Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5958657 times)

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2009, 04:06:36 pm »

I'm celebrating the fact that my obsidian farm finally works properly. Have just gotten my 3rd batch of obsidian out of it. My only complaint now is that I don't have anything to do with it. My main industries right now are equipping my military and preparing for the next siege, and decorating/melting the junk left by the last gobbo siege, with a certain amount of glassbashing as well. I don't have a helluva lot to do with rock. My nobles are all satisfied, another thing to celebrate; this is my first time with Baron and economy. Basically, I'm happy because I've got a meaningful fortress, one that's weathered 2, maybe 3, sieges, lots of ambushes, and has some actual industry.

In terms of actual activity, I'm turning that metric assload of stone I have into the Great Wall of Stilliron, across the map and centered on my little fortress. Anybody who wants to cross the map, for whatever reason, will have to go through my traps and tolls.

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2009, 07:17:07 pm »

I'm playing the Dwarf Heaven map. I'm thinking of ways to off nobles and waiting for a proper siege.

goron72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2009, 08:56:14 pm »

I'm clear cutting the world. All of my haulers trying to keep up with two legendary woodcutters, nothing else is getting done with that and my sad face death pit I'm fully walling for a colored smily. The elves better be extremely pissed off with 2206 logs and me magma'ing their caravans. Bring more elves to kill! Muahaha!!! And now some migrants, will they push me over 80 dwarves? No, only 9 came.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2009, 09:08:39 pm »

Our population has reached 80, yet no Baron has showed up.  Odd, as I'm sure my fortress has met all the requirements for wealth, exports and jobs.

In other news:  Crocsplosion!  The cave crocodile breeding program was far more successful than expected, with dozens of crocs being born within a few weeks of each other.  Now I am rushing to build butcher's shops and get rid of them before they begin smashing furniture and eating traders.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2009, 11:31:19 pm »

I've started on a new fort, and this one is pulling together quickly. Indeed, I find bringing 10 cats to start with was a very good idea, as my year-end slaughter of cats is brining me enough skulls and leather to offer great trade benefit, plus wonderful food biscuits to keep the populace very happy. I have been having a slight crisis with my kitchen overzealously converting wine to prepared meals, resulting in a slight shortage of drinks for the dwarves, but this will be taken care of. All I'm waiting for now is the migrant wave to help build up the rest of the fort and really begin to beef it up.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2009, 11:51:36 pm »

I seem to have avoided all fun. My defenses are impenetrable, my dining hall is legendary, my nobles, though I bother little with mandates, seem content. Violations of production orders so far result in jail time only. Though a baby apparently murdered an imprisoned dwarf once.

I am working on interesting chambers for the Queen, now, though we have yet to be recognized as a duchy.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2009, 12:04:18 am »

My goblins have hunted the last wild animal, their only source of food, from the map.  86 of the buggers flashing brown arrows at me.

One of them stole food from the traders before they reached the Depot.  Good on you, mate!

And...the traders traded me 400 meat.  That should last me...hmm...six months.  Next caravan comes in...hmm...twelve months.

Hmmmm.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2009, 01:15:31 am »

Lost my latest fort, Ancientcastle, to a batch of carps, an opportunistic ambush squad, and the resulting tantrum spiral.

Found an pretty nice sight, with a canyon and river running through it. I have a few ideas for megaprojects but can't quite decide.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

N3X15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2009, 05:04:23 am »

Just finished my cistern in a new fort when a dorf drowned.

Now going through tantrum spiral again.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2009, 09:32:52 am »

Got the King; now worrying about his consort who's only "quite content". Hope my 20-level-tall pump stack (right through the statue gardens and workshop level) will fix that when I finally turn it on.
Currently waiting about an hour RL for the post-trade Hauling spree to die down, so I can build some more roads (I'm going to build 3x3 tile roads all around the map edges.) (Trading for me works in three steps: 1. Sell finished goods I want to keep, but which clog up bin space. 2. Buy back my own finished goods, 3. sell all the useless crap and optionally 4. doublecheck to make sure we're not selling anything valuable)

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2009, 10:46:38 am »

Lost a liaison from a modded civ. Why? The deep elf was missing an ear, and a finger. So she would go unconscious every few steps. Not a good idea when my entrance has a lot of cage traps, I never noticed and she died in the cage. Damnit, there goes any hope of getting any more giant desert scorpions :(.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2009, 03:17:13 pm »

Opened up my snazzy new entranceway, with a platinum trade depot and a tunnel-road right to the edge of the map; an added bonus is that there were some boulders perfectly positioned to block off the rest of the map, forcing the merchants to appear right at the tunnel entrance. Should cut down on ambushes. I've isolated the central plateau, and am working on smoothing and shaping it; it will make a good base for.. something. I may get ambitious and attempt an ice-block castle or pyramid.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2009, 03:30:09 pm »

General aboveground madness is happening in Parchedrampart.

The main wall is a circle of raw basalt with a diameter of 71 squares, 3 Zs high, 2 squares wide and fully walkable with 5 towers and green glass fortifications on top. It's about half finished after almost 5 years, as well as the two towers in the middle that will reach 15 Zs with their green glass domes on top. Also the the green glass road, lined with stripes of gold and exceptional or better basalt statues goes all the way to the edge now and the damming of the brook is in full progress. More buildings of greater dimensions are planned, but one has to start somewhere, right? ;D

In other news, all nobles except major, broker/treasurer and dungeonmaster mysteriously died in the heat recently (lovely contraption of my own design ;) ), my best miner drowned while digging a moat, some other people just...died, I guess. One was a child who died of thirst at the bed of his mother, one of the first legendary champion wrestlers who was injured in an ambush before I had proper armor made. There was absolutely no reason, a well and buckets were nearby, as well as the freshly restocked boozepile. I guess he just stayed at his mothers bed, no matter what... this game is so sad sometimes :-[
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Magick

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_LEARN] [MAGICAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2009, 03:50:05 pm »

Well, i embarked to a wonderful location alongside a major river. I had blocked off the brook
running into it (via waterfall) with floodgates. Then, i discovered a major problem: there was no stone thanks to an aquifer. I quickly set up a ballista and had the leader executed for incompetence. Then i executed the first miner for falling into the major river and requiring the construction of a staircase to get out. Then his lover (the second miner) went insane with grief. I had her executed too. Afterwards, three other dwarves refused to work, instead spending their time griefing in the meeting area. I militarized them, stationed them next to the ballista, and allowed it to do it's work. There are only two survivors now, the farmer(siege engineer and operator) and the fisherdwarf(One of the last three dwarves, is unconcious and is missing a leg). Mind you, the ballista fired into the major river. So it's full of corpses.
"Alright, I'll trade you these mugs, and you'll give me those -Oh. Here. Just take this. WAIT. I DID NOT MEAN TO GIVE YOU THOSE."
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9079/1278257725299.jpg

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2009, 06:20:06 pm »

More Orc sieges, plenty of iron to go around forever. A whole caravan of Elves slaughtered, so that's wasn't too bad. Routed them quickly, since they only had about 3 stacks of troops.

But I did capture a buttload, gonna have some fun with that. Bad news, though. My FPS is at 70, and I only have 24 Dwarves. Getting a migrant wave now, since I turned up the population cap. More soldiers! Yay! Oh, and I can begin to run a normal fortress. Tower I'm building is up to 12 z levels, should go faster with more workers. I wonder what to do with all these Orc and goblin (one human) prisoners? Any suggestions?

40 Dwarves, 20 FPS. This game needs optimized like crazy.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:26:02 pm by Vampire Penguin »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 3838