Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110375 times)

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11355 on: March 12, 2011, 11:45:28 pm »

Observing them a little more, I noticed they always seem to turn on just one goblin per squad - and then tend to get demoralized and leave.  I think they're killing their leaders.  Goblin civil war, perhaps?

... and just now, I realized that instead of giving those razor-sharp steel short swords to the military, I gave them to the fortress guard.  That explains why an animal trainer is lying in several pieces on the ground now.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11356 on: March 13, 2011, 12:05:29 am »

Yeah lately my gobbos have been turning up and fighting eachother. They're not attacking the other squads, and they're not being led by demons; they're just immediately turning on themselves. It's bizarre, and quite disappointing. My squads are itching to thrust their cyan shafts into some greenskins.

This is a loyalty cascade, pretty common in the last few versions, as it seems some kidnapped non-goblins are not properly inducted into the goblin civilization. See http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3685 on the bug tracker if you want to add anything to the bug report.

In my forts I just wait until the "rebel" faction has mostly been killed off (a few years or so) then they go back to regular ambushes and sieges.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11357 on: March 13, 2011, 12:23:41 am »

I finally bothered to try and make steel after so much laziness and later, a long line of bad embark spots. Although now my dwarves are very overworked.

My fortress wealth, climbs unabated.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11358 on: March 13, 2011, 03:51:32 am »

Still haven't found flux or coal since starting with 21, but have founded "Bronzemansions", where, unfortunately, there is no tin and therefore no bronze... Or flux or coal.

I do have a volcano, though, and a lot of copper.

Anyway, farming has turned into a kind-of animal pit fighting spectacle, with the bull being killed for meat after beating shit out of two raindeer and a bunny rabbit.  Cats are no longer an issue, as my dwarves have a serious animal fetish going on, including the guy with three pet sheep.

And the second human caravan successfully spotted my second goblin ambush, and after all the fighting, two goblins faced the wrath of the Meat Shields (actually the East Shields, but that doesn't sound as cool, or as appropriate).  One gobbo promptly ran into the last empty cage trap, and the other was apparently bitten to death by a recruit.  (Note to self - forge some extra weapons).  All that loot, and it technically isn't stealing...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11359 on: March 13, 2011, 08:12:16 am »

Again, elfs. And goblins. At once.

"Ma'am Overseer, the merchants from the Nature of Excavation are here again!"
"Good, good. I wonder what wonderful caged creatures they bring us this time. Quick, Urist, start getting some rock crafts so they don't suspect anything!"
"It's better if they never realize we are taking advantage of their extremely unlucky business, right?"
"Yep. Also, on the off chance we don't get attacked again, it would be a shame not to get more war leopards for figurines of humans fighting elfs."

"Why do we keep coming, Fela, seriously?"
"Because Legendcrypts isn't openly hostile towards us, and therefore, the druid wants to get more figurines from these dwarves. You know he collects them. Also, they never tried to give us wooden bins, dirty unclean wooden bins, which is a plus."
"No, I mean... 5 time in a row, we elfs come to trade, and 5 times in a row, bam! Goblins! You're only alive today because last year, somehow, when you started the business, the siege didn't bother to kill anything more than llamas. And honestly, I think I'd rather have died, because there's nothing more humiliating than coming back to the depot where you left ALL the merchandise, seeing the corpses of your llamas, and the dwarfs bringing OUR merchandise inside THEIR fort, going all 'Aye, we can still give you well-crafted shale mugs fer yer stuff, if yer delicate hands can carry it all, sucks to be ye'. You'd think the boss would have understood by now it is at the very least mediocre business practice, at the most, a war declaration."
"I know, I know. But other than that, they're pretty respectful. You know, for alcoholic midgets."
"Do you think they intentionally call goblins to ambush the place at the very exact time we show up?"
"Nah. However, I'm starting to think the majestic trees that disappear here may be... you know... cut down. *shudders*"
"Shut up, if the dwarfs hear you, they may want to show us what exactly they have done with these poor trees. Besides, joke's on 'em, we brought caged mules."

EDIT: they're getting better at this! One wounded llama with its load, and one unharmed elf managed to get away! I'm impressed.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:19:49 am by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11360 on: March 13, 2011, 09:31:58 am »

"Oddom Tobulkudust, Bowyer is taken by a fey mood!"
"Oddom Tobulkudust, Bowyer has claimed a Bowyer's Workshop!"

Last time a dwarf got a mood, the result was this:

Not sure I dare be positive about this event. Here's what he claimed:
  • 1x Wood
  • 1x Rough Yellow Jaspers
  • 1x Rope Reed Fiber Cloth
I'm very interested in seeing what the Rope Reed Fiber Cloth will be used for.

EDIT:

Spoiler: The Artifact (click to show/hide)
... Should have guessed.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:37:08 am by Serio »

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11361 on: March 13, 2011, 11:53:24 am »

My fort is expanding rapidly in terms of construction - the massive pyramid over the entrance is being converted into a military complex. Barracks, bedrooms, archery towers, ballista emplacements... it's going to have them all. Even a small farm plot and stockpile so the squaddies have a local source of food and drink.

The only trouble is that since the fort barely survived a tantrum spiral in its early years, most of the illustrations seem to depict dwarves killing one another, or the god of death and suicide. The only ray of normality is my egotistical metalsmith who's still making statues of himself... I think he's going to get his own royal bedroom at this rate, because I'll fill it full of every statue of him!

Oh, and another metalsmith has just made an artifact steel figurine named after himself. I wonder if this self-naming thing is a bug?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 11:55:48 am by imperium3 »
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11362 on: March 13, 2011, 12:15:21 pm »

Doorblew is going great. I just fended off a siege, and accidently let a squad of goblins wander right in. There was only one serious injury, and no dwarf deaths, astonishingly.

One dwarf went on a one dwarf rampage against the whole squad, for some reason. He quickly got knocked unconcious. A Goblin Macelord started wailing on him with a masterwork silver flail for like ten minutes, but almost every blow was deflected by his steel armour, so he mostly suffered a hell of a lot of bruises and a few broken bones. He's in hospital now and hopefully he'll make a full recovery.

Oh, and he lost a tooth.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11363 on: March 13, 2011, 12:22:19 pm »

Just had a goblin loyalty cascade.

Two squads of ranged goblin warriors appear, crossbowgoblins/bowgoblins. I think "this is gonna be harder than I thought" with my 5 legendary soldiers, mostly because I had only one marksdwarf, one hammerdwarf, two war miners and one badly trained axedwarf, and most of my military was clad in bronze.

Then a speargoblin squad appears between both. Promptly gets slaughtered.

I decide that charging blindly would be suicide, and therefore wait for my cage traps to lighten the ranks of goblins before charging and releasing my doberman bomb.

And then the goblins leave.

EDIT: Oh, and i just saw the minerals. NOT ONE TINY BIT OF IRON ORE.

Loads of copper and tin though...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:29:55 pm by Naryar »

manboricua

• Bay Watcher
  • After the 50th Fort, I'm getting the hang of this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11364 on: March 13, 2011, 01:00:24 pm »

Embarking on a new spot, this time, my dwarfy dwarves shall prevail. Shall PREVAIL!
Loving life every second

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11365 on: March 13, 2011, 01:00:47 pm »

Nothing like slaughtering elves with my military to make my day happier.

God damned treehuggers.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11366 on: March 13, 2011, 01:09:44 pm »

I've just noticed that almost every dwarf in my fort is "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat".

I went to check what the cook had been making, and there were piles of meals made from fat, syrup, syrup, and more syrup. Some had bags of sugar thrown in as well.

I guess need to think more carefully about where I put my stockpiles. I had plenty of plump helmets, meat, and leaves they could have cooked with as well, but they went straight for the other stuff first.

A dwarf's weight doesn't affect their ability to perform does it? :/

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11367 on: March 13, 2011, 01:31:07 pm »

Dwarves have Stout Strength as a racial stereotype so i'll guess no.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11368 on: March 13, 2011, 03:39:39 pm »

It does actually.  Muscle mass and body fat act against the agility stat making them slower.  Muscle mass at least has the bonus of making somebody able to carry more before that slows them down as well.  Only benefit from fat iirc is a slight increase in insulation from the cold, and a few more inches of flesh to cut with a weapon before getting to vital bits.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11369 on: March 13, 2011, 04:30:55 pm »

Oh dear...
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 3842