Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122147 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1080 on: January 22, 2010, 04:29:26 am »

Also, my Countess has been prohibiting the export of Bins for several years now...I might arrange to let her have some Fun.

I don't understand why this is a problem. Aren't you better off not exporting the bin itself in the first place, usually?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 22, 2010, 04:57:08 am »

Started a 0-point-on-embark challenge. Got some farming goinga dn until now my dwarves lived off berries and turtle. Luckily I've just struck a rich vein of Rhesus Macaque. Now I just hope the traders bring me that pick....

EDIT: dwarves brought me a masterwork pick that I couldn't hope to afford with my few bone crafts. At least I got a few logs, now I can make a barrel and actually have more than murky water for my dwarves to drink...

EDIT2: Ah, of course the barrel lands in the raw fish stockpile. I like this game.

EDIT3: OF course windows decided I needed to reboot without saving my game... :(
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:26:37 am by Drecon »

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 22, 2010, 11:13:05 am »

Also, my Countess has been prohibiting the export of Bins for several years now...I might arrange to let her have some Fun.

I don't understand why this is a problem. Aren't you better off not exporting the bin itself in the first place, usually?
I think his problem is that it sorta prevents the bins (filled with trade goods) from being sent to the depot. Granted, this can be solved by turning off "culling on mandates" and then simply not trading the bins themselves, but still.

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 22, 2010, 12:39:45 pm »

Had a stupid amount of fun last night catching fire snakes and make liquid fire from them.  Yes I know it's pretty pointless.  Even with a masterwork green vial the whole shebang isn't worth more than 750 dwarfbucks while a single piece of masterwork plate is worth 12,000, but it's something different to do and it provides a little challenge to get the things caught and processed before some dwarf comes up and eats it.  Seriously guys, this isn't the Amazon and you aren't Bear Grylls, go get a lavish meal from the stockpile.

Sadly, some dwarf claimed a firefly to eat and now I can't tame it.  But I still have hopes for getting the fluffy wamblers on the map.

Waffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 22, 2010, 03:49:49 pm »

Elf bastards arrived with two carrier-animals. Gobbos decided to make a ambush. Gobbos kill the elves and I get free food and lots of stuff.
.... I caught a snatcher with a child once that way.  Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.
Yo, we heard you liked captives.  So we put a cage in your cage, so you can capture while you're capturing!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 22, 2010, 03:55:30 pm »

I think his problem is that it sorta prevents the bins (filled with trade goods) from being sent to the depot. Granted, this can be solved by turning off "culling on mandates" and then simply not trading the bins themselves, but still.

If you're in a desert and are scarce on wood, that is a good reason to keep the bins. I've gotten into the habit of just recycling the bins rather than sell them, saves on making them.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #1086 on: January 22, 2010, 10:36:43 pm »

I have no shortage of wood on this map and prefer to hit enter a few times to unload my goods on hapless traders rather than having to press "down-enter-down-enter-down-enter-down-enter-down-enter..."
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 22, 2010, 10:55:26 pm »

Grar. I've finished building my newest pyramid, all 8 levels of green glass majesty, capped with an exceptionally well made statue. And now the dwarf who put the statue up there is stuck, unable or unwilling to come down. I'm building scaffolding to retrieve him, but it'll be a nuisance. I'm beginning to think I should build these things by halves; build one half, cap it, build the other half. It'd be easier to deconstruct the scaffolding and then build the pyramid, than to build fiddly scaffolding that might fall through the pyramid. Bloody nuisance. Half a mind to let him starve up there.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 23, 2010, 01:45:30 am »

I have no shortage of wood on this map and prefer to hit enter a few times to unload my goods on hapless traders rather than having to press "down-enter-down-enter-down-enter-down-enter-down-enter..."

I used to spend a lot of time in MMOs.  and From it I have the Logitech G13 Gameboard.  I hate trading my bins, so now I have a button on there that does "down" "enter" and repeats it as long as I hold it down.  I'm thinking about making several of them... especially when my megaprojects get under way... 10x10 block of floors?  one button, instead of b>C>f>u>u>u>u>u>u>u>u>k>k>k>k>k>k>k>k>k  There are a lot of macros I plan to start using for it

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 23, 2010, 02:39:22 am »

So my current fort, "Paddlelocks" is on a map where water freezes during the late fall till late spring.  Due to a missed placed channel tile my moat flooded from the brook that passes thru my fort. So the first fall rolled around and my starting seven frantically attempt to dig out the now frozen water in my moat and build the outer wall when A Vile force darkness has arrived. Im now frantically hoping that one of the dwarves will decide to pull the damn lever and close the gate to the entrance of my fort....

Edit: WOOT! Just the orcs were just tiles away from my entrance when someone finally decided to pull that damn lever!  I also now have a terrified kobold thief trapped in my fort!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:42:59 am by Tcei »
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 23, 2010, 03:27:44 am »

I built through a waterfall today.

Let me explain. I have a two, maybe three Z-level drop in the river on my map. I dug out the area for my dining room, dug out underneath the river before the drop, built constructed floors to walk through this dug area, put grates on the waterfall tiles, and walled up the previous entrance. All dwarves going to eat get some nice, all natural mist, and I have no danger of flooding.

I was going to build a giant table and chair for Armok to use as a personal dining room, but got sidetracked.

Oh, and I was just about to trade for an anvil (silk crafts = easy lightweight profit, when my idiot broker decided to go help build the road I was making. I lost all of autumn's progress savescumming that...
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #1091 on: January 23, 2010, 10:56:20 am »

Had a bunch of goblins ambush a series of traps in my fort. It was rather hilarious to watch.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 23, 2010, 11:05:06 am »

I built through a waterfall today.

Let me explain. I have a two, maybe three Z-level drop in the river on my map. I dug out the area for my dining room, dug out underneath the river before the drop, built constructed floors to walk through this dug area, put grates on the waterfall tiles, and walled up the previous entrance. All dwarves going to eat get some nice, all natural mist, and I have no danger of flooding.

I was going to build a giant table and chair for Armok to use as a personal dining room, but got sidetracked.

Oh, and I was just about to trade for an anvil (silk crafts = easy lightweight profit, when my idiot broker decided to go help build the road I was making. I lost all of autumn's progress savescumming that...

You could have set it to anybody can trade rather than only broker can trade, or removing the brokers labors....

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: January 23, 2010, 11:36:42 am »

Or using "[r]emove Cre" to tell your broker to find another job.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: January 23, 2010, 11:43:59 am »

I left my fortress running on it's own for too long and all my dwarves started getting thirsty because I hadn't set up the stills yet. :P

EDIT: Also, my dwarves are naming some batmen.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:51:50 am by Jack_Bread »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 3842