Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121875 times)

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1125 on: January 27, 2010, 05:41:49 pm »

well going partway into winter and THE MERCHANTS HAVEN'T LEFT YET! they are just sitting at the depot doing nothing, despite a clear path out of the fort and having received the message they were leaving some time ago.

wait just checked them they haven't picked up any of the junk I gave them, what the hell's taking so long
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: January 27, 2010, 05:50:24 pm »

Just started building a 5 z-level underground arena with the nobles rooms having balconies with glass windows looking over it. Next to it the fire imp breeding room is being set up (modded). When there are enough fire imps, great battles between champions and them will  occur and fun will be had by all.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: January 27, 2010, 09:16:29 pm »

First seige! Whoo!
I sealed up the fort, killing a champion guard and a miller and trapping a recruit outside, but who gives a damn! :D
They sent a whole buncha' bowgoblins, though.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: January 27, 2010, 09:40:56 pm »

I want to see some Happy Fun Stuff go back to the Circus they came out of. But they won't be killed by my dwarfs, oh no. I want these clowns will be killed by an army of tamed dragons modded to reproduce and set to be the only thing between the carnival and mother earth.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: January 27, 2010, 10:06:16 pm »

Finally back to work on a megaproject fort I haven't been able to work on in over a month. I've put two months of work into it so far; hopefully I'll have it done before the new version's out. Time to go dive into a pool of 5FPS!

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: January 27, 2010, 10:21:22 pm »

well going partway into winter and THE MERCHANTS HAVEN'T LEFT YET! they are just sitting at the depot doing nothing, despite a clear path out of the fort and having received the message they were leaving some time ago.

wait just checked them they haven't picked up any of the junk I gave them, what the hell's taking so long

I've found that sometimes it takes time for them to load the wagons.... I know when I traded 115 bins worth of rock crafts (i kept the bins of course) it took them almost a whole season to load the wagon and leave.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: January 28, 2010, 12:19:35 am »

Built the magma scaffold and pumped lava up into my tower. I need to turn heat on before it will heat the stone around it, but that'll drop my fps considerably so it will be a last minute thing. However, the hot tub is officially complete. The sauna failed, the water and lava didn't make steam they just destroyed each other, so my current plan is just to put chairs there. Who needs steam when you're sitting on molten rock, right? I'm trying to come up with two more heat related things, but I'm drawing a blank. Maybe put some beds in and call them massage tables, but I dunno about the fourth. Noble death chamber?

I've met every prereq for the queen short of tribute. I have masterwork and artifact furniture prepared for her rooms, which take up an entire floor in the tower. The civ screen doesn't list a husband, so his floor isn't prepared, if he shows up I'm sol.

I have four more floors til my obsidian tower is finished. Shouldn't be too much longer now. In the meantime, I probably should finish engraving the duke consort's room. It's been too low quality for over a year now, I just haven't... given a damn. I've been completely ignoring mandates, mostly I'm worried that my haulers will start going broke once the tower is finished though I don't intend to stay that long. Once the tower is complete, I'm going to designate actual meeting areas instead of meeting zones and have a season long party or so, then archive the save and start a new fort. It's been a blast, this is my first true megaproject short of a few megatraps I made to deal with orcs in previous forts.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #1133 on: January 28, 2010, 03:11:01 am »

Went to the trouble of making clear glass for the first time; I dug my noble quarters out of the side of the local cliff, and am trying to put at least one window in each room. (This embark site has loads and loads of magnetite; if I can find some coal, it would be just about perfect resource-wise..)
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: January 28, 2010, 03:49:21 am »

I've found that sometimes it takes time for them to load the wagons.... I know when I traded 115 bins worth of rock crafts (i kept the bins of course) it took them almost a whole season to load the wagon and leave.
Ah yes.Reminds me of a time long ago (2 days) when I added 5 0's to the wagons trade capacity. They stayed for ages, I had to endure 3 seasons of 1FPS before I gave up...
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Bardum Idith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: January 28, 2010, 06:11:15 am »

After several years of building an aboveground fort with a wall surrounding 1/4 of the map, a fairly trained military with steel equipment and a legendary armorer due to a mood (first usefull artifact after some wooden crafts and bins >_<) I realized that there won't be any sieges, because my fort is enclosed by mountains and a lake  :-\

I should have looked at the map after missing my treehugging friends in the first two years...

endimiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: January 28, 2010, 08:02:40 am »

Reclaimed. 3 wood spiders spawned in my previous initial embarked and swiftly made a webbed meal out of my initial 7-man team. Orc mod really spices things up a bit :p

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: January 28, 2010, 11:30:18 am »

Not much going on.

I'm testing out an idea for my eventual flood chamber/trade depot using mechanism controlled doors. I need to find out if three standing in a row in two rows should work, and then I need to see if merchant wagons will go through opened mechanism controlled doors.

Really though, I'm fiddling around with a few ideas since I'm not exactly sure what I want to do with the flood chamber or whether I want to dig down another level to access the UG river a bit more easily.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: January 28, 2010, 03:40:07 pm »

Plenty of stuff happening. I'm churning out ridiculous amounts of high-quality trade fodder and absolutely decimating sieges with my 6 steel-chain-wearing champion wrestlers (seriously, it's a beautifully hilarious thing when a squad shows up, has three or four of its members throttled on the spot, breaks and runs, and is followed by a single dwarf, who (despite the steel) catches one, hurls it into a tree, runs after the rest of them, catches another, etc). Here I was building a drowning corridor (with separately floodable and drainable compartments) because I didn't want to put my awesome steelclad dorfs in harm's way...

I'm also trying to perfect a drainage system for said corridor despite lack of forethought (the level immediately under it is full of stuff my dwarves use a lot) and I've finally begun draining the pools around the fort's surface level.

My first attempt at this involved building a pump next to the pool and allowing one of my several legendary pumpers (I have a bunch of them set up in the barracks) to have at it. However she dropped her baby in the pool and fled due to dangerous terrain; I tried teleporting the poor bastard out with Dwarf Companion (seriously that's not even an amusing death), didn't work for some reason but the kid stopped drowning so I disassembled the pump, built a massive stone pipe with a windmill on top, reassembled the pump and cackled like a madman as the pool emptied and the pumper RUSHED in to save her bebeh.

So yeah we're taking that approach now. Once the pools are dry I'll roof them and use them as buffer space for the drainage system.

I'm pretty pleased with this, as it's only my second fort ever, and the first one phailed when a siege got through (due to no military at all and inadequate traps). Or something. 'S been a while.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:43:16 pm by Rat Of Wisdom »
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: January 28, 2010, 04:41:51 pm »

Plenty of stuff happening. I'm churning out ridiculous amounts of high-quality trade fodder and absolutely decimating sieges with my 6 steel-chain-wearing champion wrestlers (seriously, it's a beautifully hilarious thing when a squad shows up, has three or four of its members throttled on the spot, breaks and runs, and is followed by a single dwarf, who (despite the steel) catches one, hurls it into a tree, runs after the rest of them, catches another, etc). Here I was building a drowning corridor (with separately floodable and drainable compartments) because I didn't want to put my awesome steelclad dorfs in harm's way...

I'm also trying to perfect a drainage system for said corridor despite lack of forethought (the level immediately under it is full of stuff my dwarves use a lot) and I've finally begun draining the pools around the fort's surface level.

My first attempt at this involved building a pump next to the pool and allowing one of my several legendary pumpers (I have a bunch of them set up in the barracks) to have at it. However she dropped her baby in the pool and fled due to dangerous terrain; I tried teleporting the poor bastard out with Dwarf Companion (seriously that's not even an amusing death), didn't work for some reason but the kid stopped drowning so I disassembled the pump, built a massive stone pipe with a windmill on top, reassembled the pump and cackled like a madman as the pool emptied and the pumper RUSHED in to save her bebeh.

So yeah we're taking that approach now. Once the pools are dry I'll roof them and use them as buffer space for the drainage system.

I'm pretty pleased with this, as it's only my second fort ever, and the first one phailed when a siege got through (due to no military at all and inadequate traps). Or something. 'S been a while.

You need to build a wall around the pump with a door that will keep water out of the working side. That will let your dwarves safely pump the pools dry. Of course, safe isn't dwarfy, but neither is drowning in a pool of water because your planner was too stupid to build in pitiful safeguards...
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 3842