Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111860 times)

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12540 on: April 12, 2011, 09:54:27 am »

So, to test my new Dragonkin race I made a new world and browsed for a location. I see two rivers intersecting, think "Ooh, waterfall" and check the mineral content. Shallow metals and deep metal. Well, I embark.
The wagon is in this valley 22 z-levels below everything else on the map, twenty urists long. It turns out that that valley is actually the river, with absolutely no dry land for 22 z-levels and no natural way to get up there in the first place.
In a panic, I dig out a shelf and dump my crap in there. I have now dug out a nice fortress, with a bridge leading across the river to a staircase leading up to ground level. I have plenty of galena and another mineral I don't remember off the top of my head. This embark is awesome.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12541 on: April 12, 2011, 10:03:37 am »

Cloudhatchet (aboveground tundra fort, capped pop 89, various animal/plant additions) is in its eighth year, two migrant kids grew up into peasants and were sent down to the magma forges to apprentice as weaponsmiths. Construction has finally finished on the Cloudhatchet Colossus, an 18 floor statue straddling the main entrance. We're very mineral-poor so the main building materials are chalk, gabbro and green glass. The clothes are starting to rot off the dwarves now so I'm trying to figure out a workable "civilian uniform", probably using all the leather goblin armor we've got stored. I kinda like the idea of everyone being in leather armor and metal boots and carrying a sword.

We've got so much food and booze now (2000 urists of drink, for an 80 pop fort!) that I've just turned the farms over entirely to producing cloth and dyes, except for the small aboveground snowberry patch, but snowberries are all I can grow aboveground anyway and they only grow in winter. Our main industry is in repurposed goblin clothing.

aaand the humans just arrived. I hope they bring something better than the elves did, they only showed up with wood crafts this year.

My longest running fort ever was only 10 years back in 40d, so I'm kind of hopeful that Cloudhatchet will beat it. I need a new megaproject right now though to avoid boredom - maybe some sort of giant clear glass/iron aviary for our captured roc? Ideas welcome.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12542 on: April 12, 2011, 10:20:08 am »

Tundra, huh. Well, build something out of ice if you can! Not sure what, though. Maybe a giant coliseum? Pit goblins in the middle, make the floor out of retracting bridges, roof it over and... eh, I guess water will freeze under the roof, that's a shame. The original coliseum could be filled with water...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12543 on: April 12, 2011, 10:24:03 am »

No ice in my tundra sadly, it's just dry soil... unless I pump some up from the caverns I suppose, but cavern 3 is the only one I have open and I didn't want to crack the other two for FPS reasons.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12544 on: April 12, 2011, 10:27:07 am »

Then you'll have to build a second pumpstack, I guess.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12545 on: April 12, 2011, 10:49:53 am »

FML.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12546 on: April 12, 2011, 10:56:13 am »

pumping magma onto the burning field to fend off goblins.
woop-de-doo.
phase 1: kill-all-goblins, completed.
phase 2: evacuate dwarves: initiated
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12547 on: April 12, 2011, 11:42:31 am »

thought I'd make a dwarf of black-robed samurai. Black dye only comes from evil regions, so that is where I embarked.

Skeletal yaks killed half of my group, and then a dwarf went insane and killed the rest. My herbalist was the first to die too, so no black die for me. The embark spot is so awesome though (it has elephants, in an evil region, while my civ was at war with the goblins), I'm going to reembark.

Edit 1: the second fort fared better... but only temporarily. Then a full group of skeletal yaks spawned right next to my farm. We died VERY quickly after that.

Edit 2: the second fort did even better. The male fighters died instantly, but the females got a lot of work done for several months before being slaughtered.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:13:30 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: April 12, 2011, 12:01:49 pm »

A gigantic one eyed stonefly unexpectedly came along.
Prepare for battle, you dumb FB.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12549 on: April 12, 2011, 12:32:49 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One year later...

An animal has grown to become a Stray Goose.
An animal has grown to become a Stray Gander.

urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12550 on: April 12, 2011, 01:06:29 pm »

One year later...

Time to make goose mcnuggets.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12551 on: April 12, 2011, 01:10:01 pm »

I got a plump helmet man caged.
Now to tame it (WITH RAW EDITING MAGIC) and butcher it.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12552 on: April 12, 2011, 01:13:59 pm »

A rather overkill method to get some plump helmets.

...wait. Can't you just release it, kill it with anything, and butcher the corpse?

...ah, you're a dwarf. Right.

Cook it on magma. Why are there no magma kitchens yet?
A Kea has stolen a coke!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12553 on: April 12, 2011, 01:21:55 pm »

Delicious plump helmet man plump helmet man tissue chops [11]..

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12554 on: April 12, 2011, 01:41:49 pm »

I just tried out a land mine for the first time.  I was always skeptical because I figured it wouldn't hurt anything not directly under the block.  But this fortress had nothing better to build.

So after one siege fails to set them off (seems the size default for pressure plates requires something way heavier than a goblin to set it off.) I built it properly and another siege came.

A crossbowman steps on the first plate and the lead block falls, creating a pretty cloud of black sand but doesn't actually harm anything.  And I write off land mines to be just as useless as I originally thought, so I continue with the siege as normal.  But theres still another land mine set up.  And it gets triggered by another squad coming from the other side.  I notice it only from the cavein sound from soundsense.

This one is far far far more effective.  A huge boom, the first one only made a cloud 2 tiles big.  This one, despite being identical in every meaningful way makes a massive mushroom cloud of sand 5 tiles tall and 20 tiles wide.  And the carnage...oh the carnage.  Greenskins are flying everywhere and the combat log is getting spammed with messages of shattering bones and invaders getting caught in bursts of boiling magma(!), orc limbs are flying everywhere out of the cloud and while slowly watching the carnage tick by tick I even see orcs flying through the air multiple z-levels above the ground.

Immediately after the few members of the squad not crippled, dead, unconscious or swimming in the adjacent river, start marching back to the map edge.   I think I'm in love.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 3842