Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112003 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11640 on: March 22, 2011, 05:24:14 pm »

Genned a new world in .21, embarked SURFACE GALENA AND LIMESTONE SCORE oh wait no iron FML

And then I changed my layout plans halfway through construction and had to hard-quit and restart. >_<

FML. Apparently it doesn't auto-save on embark, so I lost my awesome site. DF Reveal was mentioning a magma pipe in the second cavern and more cotton candy than you can shake a stick at. *A*
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:29:38 pm by proxn_punkd »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11641 on: March 22, 2011, 05:26:27 pm »

Edem has organized a party

This is in between other announcements. Only parties in entire fortress ever. Either he's a social king or a social hauler. Probably B as he's the only one who goes to these parties.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11642 on: March 22, 2011, 08:28:41 pm »

Genned a new world in .21, embarked SURFACE GALENA AND LIMESTONE SCORE oh wait no iron FML

And then I changed my layout plans halfway through construction and had to hard-quit and restart. >_<

FML. Apparently it doesn't auto-save on embark, so I lost my awesome site. DF Reveal was mentioning a magma pipe in the second cavern and more cotton candy than you can shake a stick at. *A*

Its an init option- near Autosave, I think. I had a similar occurrence make me start using it.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11643 on: March 22, 2011, 08:37:06 pm »

Granitemaw has finally started real construction, after 7 years of preparation. I have my obsidian block and have started going about carving this 70x70x5 monster.

In the interm, I have pretty much come to expect a yearly goblin siege. I now have a trap in place that wipes the siege out every time. Now I just need to trade away all this goblin crap. I got 200 copper breastplates, 200 copper helms of superior quality, and about 150 shields. Everyone has a weapon of choice, and I got thousands of arrows.

Life is good save for the occasional death by thief.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11644 on: March 22, 2011, 08:51:35 pm »

The most disturbing thing happened today... A weaponsmith entered a strange mood during a tantrum spiral and crafted a toy boat out of his wife's decayed remains.

"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11645 on: March 22, 2011, 09:17:15 pm »

bwahahahahahahahahaha

A VILE SOURCE HAS ARRIVED! (or whatever it says when gobbies siege)

i check them out, and its a bunch of spearmen, and one goblin holding nothing...i check what the hell he is, says he's nako nolstoukge, general, i check the civvies page, he's one of the two leaders listed on the goblin civ, i shrug it off, set my civilians to run to my danger room/food storage area so they cant starve/run out of food on a long siege, and set my military to gather together in my first floor below surface...i check back on the siegers to see how they're doing and i see blood on the ground that wasnt there before...

the friggin gobbies loyalty cascaded when they got on my map, and killed their own general...

so yeah, half of them f*cked off after the general died, and im just waiting for the ones left to run into my line of cage traps
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:19:15 pm by Renzuko »

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11646 on: March 22, 2011, 09:22:17 pm »

Just made a new world with a 5 year history, and while it's not directly my fortress, this was just too good:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/freedan_the_eternal/WTF.jpg

Goblins attacked the elves over a dispute regarding "truthfulness." Siege for less than a season, and the goblin leader offered peace to the elves, who accepted. Which obviously means the elves liked it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11647 on: March 22, 2011, 10:12:19 pm »

Spring has arrived!

The date is now 1st Granite, 164, Early Spring, and with the new year comes my full report on my progress in Rumor.

i figure a visual of the project is the best I can do to describe it's current state;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The dirt path seen in the first pic is the intended road. Connecting directly to the bridge will be a 7x road of white stone that goes all the way around the three ponds. Those ponds are a statue garden currently, purely aesthetic. It's a low-traffic area and dwarves end up going all the way around it except to place statues in it. The stone structure behind the bridge will be the anchor of the roof of the bridge when complete. the roof may have multiple decks and will have some living space for the dwarves along it's length. The road deck that's partially built right now will have a deck below it for maintenance and magma tubes. The two wide gaps in it are where I've built cobaltite drawbridges, invisible in overseer.

The fort's population is steady at 59. My fps is still decent and my food and booze stocks appear infinite at this point; my barrel supply being the only limiting factor.

There were no deaths this year I think. the jeweler and recruit died last year. No injuries either. Invasions are turned off...
The bee population refuses to grow fast enough for my tastes. I want to split the hives at some point.
Now building extra masonry shops to produce blocks faster.

I expect the bridge to be accessible from the other side by winter, and the entire structure and all intended surrounding structures within the decade, with 5 years being a good minimum.

Now if only I could avoid the incessant crashing...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:16:25 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11648 on: March 22, 2011, 11:22:35 pm »

Got bored with my fortress, so I let the 7 forgotten beasts stop having tea in the caves and come into my arena, where I sent in my 19 penta-legendary axedwarves to fight them. As I thought, the battle was over quickly, and none of the dwarves was injured. Two of the beasts had deadly dusts, however, and even though I immediately had them all run back through my 3 deep moat, they all exploded while laying in the hospital less than a week later.
They were all male and all married, and so a fun time was had spreading blood, gore and bodyparts all over most of all the walls everywhere.
The duke went melancholy and shortly thereafter was mortally wounded by a berzerker, and left a long trail of blood as he wandered toward his opulent tomb, succumbing just a few tiles short.
Amazingly, the militia commander had somehow not been hit by the dusts, and so racked up more than 10 kills on his fellow dwarfs, before the end.
Near the end, a troll decided to join the party and did a really great job hunting down most of the new orphans, and then another forgotten beast showed up and pretty much finished it all off.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11649 on: March 23, 2011, 12:39:48 am »

lol, i looked into the goblin general and found his civilization in legends mode, its fun reading about how my militia became enemies of their civ cuz we defended against them >.> i wonder if the goblins think that they're the ones giving revenge and receiving terror...

also, apparently a yak cow became the enemy of the civ...i...dont even know how the hell that would have happened, do yak cow's fight back against people?

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #11650 on: March 23, 2011, 01:35:03 am »

The most disturbing thing happened today... A weaponsmith entered a strange mood during a tantrum spiral and crafted a toy boat out of his wife's decayed remains.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sounds like she got...  8) Boatmurdered.

Anyway, I've finished the wall around the entire perimeter on my 6x6 embark, and I'm working on the roof. Clear glass block raising bridges, supported from narrow walkways. my main entry defense is a 'shark fin'...

Side view: g=ground, w=wall, r=ramp, t=weapon trap

Code: [Select]
        tttttttttt
       rwwwwwwwwwwr
      rwwwwwwwwwwwwr
     rwwwwwwwwwwwwwwr
    rwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwr
   rwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwr
gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

top view:

w
         wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
         w
     rrrrrttttttttttrrrrr       (map edge)
         w
         wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
                        w

I didn't want to cut deep pits, so instead any land-bound creatures need to climb up to the dodge-this level to enter the fort, I know it's not wagon-compatible, but meh.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11651 on: March 23, 2011, 03:56:34 am »

The Elves want Minecrazy gone.

An ambush of elf archers mounted on alligators, that were sorted by the Worthy Roofs in short time, saving a wayward fisherdwarf, who, upon seeing enemies, and seeing the entrance closed STAYED WHERE HE WAS, OUT OF SIGHT OF THE ELVES, and hence, survived.

Then, as the Worthy Roofs were leaving the battlefield, another ambush of war elephants ridden by swordselves appeared right next to them and the gate.  Oh, well, let's go down in a blaze of glory.

Two of the Roofs drowned in the pond next to them, but one was missing both arms at the time, so he probably couldn't swim too well.  The rest were awesome and killed all elves and elephants.  (Have they been nerfed in ver22?).  Deduk Diedgear the Ace Letter of Grasping took down three by himself.  Awesome fun. 

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11652 on: March 23, 2011, 06:16:26 am »

In Tinfound we've just finished our main defences.

The upper entrance is defended by a "dodge this" spiral which is sealed by retracting bridges when not required:
Example top view (this is the highest z of the spiral, incorporating the entrance from outside):
wwwwwwd d dwwww
wf f f f f f wf f
wf b b b b b b f f f f
wf b b b b b b f f f f
wf b b b b b b f f f f
wf b b b b b b f f f f
wf f f f f f fw
wwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Where w = wall, f= floor, b = retracting bridge, d = down stairs.
So when the bridges are in place it is a simple journey, but when they are open, anyone who comes through has to traverse the narrow spiral. Top z is bristling with weapon traps, the second z has a bunch of chained wardogs (plus puppies who will likely go into freefall when the bridges open), the third has nothing yet but probably more and nastier weapon traps, and the way out.

Oh, and anyone who dodges the wrong way ends up in a pit full of menacing steel spikes and giant desert scorpions. Good luck!

Our lower level is guarded by a slightly different arrangement consisting of a "toilet trap". Normally it is a regular corridor. But when the emergency lever is pulled, a bridge retracts leaving the only way across as a narrow ledge, with a lot of pressurised water on one side (aquifers are damn useful) and a 10z drop into a pit with a bronze colossus in it, on the other. This side isn't fully functional yet, as the water cistern digging has been extended by the discovery of unexpected coal reserves, but it soon will be.

Also, it's really annoying that dwarves suspend construction when the builder has lost their baby. That delayed my second aquifer breach so many times, that in the end when Urist McBaby decided to play in the water again, I just turned off the drain pumps...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11653 on: March 23, 2011, 10:59:11 am »

well learn something today one that lair buildings could be accessed but won't net you actions (well one might want to find the RAW name for it any way) and that placing a food stockpile over preserved Human guts and claiming them means your dwarves will Consume it.
I saw Dwarf eating Human brains at a table recently.
so for best embark sites find and clear out a lair in adventure mode you might net your self some bonus food until those Plump helmets grow.
it's not cannibalism if there not the same race.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11654 on: March 23, 2011, 11:03:38 am »

well learn something today one that lair buildings could be accessed but won't net you actions (well one might want to find the RAW name for it any way) ...so for best embark sites find and clear out a lair in adventure mode ...

Night creature lairs also have a preserving effect on the contents, until you embark there. You could use an adventurer to store loot there, and then embark so you could use that loot in your fort. You could either store stolen human goods there, or take loot from an abandoned fort and move it to the lair for re-use.
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 3842