Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112522 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12405 on: April 08, 2011, 08:35:46 pm »

It's the Bloody Picks' second year at Uristkogan.

The dwarven civ is dead in this world; I've never been so pathetically grateful for potash makers and fish dissectors; been trying to carve out a rudimentary fort with only 14.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12406 on: April 08, 2011, 10:07:44 pm »

Scratch ALL of that. My civ isn't actually dead. The traders just came.

And it didn't end well; The bastard wanted something more than a 80* profit margin for a caged animal, 1 steel bar, and I think I asked for a couple empty barrels. He became unwilling to trade and left, but before he could I had the depot yanked from under him. I got the animal but one of the bastards got away with the bar. Nobody has refused such a high profit margin before! What the hell does he think, that we have something more to offer?

Also, the gem crab population in the magma sea apparently isn't immune to the magma they're submerged in, and are burning to death by the dozen. I thought I'd fixed that issue...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:36:55 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12407 on: April 08, 2011, 11:24:02 pm »

Ohh boy.

Blazewater! Part joyous wilds with a volcano, part untamed wilds tropical ocean. Salt water and an aquifer... but then again, magma. BWAHAHAHAHA!

I just hope there aren't any badgers.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:25:39 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12408 on: April 08, 2011, 11:27:28 pm »

Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger MAGMA MAGMA
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12409 on: April 09, 2011, 12:30:25 am »

I just cracked open my caverns and slaughtered like five forgotten beasts in a row, with the loss of only one marksdwarf. That was fun. I'd been saving them up for, oh, a decade or so.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12410 on: April 09, 2011, 01:17:16 am »

So... many... job cancellations...

Dear god I hate aquifers. Might just let the volcano take care of it...

Edit: But I am finally - FINALLY! - done. On the 16th of Limestone, in 1001, Blazewater breaches its aquifer. W00t!

I'm going to go gather plants now before my dwarves get cranky from the lack of booze.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 01:38:57 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12411 on: April 09, 2011, 02:22:21 am »

Planning on making the (almost) most overkill trap in dwarven history: through long training for my mechanics and metalsmiths, I shall make a trap with nothing but masterful large, serrated adamantine discs in it, powered by a masterful mechanism.

The only way to make it more overkill is to fill it with artifacts.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12412 on: April 09, 2011, 02:33:38 am »

Elves came with two bears.
I trained the grizzly one.
Now I probably need to get his new owner, a hammerdwarf, a silver hammer.
He'll probably be terrifying on the offensive side.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12413 on: April 09, 2011, 02:51:41 am »

Uuuugh. I knew the aquifer from the other biome would bite me in the ass. More pumping, yaaaay! >.>

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12414 on: April 09, 2011, 03:02:25 am »

Another goblin siege. My casualties: one macedwarf lost his hand, one dog was mangled, one other soldier was hospitalized. The dog will go see a butcher and both dwarves will stay in the military. The macedwarf can't hold a shield anymore, but I dont care.

The goblins lost 8 troops to my soldiers and 9 to my cage traps. Also got one cave crocodile.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12415 on: April 09, 2011, 03:10:55 am »

I got an artifact.
To be specific, a giant olm bone door.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12416 on: April 09, 2011, 05:26:32 am »

blarg, i decided to force quit df, after my attempt at making a pump stack met with about 10 dwarves being retarded and refusing to realise, that in the opposite direction of the slowly advancing 7/7 wall of water, was the pumpy pump stack tower, that could get them back into the fort...

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12417 on: April 09, 2011, 05:38:12 am »

Mindflag the Eye of Focus was founded in 6.
It's 10, I found shiny metal, and still no siege. Only a few ambushes and a bunch of thieves.
Almost sure goblins and badgers are plotting together to bring me down.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12418 on: April 09, 2011, 07:34:03 am »

Okay, managed to do a large-scale cavein and breach past the aquifer. Now... Is it possible to safely dig in the z-level below an aquifer? Because I don't want to abandon all of that hematite...

Are you using dfreveal to determine where the damp stone is?

Yeah, after I took care of the third level of aquifer and found more damp soil below it, I opened reveal to see how deep it went.

You've probably noticed, then, that the damp stretches to one z below the aquiferous soil or stone. Unfortunately, these tiles will spew water from above if dug into, so if your hematite is on that z level, I'm afraid you're out of luck. If, on the other hand, the hematite doesn't appear damp when viewed with dfreveal, then you can safely dig it out.

Of course, there are other options. You could make extracting the hematite into a sort of mega-project, establishing a giant machine on the surface for the sole purpose of boring into the waterlogged earth.

That's what I figured, but it never hurts to be sure. I've got fairly rich deposits of the iron ores though, so I probably won't bother unless I really start running out. Thanks!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12419 on: April 09, 2011, 07:34:35 am »

two of my dwarfs are sparring: my chief medical dwarf and a recruit...
here's the log in question which made me ponder how the hell he is not legendary:
"Urist mc recruit grabs the chief medical dwarf by it's rear right end tooth!"
"urist mc chiefmedical dwarf can't escape the grip!"
i mean, i'm reading it right, right? he grabbed him by the REAR tooth? right?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 3842