Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110269 times)

c-106mc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11325 on: March 11, 2011, 10:03:00 pm »

Started my first .21 fort. It seems to be going smoothly (except for egg production). Unfortunately there are no goblins in the world I generated, so once I figure out what my fort layout will be I'll probably start a war. Dug out a sort of courtyard (I think it looks nice).

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11326 on: March 12, 2011, 01:56:37 am »

Embarked with what is supposed to be the first year of a community fort onto a terrifying desert.

Had a normal enough embarking party, except one dorf was a swordsdorf "just in case"

Turns out that one swordsdorf wasn't enough.

After one month in game I am down to swordsdorf and one lone miner, both of whom have walled themselves down into the underground with what little supplies they could drag down from the surface before everyone had gotten swarmed.

They are now both tantruming almost non-stop. Cuz niether is friends with the other, and their other friends all died on the surface and rotted, so they got pissed about that too.

The only reason those two survived is because all the dozen or so surviving skeletal camels got distracted by the geese that I brought along to provide eggs for my expedition.

This is going to be !!FUN!!
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #11327 on: March 12, 2011, 03:22:40 am »

my miner got wounded by a cave-in. he started grabbing himself to the hospital, but went unconscious... over a cage trap.

mmm... i'm thinking if i can sell my -dwarf cage- to the next caravan... !!SCIENCE!! time!

Urist McMiner has succumbed to infection

FUUUUUUUU---

Also, my new metalsmith migrant just went berserk due to failed strange mood. He asked for metal bars and rough gems. He refused to take one of the many gold, copper, nickel, silver or dragonite (modded metal) bars; same thing with my rough purple spinels and amethists.

Luckily he managed to only lightly wound a stray duckling and cause some job cancellation before my sworddwarves squad ("The perfect Swords", what an appropiate name!) totally annilhated him.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:28:15 am by Iados »

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11328 on: March 12, 2011, 06:17:03 am »

One of my woodcutters discovered an ambush and then got knocked unconcious by an arrow while he was standing on a weapon trap filled with exceptional and higher quality serrated steel discs. He was literally blown apart.

In other news, I have now created some nice shafts down to the magma sea, so that my entrance drawbridge and garbage dump has a fall directly into it. Cuts out the middle man of dumping or melting goblin crap when I can just disintegrate it.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11329 on: March 12, 2011, 06:26:27 am »

Embarked with what is supposed to be the first year of a community fort onto a terrifying desert.

Had a normal enough embarking party, except one dorf was a swordsdorf "just in case"

Turns out that one swordsdorf wasn't enough.

After one month in game I am down to swordsdorf and one lone miner, both of whom have walled themselves down into the underground with what little supplies they could drag down from the surface before everyone had gotten swarmed.

They are now both tantruming almost non-stop. Cuz niether is friends with the other, and their other friends all died on the surface and rotted, so they got pissed about that too.

The only reason those two survived is because all the dozen or so surviving skeletal camels got distracted by the geese that I brought along to provide eggs for my expedition.

This is going to be !!FUN!!

It sure sounds like it, lol. Will that be available to read somewhere?

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11330 on: March 12, 2011, 06:30:05 am »

1. There's a siege.
2. The gold devil leader, Vimeba Stuntpebble the Master of Heroes, is also here.
3. She has deadly blood.
4. A loyalty cascade has been triggered.
     4 1/2. She's gonna spill her blood everywhere.

Now I know what kind of problem I'm gonna have.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11331 on: March 12, 2011, 12:14:15 pm »

Use burrows to make sure nobody ever goes near that blood, make a water filled trench right in front of your fort (with a high traffic zone through the middle) and for the love of god use dfcleanup.exe
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11332 on: March 12, 2011, 01:47:11 pm »

That would ruin the fun.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11333 on: March 12, 2011, 01:50:54 pm »

There's a fun line between Fun and FUN.

(F.U.N= Fucking Unfair Nastiness)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11334 on: March 12, 2011, 02:10:46 pm »

My current fort is going well. I'm ignoring most of the fluff industries and focusing on military strength. I'm not using cage traps or danger rooms, and it's going well so far. It helps that my guys are fighting with steel armour and candy canes, but also that I've had very few ambushes and sieges, which is actually fairly disappointing. Just had a couple of goblin ambushes show up, they fought eachother off. Hah, morons.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11335 on: March 12, 2011, 02:37:45 pm »

Thanks for the advice, but not only had I lived that very same dilemma before and wish to avoid burrows outside of real emergencies... the gold demon, after slapping on her pursuers' noses with her human bone crown, humain nail amulet and other girly accessories, disappeared from the map along with half the siege after the first half broke all their bones falling from the Dodge-ThisŪ. No trace left from her. Nobody landed a hit on her, so no drawn blood. She also disappeared from the civilization list. Must check where she ran away to in Legends later.
Have no fear, however! The first unwanted visitor from the deep also has deadly blood. EDIT: and the second one, too.

On another note... I forgot to mention it, but once again, the siege coincided perfectly with the visit from my elven neighbours.
They all survived; their llamas didn't. They stayed a bit at the depot afterwards, probably looking pissed, as even if I wanted to buy all the stuff they brought, they had nothing but their delicate hands to carry my tons of rock crafts.  :D
I really, really like that running joke, and congratulate myself vigorously for building that trade depot outside the fort. :P

Last thing: stop making so goddamn many artifact jewelery. We have more bracelets than I have arms. Most reference each others. Screw you, guys.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:27:54 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #11336 on: March 12, 2011, 04:25:05 pm »

Yet another siege interrupted my cast-mining for the Great Obsidian Cube. Long story short, one of my militia captains ended up at the map-edge after chasing down a troll, and had a 15-strong squad of Goblin Axemen, plus a spearmaster, jump on him without a friendly in sight. The result?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I bet those elves will give me some sweet deals after seeing that.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11337 on: March 12, 2011, 04:59:20 pm »

Managed to have an ambush spawn right on top of my marksdorfs squad this time. Killed at least one outright and permanently crippled another.

I'm also one gold bar short of being actually able to fulfil my count's demands for rose gold. Now if only I could specify exactly what my metalworkers should do with it...

- This is a finely-crafted statue of Count Ustuth Vudtharlikot the dwarf in rose gold. Count Ustuth Vudtharlikot is committing a depraved act upon himself. -

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11338 on: March 12, 2011, 05:17:59 pm »

So Wheelsabbeys is going well, but the volcanic fumes seem to be having an effect on the local goblins.  Every so often, a bunch of ambushes are triggered - biggest was like seven of them - and every time, the goblins start fighting each other.  The "victors" lose their nerve and flee afterwards.  So basically goblins keep showing up to beat the shit out of each other and then run off.

Maybe it's some kind of goblin intimidation technique, I'm not sure.  We're just going to sit here next to our volcano and keep making electrum rings.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11339 on: March 12, 2011, 05:25:22 pm »

So Wheelsabbeys is going well, but the volcanic fumes seem to be having an effect on the local goblins.  Every so often, a bunch of ambushes are triggered - biggest was like seven of them - and every time, the goblins start fighting each other.  The "victors" lose their nerve and flee afterwards.  So basically goblins keep showing up to beat the shit out of each other and then run off.

Maybe it's some kind of goblin intimidation technique, I'm not sure.  We're just going to sit here next to our volcano and keep making electrum rings.

Culture #3?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 3842