Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108760 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10935 on: February 24, 2011, 11:19:48 pm »

I've found out that im exporting terror to goblins and in return they've been offering me vengeance.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10936 on: February 25, 2011, 12:00:04 am »

I've found out that im exporting terror to goblins and in return they've been offering me vengeance.

Wow. Usually the game claims it's the other way around.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10937 on: February 25, 2011, 12:03:04 am »

Trying to capture a flock of geese and a flock of ganders.

edit:

Now some dwarf came in with like 3 stray reindeer.

Renaming him santa.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:09:50 am by kyle902 »

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10938 on: February 25, 2011, 01:33:51 am »

So, in 31.19, the livestock are the most dangerous animals...?

Makes a change from FBs...

Anyway, my Windows 7, 4 GB, i5 new laptop is in being repaired for the 3RD time in 6 months (think twice about Asus reliability) so I'm back on the old 6 year old celeron 1.2 GB one.

Axepraise, which was running at ~90 FPS is now at ~25.  Well, I'll just keep it ticking over until I get it back.

Anyway, Minotaur alert!!!  Is it disappointing that I didn't activate the burrow, and just watched it run into the nearest cage trap?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10939 on: February 25, 2011, 06:56:35 am »

My latest fort after re-installing DF on my laptop, and everythings going good, only the original 7 dwarves but I've got the bare bones of a decent fortress. Then Akidat the Sasquatch came along. My Grower is killed, and everyone else is drafted to the military. Three die, and the last three are trapped out in the wilderness with broken ankles, legs, feet, wrists and arms. Akidat is running along, happy as can be. My four dogs are just ignoring him, and going after a group of racoons. Slowly the remaining dwarves die of thirst out in the harsh winter. The Fortress Godkingdom of Gold is no more. I attempted to reclaim but the sasquatch was still there. Didn't last five minutes. That sasquatch is such a bitch.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10940 on: February 25, 2011, 08:19:01 am »

Go after it in adventurer
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: February 25, 2011, 08:26:43 am »

All is well in Drunkenunion, we have food, drink, newly discovered magma pipes and even some goethite to make iron with. The entrance has a few cage traps to stop the kobold thieves after the recent ambushes.

Just got a migrant wave and now I know my mountain homes love me. They have sent a legendary armourer. I have now received both a grand master weapon-smith and a legendary armourer. Plus another 20 migrants, half of which can be thrown into the military to wear the masterwork stuff I'll soon be producing.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: February 25, 2011, 10:02:52 am »

If Salvespeak dies, I will reclaim it. We are out of drink and are struggling to make barrels. 0.31.19's ability to plant on soil is helping greatly.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:09:07 pm by JacenHanLovesLegos »
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10943 on: February 25, 2011, 11:20:04 am »

Shieldgrasping is full of turkeys. I have one gigantic, muscular gobbler leashed up, and at least half a dozen hens tucked away on nestboxes.

There was some cause for concern when the second migrant wave included a bull calf, a cavy pup, and somebody's pet sheep, but so far the pasture I've set up has fed the first two (the bull has grown up and will die soon), and the sheep's been following her owner around the fort without any ill effects. I even sheared her at one point.

No booze on the first caravan, BOOOOOOOO. But everybody made it through winter all right. Plenty of barrels, plenty of cage traps. We're doing all right, at least until the first ambush/megabeast shows up.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: February 25, 2011, 01:38:52 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

OMG OMG OMG oh wait... just the goblins and trolls and goblins and trolls. Did I mention goblins? And trolls?
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: February 25, 2011, 02:21:20 pm »

I'm playing fortress defense and had just finished off a dark strangler siege. Thankfully my embark spot had iron so I now have some iron serrated disc and giant axe weapon traps, survivors head into cage traps.  About ten seconds after I congratulate myself I get a message, a vile force of darkness has arrived!  Tigermen this time.  Okay I'll just get everyone back inside.  An ambush!  Curse them!  The tigers found some gobbos!  An ambush!  Curse them!  The tigers war jaguars found another ambush on the other side of the map.  This is getting interesting.  A vile force of darkness has arrived!  Frogmen!  Almost entirely mounted on war animals!  All I have to do is watch the carnage unfold and mop up the survivors.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: February 25, 2011, 02:49:34 pm »

I have remembered the error of embarking in a place with no river.  Where what little water there is freezes half the year.  And not having enough barrels.  And sending undertrained soldiers into battle against two ambushes.

So, yeah, a third of my military died, a third is wounded (Including my legendary miners, who I drafted to scare them away when the humans didn't leave my depot fast enough to scare the gobbos off), and everyone is beginning to dehydrate.  I managed to get enough barrels and booze made for the unwounded, but...

Laid low by thirst and two ambushes...
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #10947 on: February 25, 2011, 04:50:00 pm »

Fuuuuuuuuuuu-

A roughly 10-tile floor line of the dragon project's back just collapsed on itself, puncturing every level and falling out of the bottom. 2 dead dwarves and a bunch of reconstruction, but overall integrity's good. A doctor and a weaponsmith... The fort seems to be experiencing brain drain, likely caused by dropping 20 levels and getting impaled on a tree unstable economical shifts.

EDIT: Screw grieving, they were both cat owners.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 05:10:24 pm by SlimyMarmot »

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10948 on: February 25, 2011, 07:29:04 pm »

I'm setting up a doomsday bunker that's completely sealed off from the rest of the fort. Four dwarves will live inside, and if anything Fun happens to the fort, they can stay alive until migrants come to take back Tangledarrows.
An update: a vile force of darkness arrived in Tangledarrows. My military sucked so I closed the drawbridge, trapping a few unlucky dwarves outside, who were then cut into pieces by the goblin forces. All the barrels were sitting just outside the gate, so it wasn't long before we ran out of booze. Citizens were rioting in the streets, so it was clear something had to be done.

The plan was simple: unleash an unholy army of demons from the depths of the earth to battle the goblins. Our two enemies would destroy each other (and likely most of the fort), but 4 dwarves were still sealed away in the Doomsday bunker, so Tangledarrows would live. We sent a miner deep into the bowels of the earth, through a passage filled with unbearable heat and and the shrieks of dark, undwarven things. We never heard from him again. Soon, demonic creatures came up from the tunnel and began slaughtering dwarves left and right. We opened the drawbridge and goblins began pouring in from the other side. Soon, in the main dining hall, the two evil forces converged and killed the rest of the dwarves. The halls were thick with smoke and the stench of rotting corpses. They then turned on each other, the demons killing the goblins before they could escape.

Some time later, even more goblins arrived. With them was the leader of their civilization: Ciwa the Badger Fiend. For reasons unknown, his army turned on him and after a lengthy battle, he was struck down. They then stormed into the fort to battle the demonic horde. Most of them were burned alive, but several managed to escape.

Meanwhile, sealed away in their bunker, the four remaining dwarves are beginning to get restless and unhappy. They are tired of living in cramped conditions, eating only withered plump helmets. They swear they can hear the ghosts of their dead friends.

And some migrants have arrived.

Trippin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: February 25, 2011, 08:27:14 pm »

things are going well in earthenglazed. i started a fort in .19 and luckily hematite is abundant. things have been uneventful, until my bees attracted a goblin ambush and i was caught with my pants down. my small iron armored military fought the goblins piecemeal, luckily one military injured and a dead baby shield. the goblins kill some water buffalos and retreat with no goblin casualties... odd... well things are quiet and i continue work on the undercity. then a minotaur arrives and i panic yet again. i send out my soldiers and instantly a  speardwarf gets his skull punched in, then a axedwarf. at this time hes wailing on a recruit when a axedwarf comes in and strikes it with his silver axe, wounding it and sending it on the run. he lands many more hits until the rest of the military catches up and surround it. my militia commander then steals the glory by thrusting her iron spear into its brain. things have been quiet, and a memorial is being built where the minotaur fell for the two, along with their tomb below. golden sarcophagi are to be used, as well as the militarys attendance in the funeral.
I imagine that every fortress will eventually become a roiling mass of naked, muddy beardballs so fat they have to travel by rolling around.
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 3842