find before he died so im back up and mining but was looking like a long wait for a caravan

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12622 on: April 15, 2011, 07:10:58 am »

Had to reclaim my fortress after a forgotten beast made three of my dwarves rot alive wich caused a tantrum spiral. Such a shame I was about to get my crundles to hatch 30 younglings.

Reclaimed and running everything on 200 fps so the mind numbeningly boring proces of dwarves grabbing every reclaimed item strewn around and bringing it back to the stockpile doesn't take to long.

On the bright side some exciting things were happening to, as I caught another herd of elk bird and have again begun breeding. Saw some rutherers for the first time, sadly not at the right place to capture them. They seem interesting with a value multiplier of 3. Still I'd prefer to catch some draltha.

I never quite realized I made so much cave spider silk cloth. Oh well can't let it just lie around.

Also a giant olm came by and I had my hammerdwarf smash it with his silver hammer, joy. :)

Lastly two flesh balls came along. First time seeing one of these as well. I promptly read the wiki to know what I'm up against. Sounds like I'm going to make an improved version of the danger room, but then with flesh ball target dummies :D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:16:36 am by Jelle »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12623 on: April 15, 2011, 07:19:58 am »

While reclaiming my old fort, Oilsplatters, I caught a bugbat!
What should I do with it?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12624 on: April 15, 2011, 07:32:52 am »

Make it into a pet, bugbats are cute.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12625 on: April 15, 2011, 07:38:26 am »

That's what I hate about reclaiming. My dwarves are so busy hauling random stuff, they forget to haul the important stuff. Some of them are starving, but they wouldn't think of hauling the food from the butchershop to an empty barrel before it rots instead of hauling a piece of cave spider silk cloth.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12626 on: April 15, 2011, 08:36:59 am »

Playing with my modded in race: the Borioth. All is going fairly well.
Minor lulz - my expedition leader created an artefact iron barrel. Thanks, guy! We didn't need those iron bars...
Just struck the first cavern layer at 7 Zlevels down. I was going to build my dungeon there!

I had a goblin ambush. Stationed my military at the fort entrance, pulled everyone inside. One plucky wrestler lass wasn't missing out on the action though - oh no. She runs out over the weapon trapped walkway entrance, attacks a burghast and immediately dodges off the edge. Amazingly she survived the fall - granted it wasn't, and still isn't, an amazing feat - it was only 5 or so z levels. But still, she's back training with the military again. An ezrakim caravan saw off the Goblins, who were busy chasing the local wildlife around...

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12627 on: April 15, 2011, 09:04:49 am »

Upon careful reexamination I just rediscovered I had two FBs in the first cavern, where my weavers have been collecting webs and my woodcutters have been chopping wood for bolts with no distractions for years.

One is a blob composed of vomit with wings and is lying motionless at the bottom of a pool right in front of then entrance, its wings are both fractured and smashed open and the body torn open from a ballista bolt I fired at it a long time ago (there were four other beasts then so I simply forgot about it). The second is a towering humanoid that, for all I remember, was in the second cavern but it turns out he was in the first cavern the whole time! And if it weren't for the third FB, a bushtit, which spawned right beside him I wouldn't have noticed! Apparently he got stuck because of Tower Caps and Fungiwood blocking all possible paths to the fortress.

Strange, the bushtit can fly (and it has a path) but it isn't moving toward the entrance at all.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12628 on: April 15, 2011, 09:05:38 am »

yeah, the AI is like that.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12629 on: April 15, 2011, 11:11:01 am »

I had a kitty pwn a Lost Adventurer (genesis mod undead creature thingie...)! Proof:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was pleased  8)

//A, switching forts
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 3842