Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110272 times)

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11310 on: March 11, 2011, 06:55:59 am »

I have fortified the entrance to Syrupcloisters with a wall and a moat, i'm working on a couple of towers for my (currently) lone marksdwarf to snipe from.

Its the spring of the second year and my forts population is only thirty, and we've not hit any metal whatsoever. Two migrant potters have led to a flourishing pottery industry, with a the beginnings of a beekeeping industry taking off thanks to a migrant high master beekeeper (it's an art... apparently)

Aside from that all essential rooms are carved out apart from a hospital, the expedition leader has his halls furnished with the finest siltstone (:/) but he'll have to make so till we strike some useful material.

Onto late spring and summer, may we yield much honey and syrup in the months to come!
Whatever happens, make it ironic dwarfy magma.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #11311 on: March 11, 2011, 07:11:32 am »

Just embarked with a..volcano? Magma tube? 50 z-levels tall, though there is land higher than it. And 50 levels down from the top the ground still hasn't taken up the whole map... awesome.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #11312 on: March 11, 2011, 07:23:01 am »

Syruppartner just started it's second year. Most of the fort's important facilities are dug out, but there's still so much stone to move... and with less than 20 dwarves on hand, it's taking way too long. I'm also trying to figure out the best way to irrigate my farm, since there's an underground lake right above it, and a magma sea right below it.

No I'm not gonna irrigate with magma.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #11313 on: March 11, 2011, 07:35:20 am »

No I'm not gonna irrigate with magma.

Irrigate with Obsidian!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11314 on: March 11, 2011, 08:47:15 am »

My new fortress, Tattootrade (founded by The Absolute Tool) is to be farm-based.

I got a high master metalcrafter in the first migrant wave.  He'll make a fine planter, I'm sure.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #11315 on: March 11, 2011, 10:03:45 am »

my miner got wounded by a cave-in. he started grabbing himself to the hospital, but went unconscious... over a cage trap.

mmm... i'm thinking if i can sell my -dwarf cage- to the next caravan... !!SCIENCE!! time!

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11316 on: March 11, 2011, 11:36:06 am »

Restarted to take advantage of .21 - and so Wheeledabbeys is born!  At first I didn't like the name, but now all I can think of is that image macro of the cathedral with tank treads and a cannon and, yes, that sounds pretty dwarven to me.

Found myself a volcano next to a river - nice place, although the river is called the Taut Virgin, which... well, was inevitable I guess given the Queen's apparent tendency to choose explorers based on how crazy and/or creepy they are.

The trade depot is on a lone island in a lake of fire, connected to land by bridges.  I figure this encourages the merchants to be quick about their business and really think about what matters in life.

My only problem is that the goblins are scared of the winding, trapped back entrance to the fort they're supposed to use.  One or two will step onto the bridge and get knocked into the volcano caldera, and then the rest just hang out at the door playing cards.  The door's open, it's a clear path straight inside, the dwarves have no problem pathing in and out, so I don't know what they're waiting for.  Oh well, it keeps them away from the front door, so the caravans can get in.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11317 on: March 11, 2011, 12:06:14 pm »

started a new fort with the new version to test the NO_UNDEAD tag in a different thread. , and after a little bit of work I'm growing attached to the fort. This wasn't supposed to happen...

The expedition leader was entertaining the outpost liason near the river. I see the tag "Oddom Bisolasmel, expidition leader cancels fish: Interrupted by Fox. Well, I happened to be right there watching, and all I saw was a dead fox. wait... that was fast... he has skills? No...

The entire battle was this:
- The Fox bites the expedition leader in the upper body, brusing the fat through the giant cave swallow leather clok
- The Fox latches on firmly
- the expedition leader charges at the fox! (that's attached to his chest?)
- The expedition leader punches The Fox in the head with his left hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing apart he brain
- The Fox has been knocked unconscious
- The expedition leader collides with The Fox!
The Fox is knocked over and tumbles backward!

My expedition leader is badass, and is thus nicknamed Fox Killer. No fox is going to interrupt his fishing trip again.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11318 on: March 11, 2011, 01:24:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:29:00 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11319 on: March 11, 2011, 02:17:50 pm »

Thanks to ordering just about every possible piece of meat from the diplomat last year, I got an entire caravan full of meats, and also a couple other items. Pig tail fiber clothing, or something. With 33 dwarves and over 1000 pieces of meat waiting to be cooked, I'd say we're doing pretty fine as far as food goes for quite a while. Once we get an equally stupid amount of booze, we'll actually be able to conduct seige warfare with the goblins.

If they attack before I get my field of cage traps, that is.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11320 on: March 11, 2011, 02:55:25 pm »

Thanks to ordering just about every possible piece of meat from the diplomat last year, I got an entire caravan full of meats, and also a couple other items. Pig tail fiber clothing, or something. With 33 dwarves and over 1000 pieces of meat waiting to be cooked, I'd say we're doing pretty fine as far as food goes for quite a while. Once we get an equally stupid amount of booze, we'll actually be able to conduct seige warfare with the goblins.

If they attack before I get my field of cage traps, that is.
What... you're going to drown the goblins in piles of wine-soaked meat?

Sounds like a good way to die come to think of it.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11321 on: March 11, 2011, 04:34:21 pm »

I found out goblin ambushes are perfectly synchronized with the instant elf merchants finish putting down their merchandise.
 ;D
*pets jaguar breeding pair, vulture and black bear*

And the humans, goblin sieges.
Ooooooh boy it's like Dwarfmas all over again.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:52:25 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #11322 on: March 11, 2011, 04:42:01 pm »

(amusing account of death by greed)

Pretty much exactly the same thing happened to my last Fortress, right down to the goblin siege getting wiped out by the fiery hordes. I actually drafted my last sane civilian and bridge-locked him in the control room, just so the Fun Stuff would have plenty of time to hunt down the little green bastards.

In more recent news, my Militia Commander just scored a chain of five beheadings, and rather fittingly 'doesn't really care about anything anymore'. Besides beheading, presumably.

EDIT: And the elves have a tame Giant Desert Scorpion for me. It's just what I always wanted!
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11323 on: March 11, 2011, 08:05:02 pm »

Rhesus Macaques are swarming my front entrance, scaring my woodcutters and filling my cage traps. Time to break out the crossbows.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11324 on: March 11, 2011, 08:52:22 pm »

I'm sure I'll invite the wrath of Armok for saying this, but... I have not had any dwarf deaths in this fortress yet.  And it's been over a year.   :D
I do have a guy who's melancholy, though.  And he has important friends.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 3842