Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109275 times)

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11070 on: March 02, 2011, 12:46:07 am »

I just concluded a brief test fort, intended to experiment with a single lever alternator. I suspect there's a much simpler design than the one I used, and it was remarkably effective. Basically, the lever was linked up to two gear assemblies in such a way that one would always be disconnected, and it would switch between the two depending on the lever position. This allowed me to alternate active pumps, which triggered alternating pressure plates, which swapped which bridge was up and which was down.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11071 on: March 02, 2011, 01:17:36 am »

Can we crush people by putting them on the bottom of a 1X1 shaft, and pitting an object onto them? Cos' if so then I have a killer idea for getting rid of nobles.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

mszegedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11072 on: March 02, 2011, 01:20:13 am »

I have recently installed an insta-self-destruct mechanism. It took literally hundreds of mechanisms and more pumps than I'd care for, but I am now able to instantaneously flood any or only room I care to with magma. The fun part is just leaving it there. I have just built my ninth trade depot. It is the only accessible one.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11073 on: March 02, 2011, 01:25:40 am »

My fortress had died of thirst. Because they were too stupid to live. An outpost liason was trapped in with us. I drafted almost everyone into the military to attack him (seemed like a crazy last resort cannibal thing to do). My whole military was killed by him, he didn't take a single noteworthy wound. Then he went berserk and attacked a farmer, Sigun Heronet. She already had four kills, and by some miracle of fate killed the liason, earning her the title of Sigun Heronet the Bravery of Sun. If she can deconstruct the wall closing my fort from the rest of the world before she starves, I might abandon the fort and let her go. Wierdest thing was, I saw her name when we began, it stuck out from every other Urist in the starting seven. She just might live to see another day.

EDIT: She survives! No wonder I remembered her, she was the expedition leader. She is now a former member and enemy of all of her previous civs. I should write a story about that, it's too good. Unfortunately, procrastination says no.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:33:18 am by Stone Wera »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11074 on: March 02, 2011, 02:15:11 am »

Another useless but interesting artifact- shortly after naming my High Master Gem Cutter to Captain of the Guard, he became possessed, grabbing red tourmalines, groundhog leather, yak bone, naked mole dog bone, and Elephant Bone[60]. The result is a 63.6k dofbuck red tourmaline trumpet.

What amused me was the image on the trumpet; an image of Babin (deity of laws and justice depicted as a male dwarf) and dwarves. Babin looks offended. Babin is surrounded by the dwarves.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11075 on: March 02, 2011, 04:00:21 am »

Just for kicks I've decided to do a 10k points embark using elves. Looking pretty elvish it turned out.

Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11076 on: March 02, 2011, 03:09:12 pm »

I just, I kid you not, had a forgotten beast pull off a Big Damn Heroes moment. I was beseiged by goblins, my military was dead, my anti-goblin river-diverter was incomplete, and due to construction on the diverter, the waterfall in the meeting hall was dry. As morale dropped and the tantrum spiral started, I acted out of desperation and created a couple squads of civilains who were going to try and take on crossbowman and pikeman with their fists. Just as they charged out the door, a giant spider made of grime and filth showed up, wandered out of the caverns, and attacked the goblins! even managed to kill a couple before going down. I was later able to break the seige, and I don't doubt it was thanks to the valiant efforts of that hideous monster.

One I clean the piles of corpses out of the halls and possibly get this fortress back on it's feet, I'm building a monument to that thing.

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11077 on: March 02, 2011, 03:35:44 pm »

My fort.... I Just killed everyone.

The reason, hmmmm, got bored with them.  :D
Art is a Blast

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11078 on: March 02, 2011, 03:41:52 pm »

Doing some cave-ins for shits and giggles.

All primed!

FOOM

Hee hee. I love this game.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11079 on: March 02, 2011, 03:59:43 pm »

After the completely accidental flooding of my last fort, I have broken ground on a beautiful new site. My entrance is nestled deep in the heart of a mountain valley with a warm climate, plenty of trees, and a brook running through the only entrance. Once the cliffs have been walled off, it should be very secure. As an added bonus, there is a volcano about 29 z-levels below the entrance level of my fortress, and early digging has found a walled-in complex of lizardmen and zombie frogmen 26 levels down. There is no coal of any sort on this map, nor is there flux stone, and although the climate is nice, there is little flat ground for trees to grow on. There are, however, very rich veins of native copper, native silver and hematite, which should do well enough until I can bore down to the HFS. As for steel, the only I'll be getting will shipped from the Mountainhome. This does give me some added safety, however, as the copious amounts of iron and copper ore make goblinite harvesting redundant, allowing me to use more destructive defenses. On another note, I will likely be forced to make the fortress self-sustainable, as there simply isn't enough level ground outside for efficient farming. The supply situation is such that, barring major immigration, this goal should be possible before the second winter.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mszegedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11080 on: March 02, 2011, 04:04:59 pm »

After the completely accidental flooding of my last fort, I have broken ground on a beautiful new site. My entrance is nestled deep in the heart of a mountain valley with a warm climate, plenty of trees, and a brook running through the only entrance. Once the cliffs have been walled off, it should be very secure. As an added bonus, there is a volcano about 29 z-levels below the entrance level of my fortress, and early digging has found a walled-in complex of lizardmen and zombie frogmen 26 levels down. There is no coal of any sort on this map, nor is there flux stone, and although the climate is nice, there is little flat ground for trees to grow on. There are, however, very rich veins of native copper, native silver and hematite, which should do well enough until I can bore down to the HFS. As for steel, the only I'll be getting will shipped from the Mountainhome. This does give me some added safety, however, as the copious amounts of iron and copper ore make goblinite harvesting redundant, allowing me to use more destructive defenses. On another note, I will likely be forced to make the fortress self-sustainable, as there simply isn't enough level ground outside for efficient farming. The supply situation is such that, barring major immigration, this goal should be possible before the second winter.

...I will love you if you if you give me a seed.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11081 on: March 02, 2011, 05:52:04 pm »

I finally got the hang of playing Elf Fort and it's quite a pleasant changes. Toady did really well with the "at peace with wild life" ethic for an example. Chimps ignored my elves, taking whatever they pleased and warthogs didnt run away from my hunting parties till too late. On top of that, despite supposedly being a challenging race, their arrows are just so damn good vs unarmored foes.

Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11082 on: March 02, 2011, 06:15:19 pm »

Me blathering about a great embark

Sorry, I would if I hadn't accidentally deleted the save a few minutes ago when I was clearing out a massive amount of old seasonal saves.

Serves me right for being happy about finding an amazing embark... >.>

3. Run Resize Enable

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11083 on: March 02, 2011, 06:18:29 pm »

Me blathering about a great embark

Sorry, I would if I hadn't accidentally deleted the save a few minutes ago when I was clearing out a massive amount of old seasonal saves.

gamelog.txt?
if you dont clean it, it could save up many entries, probably the world gen seeds are among it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11084 on: March 02, 2011, 07:09:25 pm »

gamelog.txt?
if you dont clean it, it could save up many entries, probably the world gen seeds are among it.

Wow, I didn't know that existed... :) Here's the seed for that world:
 Seed: 79915314
 History Seed: 1635288550
 Name Seed: 3756006844
 Creature Seed: 112973448
Small world, edited for increased # of volcanos.
I don't remember which volcano I embarked on, though. I also have the seed for another, similar world with an embark site I do remember, which has larger quantities of pretty much every ore, flux stone, as well as a surface-level volcano, if you want it.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 3842