Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112423 times)

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12420 on: April 09, 2011, 07:49:45 am »

Fighting off a pair of FBs while playing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p53oxXRIIj0&feature=related. So epic.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Harry959

• Bay Watcher
  • Anti-Flanking Bomber Goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12421 on: April 09, 2011, 07:52:12 am »

I just started the circle of life. My hunters shoot deer with bone bolts. My Legendary Bone Craftsdwarf eats the deer and then makes bolts from the bone. The hunters take the bolts and go hunting. Repeat.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12422 on: April 09, 2011, 08:10:33 am »

I just got an artifact hatch cover by a fey mood mason.
Yaaaay.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12423 on: April 09, 2011, 08:13:34 am »

Yaaaay.
I got an artifact crutch... But at least now he's a legendary carpenter!
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12424 on: April 09, 2011, 08:15:33 am »

Started a fort with lower mineral density than my usual max minerals, gimme all the goodies... the elves came, in the spring of the 2nd year.. and brought with them a caged tame Giant Elephant, courtesy of the Flora n Fauna mod. Since it was still an elephant, I bought it and slaughtered it. The yield is enormous. over 1.3k bones, 300 + lungs portions, 78 heart portions,468 intestines,156 livers,156 tripe,78 sweetbreads,78 spleen,156 kidney,156 brain,over 5k of meat and more than 1.5k of fat for tallow... The fortress will be eating this one for a long long time. And making ridiculous numbers of bolts from the bones. If the bone carver will ever finish that task..
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12425 on: April 09, 2011, 08:28:53 am »

Yaaaay.
I got an artifact crutch... But at least now he's a legendary carpenter!
that's actually good, it means that if you get a dude who breaks a leg, they will admire the artifact crutch.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12426 on: April 09, 2011, 08:31:56 am »

Yaaaay.
Put it on top of well-frequented stairs or ramp. Enjoy the burst of happiness.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12427 on: April 09, 2011, 08:39:34 am »

I put it on the dining room staircase.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12428 on: April 09, 2011, 09:30:51 am »

First siege barely deflected. 15 goblin/burghast/mistress etc and a cave croc.

My half-complete hallway of cage traps and stone falls caught a lot of them. Then they wouldn't advance so I had to lower both bridges to lure them in.
Large fights, someone started throwing fire around, everything burned including the prisoners. military hurriedly drafted.
survived with three people. And then, right on time, immigrants. Back to twenty one.

Kraftwerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12429 on: April 09, 2011, 09:58:37 am »

I've been under constant attack, because my dwarves refuse to build walls to close off the cave. They keep canceling. So far the attacks have been:
1 trogolodyte, and 3 elk birds
3 Crundles
A troll named Spellbasement, which my militia commander made short work of with her silver battleaxe
A giant mole named Plaited Pearls who met the same fate as Spellbasement
3 wolves

What's sad, is that half of these kills are from one dwarf. It's been my first game where I've survived more than a year, the fortress is in it's second summer, and about a third of my dwarves are ecstatic, another third happy, and the last third content. WIth the exception of one unhappy one, but she got both her arms torn off by wolves, so I would be unhappy too.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12430 on: April 09, 2011, 11:53:19 am »

Hooo boy.

Newest fortress: Ringcity.

Plan for it: Build a cylindrical tower, 96 tiles in diameter and 20 z-levels high, with a 4-tile wide outer wall around it that has a diameter of 144 tiles.

This is what's known as a megaproject, isn't it?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:57:00 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12431 on: April 09, 2011, 12:01:55 pm »

Ye that could count as a megaproject. I really should finish my own.

Also, hematite everywhere! The dacite layer I'm building in is full of the stuff.

I need a migrant sorting device of some sort however. I want to keep the fortress tight besides these 14, some high-value individuals including families, and whatever children are born here. The rest will have to die or be locked away in some pit for eternity with no contact and nothing but a little food and water to keep them going.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12432 on: April 09, 2011, 12:57:34 pm »

Military of 10 completely wiped out by a SINGLE lasher... god damn you sucky military crap shoot aint worth shit.

Guess im gonna have to start specializing in traps.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12433 on: April 09, 2011, 01:41:36 pm »

I got a throne that took 170 forgotten beast bones to make - it's worth 50,000 and has my fortresses founding decorated on it. I find it simply cool due to the novelty -I imagine it to be a huge towering throne made out of varying sized bones with the picture on the back of it.

pavel1269

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12434 on: April 09, 2011, 01:56:27 pm »

Little story from my first fortress, who experienced fun.

Till this moment, all I met was two minotaurs and few thieves who got nothing.

All I was doing was just basically a wealth. Around pop 60 ambush hit. I had exactly 0 military and only a few weapons. I made recruit from everyone and rushed all those goblins. Only one of my got killed, and as a civilian who discovered the ambush. One group of 6 bowman got killed 5 of them and from the group of 6 axe goblins, I killed 2. Kind of a good result from my peaceful fort eh?

So I started to gather everything on the ground and another !!!FUN!!! (bronze colossus) come. This time, I closed up, setup 2 (I used 100% of my crossbows :P ) mark dwarfs to shoot at it. The masterpiece bolts where damaging it, but hey, its a bronze colossus. All he was doing was trying to catch one of my cats who got trapped outside of my fort. Luckily the cats are faster than colossus thus he was just chasing them.

Another piece of fun came. The running cat met ambush of goblins. This time cat died, but the cat's cover fought them back. For the 8 goblins with maces it was a damn long fight. But as first goblin died, the rest was funny. Like the colossus got angry and last 3 killed with one punch to the head.

As he finished those group, he met another group of ambushers. This time it was fast for those. So I acknowledged, that goblins wont solve my problems and I recruited most of my dwarfs again. This time not all of them, because I was thinking only about loosing. Before my attack, I forget like 15 of silver war hammers and I attacked.

First dwarf was thrown away killed on landing. The others surrounded colossus, taking heavy hits and doing a little to none damage to him. Luck was on my side, and colossus rolled from one hit to the nearby lake. I removed everyone from the military except two mark dwarfs, who had station near the lake, thus they were shooting at him, slowly making him more and more red. He took in total 4 dwarfs with him.

At the time, colossus had everything red and a few pieces of face off, another !!!FUN!!! come. What it was will be shown on image lower, because, even more luck landed on my side. Everyone was set to alert (burrow in dining room) and as IT was near my gate, I closed. Unfortunately, there was a dwarf, who had injury (blinking with the red cross) and was unable to get into the fort in time thus was stuck in 1vs1 with IT.

The end of this FUN is here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Few moments after this, my mark dwarfs finally broke the colossus, to end pain in my fortress. That's my little story :)
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 3842