Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109143 times)

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11010 on: February 27, 2011, 04:51:21 pm »

I finall found adamantinium for the first time!!! When do I breach the gates of hell?
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11011 on: February 27, 2011, 04:57:06 pm »

Whenever you want I guess, when you mine adamantine you gamble with ending your fort one way or another (either by direct destruction, or the ravages of FPS death) so be warned.

-MB

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11012 on: February 27, 2011, 05:10:43 pm »

I decided to replace the dwarves with Cyclopses and started a fort.  The Cyclopses moved incredibly quickly and were doing alright.  Then I made armor for my military.....  Suffice to say, most of the iron armor pieces weighed between 1000 to 2000 stones.  My military is so slow that they have trouble responding to a kobold that appears right next to them.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11013 on: February 27, 2011, 07:20:29 pm »

I would do tha', but then I'd have to cut off my beard and grow pointy sissy ears like sum sorta elf!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:37:38 pm by CinnibarMan »
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11014 on: February 27, 2011, 08:41:55 pm »

I found a really really nice embark. Small waterfall, deep metals, shallow native platinum abound.  I didn't know platinum occurs in such large quantaties now.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11015 on: February 27, 2011, 08:52:45 pm »

Pretty much everything occurs in large quantities now. You rarely get actual metals, but when you do, you get shitloads of it.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11016 on: February 27, 2011, 08:56:57 pm »

Indeed, I've noticed the same sort of thing (not that I didn't get craploads of metals in the other verisons).  You seem to get metal less frequently, and have fewer varieties of it (all just from personal observation) but you do get a good amount (in one map I got countless amounts of copper and in my current fort I have huge amounts of iron).

-MB

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11017 on: February 27, 2011, 08:58:20 pm »

Yeah, this mountain I embarked on was partly composed of galena. Yeah, there was that much.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11018 on: February 27, 2011, 09:00:22 pm »

Hell, you can even get shittons of native aluminum if you're lucky. If you don't get it, aluminum is higly reactive and is almost never found in its native form in nature, you have to electrolyze it from bauxite, and even then I'm FAIRLY sure a thin coat of aluminum oxide forms on it quickly as a sort of shield against corrosion, etc.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11019 on: February 27, 2011, 09:11:24 pm »

Tombvoiced just fought off a goblin siege with minimal loss of life. (To us). Hooray!
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Ahasver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11020 on: February 27, 2011, 09:16:39 pm »

Today I learned that tantrum spirals can be pretty well recovered from. Although I ended up filling about 138 coffins today (t'was a result of a mix up of crops- I thought dimple cups could be brewed, and I heavily relied upon that assumption), I now have about 20 fairly happy migrants, that came despite the ravenous riots. For a while I was considering abandoning but I think it will be pretty fun to play in a fortress designed for about 100 dwarves with such a small crew. I'm brain storming about what to do with a very tall flooded cavern. I'm thinking that I'll strip mine the natural columns and pave a floor across the underground lake and build a city on top of it. There's enough vertical building space for generously spaced apartments and there will always be a ready supply of water. I've avoided any city-like designs so far in my DF experience because I obviously didn't want to created an undwarven monstrosity on the surface, but I believe now is an appropriate time for firsts.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11021 on: February 27, 2011, 09:36:07 pm »

Goblins decided to send ambush squads.  Unfortunately for them they decided to send them at the same time the orcs did.  Orcs and goblins are at war.

Pretty much ended up putting my military on alert for no reason because they basically slaughtered eachother wholesale on a bridge far from my fortress and caused eachother's mutual retreat.  Only a single axegob got close enough to my fortress to kill a rope-puppy before getting filled with so much ammunition from my walls to make him a challenge to remove from the floor.

Woo, free goblinite.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

c-106mc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: February 27, 2011, 10:27:22 pm »

Started a new .19 fortress, it's been very strange. My civilization doesn't have plump helmets, pig tails, or sweet pods, so I only have one underground crop I can brew. I've run out of booze, and dwarves are getting upset. On the upside, I have a lot of cheese.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11023 on: February 27, 2011, 11:37:20 pm »

Started a new .19 fortress, it's been very strange. My civilization doesn't have plump helmets, pig tails, or sweet pods, so I only have one underground crop I can brew. I've run out of booze, and dwarves are getting upset. On the upside, I have a lot of cheese.

Sounds like you genned a world without cave systems, so underground crops don't exist.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: February 27, 2011, 11:44:42 pm »

Despite my best efforts, I was unable to keep my crippled mayor happy and he went insane in his hospital bed. In a berserk rage, he killed the 5 other convalescent dwarves in their beds, crippled the chief medical dwarf when he rushed in to check on the commotion, burst out of the hospital and killed a woodcutter with his bare hands before the militia commander was able to stop his rampage.

It seems that the trauma of murdering his old friend was enough to make my militia commander lose it, and he also went mad, and was shortly cut down by his own squadmates. The madness is spreading like a disease as miserable dwarves go berserk, attacking everything in their path. Attempts to get a friendless loner to the emergency bunker were foiled by a rampaging herbalist with an axe and a deathwish. The population of the fortress has dropped by 23 in the last 4 days in game, and all of my legendary dwarves are among the fallen (apart from the Legendary Weaver, and he's nursing a broken arm in a corpse filled hospital, waiting for a dead doctor to heal his wounds.)

FUN fact: 6 dwarves insane, all of them berserk. Never seen that before.

EDIT: Oh god, an armorsmith just got a fell mood, claimed a magma forge and butchered a baby on the anvil. Upon further viewing, her husband was the mayor and the baby she murdered was her only daughter. She has been quite content lately.

EDIT2: She made Desorutheg, "The Entrancing Cancer", a dwarven bone chest. She then quite calmly walked through the swarms of tantruming and insane peasants to go to the quarters she used to share with her husband and daughter, and went to sleep.

In other news, the only bridge out of Standardelbows was toppled, meaning everyone is trapped inside. My milker/cheeser went berserk and murdered my trapped sheep and ducks, as well as a few dwarves who tried to return the fleeing animals to their pasture. And the last dwarf with any combat expertise just went melancholy. It is no longer a question of if, but when.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 11:59:56 pm by monk12 »
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 3842