Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 808 809 [810] 811 812 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969381 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12135 on: April 02, 2011, 09:44:20 pm »

ETA: After about two months or so of nothing but melee combat, Getakshibbi, "Utteredblossoms", the Cave Swallow Man Spearman struck down Sedme "the Squid of Dreams" at Craftgates.

ÂSAX IS REBORN

ALL BOW BEFORE IT'S AWESOMENESS

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12136 on: April 02, 2011, 09:59:04 pm »

Proxian: Wait, "donkey has given birth to a donkey foal"? How did that happen?
Friend: Well, when a mommy donkey and a daddy donkey love each other very much...
Proxian: But I don't have any daddy donkeys!
Friend: Uh... divine intervention?

A daddy donkey showed up with the caravan, and gave the mommy donkey a free sample.

In other news, I now have an artifact adamantine short sword.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12137 on: April 02, 2011, 10:04:10 pm »

Did you make it yourself, or is it a souvenier (sp?) from the circus?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12138 on: April 02, 2011, 10:15:19 pm »

Artifact.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rozen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12139 on: April 02, 2011, 11:15:54 pm »

Traders, bezerk craftsdwarf, lazy broker, goblin siege AND a 15 dwarf migration wave... all at the same time. I let the elf traders out, but the goblins ignored them. That was disappointing. There is still one dwarf out there running in circles for his life.

Flaming Monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12140 on: April 02, 2011, 11:55:39 pm »

Been trying to dig though an aquifer and make it a entrance of adequate size.  Lost 3 miners to being encased in ice, and now migrants are ignoring my colony of 10 dwarves.

Currently trying to build an above ground shelter/keep.  Our only military is a single Professional Marksdwarf.  I really need migrants.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12141 on: April 03, 2011, 12:06:04 am »

Wow. Year 142 was... Awesomely terrible. :D  This is gonna be a rambly post, sorry... But I think it's worth it. :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Okay, that was very rambly and poorly-worded. Maybe I'll just bung it all in a spoiler, for you guys to read if you want.
I think, whatever happens to this awesome-yet-unlucky fort, I'll have to make a thread and compile its history later. :P

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #12142 on: April 03, 2011, 12:42:18 am »

In Largebusts, I accidentally atom smashed several dwarves (no one had any reaction to that) blew off yet another goblin ambush (stupid sods won't give up) and one of the fortress cats has apparently gained dabbling social skills and become more agile.

ETA: One of my Legendary Wrestlers knocked a Rhesus Macaque into next week. It flew thrity-five spaces and soared over a pond and finally landed. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:53:54 am by Nyxalinth »
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12143 on: April 03, 2011, 01:41:10 am »

This was fun. My 14 year old son asked to play Dwarf Fortress today.

So I got him set up: created a world, found him a decent embark site. Too swampy for my taste, but plenty of trees and it's pretty flat so he can build walls around. So far we've got supplies underground and are setting up workshops, got the farmer growing plump helmets. His first taste of FUN arrived with a badger sow who attacked his fisherman across the stream. The fisherman managed to dodge right into the water and drown before my son noticed fighting was going on and we zoomed to the site.  "I guess dwarves are really bad at swimming." he says.

It looks like we picked a good location, there's kaolinite four layers down under the ample soil layers. And coal!  He's already got his jeweler's workshop set up, cutting pink jade for the trade caravan. We're discussing strategies for trading now.

I'm enjoying sharing this experience with him. At his age we don't share so much anymore. Though it sounds really bizarre to be having a mother-son bonding experience over Dwarf Fortress. Does this mean I'm a bad parent?  ;D
this is good!
just as planned
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

B4brilliant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12144 on: April 03, 2011, 02:01:51 am »

Well Blerg. My All-cavern, all the time fort was going swimmingly. I tapped into magma and started a glass industry, defeated a giant one-eyed quail with only 1 casualty, walled off about half the cavern with a perimeter fence (up to 5 Z-levels high) and had just finally gotten some anvils from the caravan after 3 years. So I could finally start metal production. Population was 54 and I had escaped two very close brushes with tantrums.

And the game crashed.
It was right after I loaded a save. I tried a couple times. It kept crashing after 30 seconds or so. Weak. That fort had been my biggest triumph. From 7 unskilled axedwarves with no supplies scratching out a meager living amongst the zombies; To a thriving underground bastion of dwarven might and sock exportation. Sad day. Maybe I'll abandon and reclaim.

purpl monstr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12145 on: April 03, 2011, 03:26:23 am »

Urist McPurplMonstr cancels craft artifact fort: Magma won't cooperate

Urist McPurplMonstr has gone Berserk!

looks like i'll have to cast the obsidian, then drop it, rather than dumping rings of lava into the ocean. the third attempt shall be even bigger!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12146 on: April 03, 2011, 04:08:25 am »

Raw duplication spawned a FB with no warning.

It was a hairy mite, and a spearman killed it by stabbing it in the head.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 04:10:58 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12147 on: April 03, 2011, 05:17:16 am »

Welll.... lets see. That cave croc move up to the entrance of my fort and occupied a nest box there for a while. Eventually it died when a miner whacked it in the face.

Then a dread ogre came into the fort and started hanging around the sleeping quarters. My sole military man with a battle axe was training, I didn't think he was up to the task, but this thing was wailing on everything around it, and so I threw the boy forward. He mauled the damn thing.  Sometime later he died but I have no idea how.

I'm down to 6 guys now and no migrants arrived in the spring.  My butcher is having fun butchering all the corpses that come his way, my cavern outpost is coming along although now i have no builders it's on dangerous hold, but I at least have it planned out. One must hope that nothing big comes up those slopes (touch wood).

Oh and I completed the drop-pit for the merchants. half of them had already left when I starte to expand on the hole, leaving two or three stranded at the depot while my miners dug a nice 6Z level hole. Only six? Yes. I like to see the things that fall down that hole suffer and make vague attempts to crawl back up to the surface.  Either way after a month or so the merchant went insane and threw himself over the edge into the abyss. He didn't die. He stayed there with a broken leg and a shattered skull while the other things that went off the edge suffocated or bled out. I think he eventually got up and dragged himself off.

durbu

• Bay Watcher
  • Halt! Hammerzeit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12148 on: April 03, 2011, 05:21:03 am »

I'm planning to build a huge upside down pyramid pharaoh style with burial chambers and all as a tomb for my king. It will be built of gold or limestone blocks and hang from the roof of the 3rd cavern, though first I'll need to widen up the cavern for that. The entrance will probably be through the base.

If all goes well I'll probably make satellite pyramids for the other nobles as well.
"One of the seven just drowned while cleaning saltwater from the seabed."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12149 on: April 03, 2011, 05:28:17 am »

Extinguishing fires.
Not going well.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 808 809 [810] 811 812 ... 3839