Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 757 758 [759] 760 761 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110593 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11370 on: March 13, 2011, 08:17:11 pm »

For the first time ever I've set up a steel industry. And it's going quite well. I had bad luck for dozens of forts in the past, when it came to making steel and before that I was just too lazy. But now I actually have a working steel industry!

My dwarves are still bogged down with work. And I'm worried that my military won't have a fast enough reaction time to get to the entrance. Still some kinks to work out in Findtheaters.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11371 on: March 13, 2011, 10:51:54 pm »

Just managed to repel 2 orc ambushes half a year before I expected to see them.  Nothing more than 9 soldiers on my side.   4 of them crossbowmen with no quivers and nearly useless.  All but the crossbowmen managed to get some no quality iron armor and weapons that were lying around.  And went to the front line.

And somehow, despite the orcs wearing steel and modded in mithril, my army won with no casualties.  Just some cut skin on the militia commander's foot.  Not even to the fat.

What surprised me the most though was the kind of damage the iron weapons did.  I'm used to adamantine weapons almost exclusively and the iron absolutely wrecked the spots not covered in armor.  Where adamantine barely chips a bone when it can't sever, the iron shattered it.  Disabling the limb just as effectively as if it was lopped off with adamantine. 

The only places where the iron failed to deliver were the armored bits.  And since goblins only seem to wear armor on their head and torso this version it was barely a disadvantage at all.  Making the bone in a goblin's weapon arm explode into a thousand splinters seems about as effective at neutralizing an opponent as just outright killing it with a atomic sharpness headshot.

So I now have a newfound respect for the more mundane metals.  All it took was for me to try a no adamantine fort once.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11372 on: March 14, 2011, 12:01:46 am »

Dwarf Fortress crashed. Again.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:07:04 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11373 on: March 14, 2011, 12:05:24 am »

What kind of computer are you using? And how many dwarves are there on your screen?
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11374 on: March 14, 2011, 12:08:03 am »

It's windows, I only currently have 21 dwarves. I've never had issues with high populations or pathing before, but since .17 it has been crashing constantly.

in fact, the last time I had this problem was when I first started, on this same machine, same OS, on version .38 or something similar
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:11:15 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11375 on: March 14, 2011, 12:11:28 am »

I run Windows XP on a Samsung laptop and it's the tops.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11376 on: March 14, 2011, 01:29:01 am »

Screw those humies and their boats and those hippies and their animal friends and those goblins and their... swimming... Ok I'm just ranting now but screw those guys: our intercontinental bridge has a waterslide going BOTH WAYS

This will be the motto of Rumor, the bridge to the other half of nowhere.

I haven't even laid down one catwalk connecting to the other side and won't for a while. I can't get anywhere with the crashing killing my progress. But that is the dream. It's a long distance to travel and I wouldn't want to unless I have companions. Tapping the period key for a few minutes and enjoying the show is more fun.

I decided to dig a tunnel to the other side before tackling the bridge portion. I immediately ran into an aquifer on the fourth soil layer where I haven't had to deal with it in the living quarters. Progress has been slow, and I don't know how I'll deal with an aquifer on the other end of the tunnel digging up from below, but perseverance is the dwarfy way, and Armok needs dwarfy dwarves to build such a dwarfy bridge. No real blueprint in mind for the final construction either, but it's going to be big, real big. I want to make a huge 11-wide causeway with a ceiling no less than 3 levels up, maybe raising upwards with the water slide on either side. The ceiling will need to be held aloft by massive pillars of cast obsidian every so many tiles (11? 23? Haven't decided, but the more pillars the better.) The causeway itself I want to be at least 2 levels above the water, and in order to fill this tall-ass order I need to bring both magma and water across the bridge.
This IS a megaproject. No less.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:51:27 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

zerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11377 on: March 14, 2011, 04:19:41 am »

Things are going well in Fatalpalace. So well, in fact, that I've had plenty of downtime to explore what my legendary engravers have been doing to the bedrooms. What do I find? That they've decided the image of the fort is...a purring maggot. It's carved onto nearly every damn bedroom wall like a proud flag.

Things got interesting when a child ran into my danger room, lost his feet, spent two years in the hospital refusing to be operated on (surgeon canceled surgery because of patient not resting every attempt for two years), gets a fey mood, then proceeds to hobble around the fort, dragging in pieces of goblins from my refuse pile across to build himself an artifact toy hammer. Then promptly goes back to the hospital for the remainder of his life.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11378 on: March 14, 2011, 04:24:58 am »

ive started a new fort that im running as a monestary/kung fu school.
every dwarf with any military skill at all is thrown in a squad and set to train 3 seasons of the year.
they are issued the leather armor, hood, robe, bone helm, and shell gauntlets and NO WEAPONS until.
that is until they slay a creature in combat. then they are issued that creature's weapon.

all non military dwarves are built a workshop corresponding to whatever skill they have, if we dont have that skill yet, given a bedroom and forgotten about.
we just got a furnace operator, so i suppose we'll be getting some metal to make better helmets, gauntlets, and YES, even boots out of as soon as an armorsmith comes along.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11379 on: March 14, 2011, 05:46:45 am »

Hey, I just got my first baron.  :D

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11380 on: March 14, 2011, 07:26:42 am »

third artifact bed. I'm almost tempted to file a bug report about it..

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11381 on: March 14, 2011, 10:25:55 am »

Decided to make the jump to .21, ignoring my pet peave with ghosts in exchange for the bug fixes and general awesomeness of everything else. I'm currently raising alpaca's for wool (sweetness).

I also just got my first artifact, and it's a weapon! ok... weapon is a relative term. It's a zinc pick named " the bud of homages". A fitting name that, to me, suggest that one day in the future I'll have enough history to actually make good artifacts.

I am getting sick of migrant pet choices though. Seriously, who decides they're going to take their pet buck rabbit and duckling along? Who decides that they just NEED a pet piglet? If (when) that piglet dies of "unforeseen" circumstances, I won't exactly be sad.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11382 on: March 14, 2011, 11:53:16 am »

Still a very low death toll in this fortress, considering I don't have a military.  I'm in the process of building a big wooden wall around my pasture, and making a building right outside that wall for the Trade Depot.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11383 on: March 14, 2011, 12:20:37 pm »

Alligators.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11384 on: March 14, 2011, 01:57:14 pm »

Still a very low death toll in this fortress, considering I don't have a military.  I'm in the process of building a big wooden wall around my pasture, and making a building right outside that wall for the Trade Depot.

I used wooden fortifications instead. Granted, I don't hink there is a benefit - but it makes it seem more like a fence than a building.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: 1 ... 757 758 [759] 760 761 ... 3842