Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111886 times)

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11610 on: March 21, 2011, 03:41:07 pm »

"The forgotten beast Vutu Thacsumsimo Amsir Bitrak has come! An enourmous humanoid composed of nickel. It has wings and a bloated body. Beware his fire!"

What a good luck i have! A nearly-invincible as my first (or, if i include that skinless elk that killed the last dorf of my last fort after 70 of them died due to a steel-scaled dragon, second) forgotten beast! And it's on my first cavern layer, where i haven't completely walled off the area but only builded a bridge!

Spoiler: COMBAT REPORT! (click to show/hide)

mmm... did i said something like "nearly-invincible" ?

it seems that the single soldier that died made 7 miserable dwarves, 2 very unhappy and 3 unhappy.
And one of them just thrown a tantrum. And we know what will happen next.....

S**t, i would be happier if the FB had a insta-rotting poison. Usually there isn't much !!FUN!! in my forts.

EDIT: Armorsmith went berserk in the wilds near my fortress, just near a fisher. About 5 seconds later he also entered martial trance. Naturally, due to my anti-!!FUN!! powers, my soldiers managed to kill him before he could do anything.
Random dwarves are trowning tantrums... lasting half a second.

Somebody knows some way to create lots of fun without "accidentally" flooding my fort with magma?!?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:51:59 pm by Iados »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11611 on: March 21, 2011, 03:42:54 pm »

alright, so my miners got some cotton candy out of the ground, dwarfy friends, which chould i make first, weaponry, or armor?
Hammers. Shields.
Adamantine hammers are about as effective as pillows.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11612 on: March 21, 2011, 03:51:57 pm »

alright, so my miners got some cotton candy out of the ground, dwarfy friends, which chould i make first, weaponry, or armor?
Hammers. Shields.
Adamantine hammers are about as effective as pillows.
I'm perfectly aware of that... I was going for the same kind of unhelpful advice as Draignean.  ::)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #11613 on: March 21, 2011, 04:02:29 pm »

finally some FUN (without the !!-!!, no fires for now)

A tantruming dwarf smashed the bridge, only entrance of my fort.
And a goblin ambush.

Let the carnage... BEGIN!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11614 on: March 21, 2011, 04:16:23 pm »

Great works have been accomplished in Rumor.

It is late autumn of the third year. The caravan has just arrived and is greeted with the sight of our wonderful new bridge anchoring-in-progress on the island side. Still haven't built enough to touch the continental shore on the east side of the embark, mainly because I want to build the entire thing from dark-colored stone blocks. I have managed to make a 3x central walkway across half the intended length of the bridge. No concern about the diorite supplies really; it occurs three seperate times in the layers directly underneath us, seperated first from the shale by dolomite, then by marble, then by granite. I just need to dig it out and place workshops where it will be used. Haven't dug deeper than that yet and haven't actually seen the second or third cavern layers.

The population is up to 59 now. That's roughly three times what it was when I last posted about Rumor's progress. I had them make some dirt roads leading around a statue garden area south and west of the anchor point and tunnel entrance. The road will be paved in white stone blocks with a bridge across a sandy tidal zone straight east of us that goes inland and then south in a vertically inverted L.

Invasions are turned off because I feel like being a pansie and don't want to be interrupted. Only two deaths so far, one from a failed mood and one from an elf's pack animal I wanted to kill so I could trade with the Cobalds.

Oddly enough the only person working on engraving our dining hall is a skill-less peasant that came recently. He's done at least a third of it and up to half of the engraving by himself. the other engraving-enabled workers are also miners and are very busy these days.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:20:23 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11615 on: March 21, 2011, 04:50:19 pm »

lol curse you musashi, though i am aware that adamantine hammer's are useless >.>

and urist...it was a question of what to make first >.> and though i do have 2 magma forges, id rather deck my guys out with armor or weapons first

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11616 on: March 21, 2011, 04:52:35 pm »

lol curse you musashi, though i am aware that adamantine hammer's are useless >.>

and urist...it was a question of what to make first >.> and though i do have 2 magma forges, id rather deck my guys out with armor or weapons first
:P
More seriously, focus on anything that has a blade (axes, swords). Maybe it's just me, but helms were lifesavers, too. Good luck!
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #11617 on: March 21, 2011, 05:22:25 pm »

I need help. I've just started playing DF2010 (my last experience with DF was 40d16, IIRC), and one of my militia dorfs has dumped a lot of meat (which he owns!) all in the armour stockpile and won't move it. How in Armok's name do I get him to pick it back up before it starts to stink up the place?

I haven't found any explicit references to this phenomenon, but I'm guessing that it's related to the bug where dwarves interrupted in the middle of a meal won't touch it again ... ever.
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11618 on: March 21, 2011, 05:22:50 pm »

Confucius said "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."

I say "Before you begin building armor or weapons from adamantine, build some coffins."
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11619 on: March 21, 2011, 05:29:51 pm »

I started a new nanofort. My favourite design layout- 9 11x11 squares surrounded by a 3x wide corridor- fits perfectly into the 48 tiles I have to work with. It's beautiful. Just making an enormous perimeter wall around the outside now, and digging through the aquifer. :') brings a tear to my eye...
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11620 on: March 21, 2011, 05:34:56 pm »

Confucius said "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."

I say "Before you begin building armor or weapons from adamantine, build some coffins."

lol i have my mass grave set up already, 30+ coffins unused lol

also, decided im not letting my armorsmith or weaponsmith touch the stuff till they hit legendary+5 god damnit, it'll if i need to draft additional miltia and im out of other armors...and i can make upright weapon traps for my cave entrances lol
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:37:20 pm by Renzuko »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11621 on: March 21, 2011, 07:53:22 pm »

Welp, this will be fun.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11622 on: March 21, 2011, 09:02:20 pm »

If only this were from a fell mood.

All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11623 on: March 21, 2011, 09:31:20 pm »

If only this were from a fell mood.

Someone's been listening to The Cure again...

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11624 on: March 21, 2011, 10:05:57 pm »

Report from Koshzoden, "Slaughterhouse" to Lertethamost, "the Tangled Town" by Urvad Tobulilrom, baron of "The Blind Hound", in partnership with "TerryDactyl", overseer:

Value: 1 667  316
Population: 159
Date: 26 Timber 255, Late Autumn.

A devastating blow has been made to our military when a goblin ambush caught us unprepared. Several of our best troops were lost, while Fath Asolsazir was hard at work on Yawnedstopped, a golden mace of the highest quality. Our broker was excited to report its value at nearly 200 000, but it seems a meager consolation against recent catastrophes.

Though it is wise to keep in mind that it truly has been a strong economic season. Our stores are vastly more secure than they were just two months ago.

We will honour the dead and face an uncertain future with hope in our hearts.
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 3842