Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 832 833 [834] 835 836 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112143 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12495 on: April 10, 2011, 04:57:19 pm »

where mining is prohibited
How you managed to find magma without mining? Volcano?
Yep.

I was going to ask how long it took to import all that stone :D
Stone is actually one of the fortress's scarcest, most in-demand resources, needed for mechanisms.  Most of the dwarven caravans have nothing but stone, metal bars, wood, some drinks and a couple bin of rhino leather because my trade agreements ask for so much stone that there's no room for anything else.  For simple walls and floors, however, Mudpost's unlimited supply of stoneware blocks is sufficient.  :D

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12496 on: April 10, 2011, 05:10:39 pm »

Oh look, the glitch with bone artifacts seems to be fixed. I just got a gold-studded yak bone bed!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12497 on: April 10, 2011, 05:44:13 pm »

Yep.

I was going to ask how long it took to import all that stone :D
Stone is actually one of the fortress's scarcest, most in-demand resources, needed for mechanisms.  Most of the dwarven caravans have nothing but stone, metal bars, wood, some drinks and a couple bin of rhino leather because my trade agreements ask for so much stone that there's no room for anything else.  For simple walls and floors, however, Mudpost's unlimited supply of stoneware blocks is sufficient.  :D

Aaaaah, stoneware! Clever trick, that.

Hmmm... no-stone fortress could be an interesting challenge. I'll make a note of it.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12498 on: April 10, 2011, 05:50:35 pm »

Hunters keep getting killed by their preys. But not badgers, though, surprisingly enough. They're still pussies who can only kill dorfs by forcing them to jump in the river and drown/freeze to the bone. Therefore, they can only be planning something terrifying.
Same for sieges. Haven't even gotten thieves in a while.
On the bright side, that means I can finish linking up all these grates to my lever in time for the next attack!  Depressingly enough, I might get a baron, or even the queen herself, before I endure a single siege.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12499 on: April 10, 2011, 06:20:38 pm »

My philosophy is that a dwarf incapable of defending their fortress has no business leading it. In that respect, my mayor is the sole military member of Letterchanted. She's decked out in full steel, with a steel battle axe, and she's becoming quite the badass. She just slaughtered a troll, cutting three different chunks of him off, and killing him with less than 2 plages of combat logs. She didn't get a single bruise. She's also killed eleven troglodytes and is working on executing the caged goblins.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12500 on: April 10, 2011, 06:40:15 pm »

Can someone link me to the wiki page for managing this whole new animal system?

I'd like to get a 'farm' going, but I'm not sure what to search for on the wiki.

Thanks!

mikehartlane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12501 on: April 10, 2011, 06:49:20 pm »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12502 on: April 10, 2011, 06:51:01 pm »

I just found a tooth on the deck of my airship above my fortress.  Checking the unit list it belongs to a recently deceased goblin.

That was one hell of a punch.   I mean wow, I don't think an arrow can fly that far and that high.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 06:52:51 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12503 on: April 10, 2011, 07:07:48 pm »

lol, i just had to savescum...got a siege, EVERY F*CKING GOBLIN WAS MOUNTED!

rutherer's jabberer's cave crawler's, cave swallows...stupid douchebags...gonna put a bunch of iron serrated discs in my entranceway and just make it so that my guys stay underground. a row of 5 or 6 iron serrated discs should handle them all...

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12504 on: April 10, 2011, 07:42:37 pm »

My Goblin execution method consisted of locking the goblin in a room with my mayor/axedwarf. It was going splendidly, if a little slow paced. I got a little cocky and put two at once in. One got an insanely lucky stab in and now my mayor is dead. I liked her.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12505 on: April 10, 2011, 07:53:44 pm »

I modded badgers to be tameable and trainable into war animals, then gave all 32 of my war badgers to 1 speardwarf.

Cue badgersplosion. The poor dwarf can't even MOVE because of the pages upon pages of badgers following it.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12506 on: April 10, 2011, 08:05:07 pm »

Oddly enough giant badgers seem to only be of moderate danger to hunt - a decent ambusher typically starts attacking them from a range where rage is unlikely so typically the badger just bleeds out or gets shot in a vital. Hunters stay out of melee so they are safer than sending marksdwarves, I wish such behavior could be turned on for soldiers - to only engage in ranged and flee when ammunition ends.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12507 on: April 10, 2011, 08:11:28 pm »

Just had the biggest, nastiest siege yet. Normally I sit behind my fortifications, shooting at the goblins, but they had an elite crossbowman with them. He was picking off my guys, and managed to kill one of them before I reacted and sent out the axedwarves. Being legendary and clad in full steel, they mopped up the whole siege handily. I'm sure more of my marksdwarves would have died if their bronze armor had not lessened their injuries. At the very least, the dead marksdwarf was one of the lower-skilled ones.

Oh, and the elven caravan got chopped to bits by the goblins. Better them than me.

I dug out a bunch of clay underneath the ground level, now I have a bunch of safe pasture space for my livestock. The donkeys seem to eat way more than they should; I checked the raws, and their grazer tag is about 200 I think, vs. over a thousand for goats. Seems like a large disparity, not sure if it's something that needs tweaking or should be that way.

***EDIT:  A while back, one of my metalsmiths was stabbed and grievously injured for violating a production order. He lived, but he was never the same. I took care to remove all weapons from my fortress guard so that nothing like that would happen again.

He was unfortunate enough to recently be the target of another beating. This time, however, he was killed when the guard punched him in the head and broke his skull. Poor guy.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:18:12 pm by Shogger »

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12508 on: April 10, 2011, 08:23:08 pm »

oh yeah, something i forgot that made me laugh quite a bit...

one of my dwarves dodged into one of the lakes, and the cave crawler riding gobling followed the guy into the water, all 3 of them drowned >.>

....f*ck

my first forgotten beast here...and its made out of white opal -.-;;
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:43:23 pm by Renzuko »

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12509 on: April 10, 2011, 10:04:34 pm »

I have a fort going where I'm going without a military and keeping it at 50 dwarves through force. I was trying to kull 20 migrants in a room with an iron spear upright trap, but this one dwarf refuses to die. He's outlasted all the other dwarves and then went on for another 5 seconds, just taking the blows. I opened the door because I thought he was just a legend. He's healed now and has about 8 lines of scars, and just survived another 10 seconds in the room. I'm going to see how much this guy can take.
Pages: 1 ... 832 833 [834] 835 836 ... 3842