Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 784 785 [786] 787 788 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112560 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11775 on: March 26, 2011, 08:46:58 pm »

Started up a desert fort; my map's limited to tetrahedrite for weaponable metal ores, so I'm once again getting thrifty. Caravan steel will have to suffice, but I need magma for any sort of nontrivial steel recycling operation (since, you know... desert). To get to the magma, I'd need to pass through the layer containing the tetrahedrite, and the silver from that would make nice serrated discs for me to sell to buy the steel. It's a perfect solution: dig deeper, live more.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11776 on: March 26, 2011, 08:56:47 pm »

Gatizobok, "The Fondled Pillar", a native gold mechanisms

This is a native gold mechanisms. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with native gold, decorated with yak leather, and encircled with bands of native gold. This object menaces with spikes of native gold.

Weight: 386

Basic Value: 217200

Not bad for my first artifact in this fort, and I'm very early into the game. It's either late winter or early spring - I don't remember. The name is fitting, since the dwarf who made it is named after an old college friend of mine who was well known for being a bit randy.

Edit: Also, badgers. Very angry badgers. Regular ones, badger men, and giant  badgers. They keep swarming over the map and attacking anything out in the open. No injuries yet, and two smaller badgers were killed by a miner and a horse.

'The Fondled Pillar'? You have got to be kidding me. I thought the 'Cave of Anus' I got was bad.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11777 on: March 26, 2011, 09:00:02 pm »

An ambush! Curse them!

The goblins spawned right on top of a pair of hapless wood haulers, cutting them down quickly. I got everyone inside and raised the drawbridge, hoping I could get by at yellow alert (all dwarves restricted to activities in the fortress proper, no surface no caverns.) I quickly realized that I wouldn't have any wood under that plan, and so went to full stage red alert, set my military to guard the gate and lowered the bridge.

I lost one dwarf in the fighting right off the bat. I captured 4 goblins and slaughtered the rest, taking one other serious injury in the fighting. Altogether, a success. Now I just need to get more steel boots made to keep my dwarves from getting stabbed in the feet repeatedly.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11778 on: March 26, 2011, 09:05:11 pm »

Well, I've just collected the yearly toll of elf blood, so I've got plenty of crap needing to be hauled. I've got three sections of wall, two bridges and a dozen traps that need building. I've got jobs lined up in multiple workshops. And I have twelve lazy-ass ickle beardies claiming that there are "no jobs", when all appropriate labours are enabled. I'm considering introducing the living quarters to the volcano.

Also, first artifact: A possession of a gemworker, who produced a turquoise weapon rack worth 2800 DB. Well, at least it is constructable. On another note, just breached the first cavern layer. Nice and empty, with plenty of plants and water, and no obvious hostiles. However, the initial breach was accidental, done while I was setting up a Dodge This. I'm planning on walling it off and approaching through a stalagmite.
EDIT:Okay, I've activated architecture and masonry for every single one of the 36 dwarves, and they still refuse to work on that last bridge.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:08:33 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11779 on: March 26, 2011, 09:07:16 pm »

You totally need to just dodge-drop them into the caverns to be left to the mercy of a Forgotten Beast.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11780 on: March 26, 2011, 09:17:27 pm »

Well, goblins finally arrived to ambush right as the dwarven caravan arrived. The caravan guards and the liason were the only survivors, though I think one merchant and his horse made it off the screen when I pulled the bridge and cut off access to the depot.

The liason promptly suggested Craftgates become a barony. I declined as politely as possible.

The guards did enough damage that everybody was busy for a while hauling off loot.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11781 on: March 26, 2011, 09:18:26 pm »

Okay, after disabling masonry and architecture for every dwarf save one, drafting that one, moving him next to the bridge, deactivating him, and removing the build order and placing it again, I finally got it built. And I couldn't drop the trapped two because they were my expedition leader and starting mason, both of whom have something like 20 close friends.  :-\
On another note, as they still haven't cleared out anything from the depot, the elf corpses and food are all rotting up a storm. The miasma has spread from the main entrance hall to the workshops, but the kitchens and living quarters are far enough away to not be affected. A recruit I sent out to deal with some wolves dodged into the open mouth of the volcano. He was a cheesemaker and will not be missed.
Edit: GAH! More immigrants! On another note, an animal dissector got a withdrawn mood, became a legendary stonecrafter, and produced this: Edanthusest Ros Alnis, "Stirredfury the Decisions of War. Worth 78000DB, this is an alunite figurine of dwarves. The dwarves are laboring. The artwork relates to the founding of some mountainhome way back in 59. Decorated with bands of racoon leather and bands of alunite. It menaces with spikes of... RED DIAMOND?! YOU SONOFA...

Oh, and there is also a picture of a square, and an image of the founding of this fortress, Clutchspears.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:41:47 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11782 on: March 26, 2011, 09:52:13 pm »

I've had *knocks on wood* three surprisingly useful moods so far. The first produced an artifact mechanism named Sunfoot, the second an artifact bow named Smashedwades the Depressed Club (not as useful, but can still be put in a weapon trap to make a legendary dining hall), and the third...

Soloz Id, the Worship of Rock, a copper anvil.

It's only worth 7200 dorfbucks, which pales in comparison to the roughly 30000 that both of the others are worth, and I can forgive that. Hell, the name alone would make me forgive that, nevermind that it's something as useful as an anvil. I think that Ilral Stakecontrolled will be the first dwarf after the starting seven to be given an actual room. Well, once I manage to get enough wood to make some beds, that is.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11783 on: March 26, 2011, 11:27:46 pm »

Bonecarver gets possessed. Oh well, maybe we'll end up with a cool bone throne for the King or something. Boy he sure is making a lot of trips. Jiminy, what all is he taking into the workshop?

Me about to be pissed:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Me pissed:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarf Fortress: where the bones of two cats make an indestructible floodgate, and six tons of elephant bone can be whittled down into a bracelet.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11784 on: March 27, 2011, 12:06:47 am »

A farmer went fey, grabbed 40 rhinoceros bones and a ton of random stuff and made a 40k bone coffin. I am so glad that bug is fixed.

The human diplomat arrived, along with a largish caravan. Evidently they had not noticed half of their other caravans came back dead. On further inspection, the diplomat was none other than the law-giver himself! Once they were all inside, I closed the gates and committed regicide.

As I turned my attention to the merchants (and their formidable guards) 3 goblin ambushes decloaked outside. One was almost entirely captured in the cage traps near the end of the main bridge- the macegobbos and crossbow squad came on. Meanwhile, the human guards were more resilient than expected. My militia commander, champion of the fortress, was struck down by a hammerman. He died with only five kills to his name, but his presence has saved the fortress several times over. He will be missed. Several other dwarves were struck down in the fighting- in the end, it was a 1:1 trade of lives, discounting the easily slaughtered civilians.

My crossbow dorfs took the walls and managed to rain death down onto the goblins. A charge by my remaining military scattered the gobbos with no injury.

FAKEEDIT: Well, not so much. Apparently some of the lasher screwed up their courage and turned to fight the crossbow dwarves who were chasing them. 2 died. It appears some dwarves who had been trapped on teh other side of the river came across and blocked his escape route, causing him to kill a civilian and one of the crossbows who caught up to him.

In the fighting a baby girl was born. The humans have no leader, or any other nobles at all for that matter. It will be interesting to see what next summer brings.

Population: 54 -> 43

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11785 on: March 27, 2011, 03:24:34 am »

All hail Tosid Beastmountain.
A name destined for greatness.

Tosid started out as a lowly Peasant, training under the Militia Commander. I'd had enough haulers so he was one of the first to go into my new military. Inexplicably, given the choice of silver hammers and bronze axes, he instead picked up a clunky obsidian sword to fight with. After breaching the caverns I had him and his comrades utilizing their newfound skills picking off crundles and naked mole dogs.

Before long, we were visited by the forgotten beast Aste, "an enormous feathered lobster". The beast trampled a war dog without breaking a sweat, and started its way up the 40 floors to the fortress. I sent the squad under to block his path as neither my traps or my archer squad were quite ready yet. While a few archers did help - and The militia commander and some dolt wielding a training axe did manage to get a few hits in - it was basically down to Tosid and a fellow Hammerdwarf cornering Aste in a narrow corridor and slowly hacking him to bits. Just as the monster was about to go down, it gores Tosid through the stomach.

After the Hammerdwarf finishes off the creature, Tosid climbs the 40 floors to the surface, vomiting and passing out the whole way. He finally collapses upon reaching the hospital. He begrudgingly relieved himself from duty.

Not a few days later, a Giant Olm is harassing the dwarves in the cave. Again I send out the squad, figuring Tosid would sit this one out - but no! Tosid leaps from the hospital bed and beats everyone to the action. He holds his own while sporting a fresh scar across his stomach, and literally hacks the Olm's legs out from under him. The Olm falls over, on the verge of defeat... only for my Commander to jump in at the last moment and bravely plant his axe in the unconscious Olm's skull!

The bastard will probably take all the credit for it, too. I think his burial tomb is about to be reassigned.

I need a fitting nickname for Tosid Beastmountain.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:39:32 am by bucket »

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11786 on: March 27, 2011, 03:46:07 am »

Special case of the "overly-dedicated dwarves" bug; I have a manager who's currently too busy attending a PARTAY WOOO!!!! to go to sleep like he really needs to. Always amusing. Aside from that, I'm getting back into the swing of things, having quit during the change to 31.X; I'm immensely pleased to have my obsidian farm back, and am quite amused by magma-powered pottery. FREE CRAFTS OMG. Had some trouble with the deep magma and the need for pumping it up, but aside from a false start with a dwarven reactor and rediscovering the advantage of wide intake channels, all has gone well. Seriously, for the past 5 years of my fortress, the only problem has been booze stores dropping to 500 or so, though I do have INVADERS set to OFF. Now I shall learn the military.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11787 on: March 27, 2011, 04:30:09 am »

Mountainrazor started well - 15 happy quiet dwarves with magma, coal AND flux.

Then 28 freeloader hippies turn up, with too too many leatherworkers and plant gatherers...

Now a goblin thief has somehow wandered through my field of traps and killed two dwarves with his copper dagger, including the founding farmer.

And the magma forges were not filling up at all with magma.  Sigh.  If I ever get to actually producing any steel, it will be good, but between goblins, tragedy and mody glassmakers, it's not looking good.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11788 on: March 27, 2011, 06:05:14 am »

I picked the angriest dwarf in my fort (not unhappiness, but the personality stat "rage"), and found that my jeweler had 95/100 points in it, and was in a "constant state of internal rage". Rage makes them enrage in combat more often and makes them a badass in general.

So I renamed him RageMidget, gave him two exceptional steel warhammers (one in each hand), a full steel/iron armor set, a cape on his back (because he's a superhero) and a hood on his head. Then trained him to legendary in most soldiering skills.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11789 on: March 27, 2011, 06:06:59 am »

Cute... is he still a Gemcutter as his alternate identity?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: 1 ... 784 785 [786] 787 788 ... 3842