Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108010 times)

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10755 on: February 14, 2011, 10:37:54 pm »

I've got a magma pipe 57 z levels below the ground level of my fort.

Any method more efficient than getting 57 pumps to corkscrew it up?

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10756 on: February 14, 2011, 10:56:59 pm »

Build the fort down there. Have workers sleep and eat down there.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10757 on: February 14, 2011, 10:59:05 pm »

Easy--dig a staircase down 56 levels, carve out a room, channel around the edges, and designate it as a meeting zone. Wait for all your dwarves to arrive, then remove the stair--wait, what did you say you're trying to do again?
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10758 on: February 14, 2011, 10:59:47 pm »

another sustainable method?
nope.
if you only need a small amount, you could try piston method.

but you can always make building requiring magma near the pipe's opening.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10759 on: February 14, 2011, 11:15:32 pm »

My magma sea is ~150 z-levels below ground.
Currently, my pump stack is 26 pumps tall   :(
Casualties so far: 1 magma crab

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10760 on: February 15, 2011, 01:25:35 am »

My fortress has reached a critical mass of about 110 dwarves. Since I'd like my FPS to stay above 50, pretty much all new migrants are unwanted. However, I've thought of a fun way to put the migrants to use instead of killing them outright.

My main fortress military consists of 20 dwarves: 10 steel-clad axedwarves, and 10 marksdwarves.

What I plan to do is draft all new migrants into the military, and place them in a burrow separate from the main fortress, underneath and connected to a watchtower on the countryside.

I plan on using them in order to keep watch over my surface workers and deal with (or at least delay) any ambushes. They will be my first-response teams to any threat on the surface.

I just don't want to deal with the headache of producing steel equipment for the 30 or so dwarves that will make up this rag-tag militia, so they will be poorly equipped. I will provide some equipment, but they will mainly be using whatever weapons and armor they can scavenge from the goblins. I don't really care for their combat survivability anyway, since this is an alternative to killing the migrants straight away.

Who knows, maybe some of the dwarves will prove their worth in combat and join the ranks of the fortress elite. Most of them will probably die. Either way, they're put to good use.

Nazguran

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10761 on: February 15, 2011, 01:58:02 am »

Everything was nice and peaceful in my little fortress, i had no trouble with animals, and when i turned my attention to something else, outside of the game, the walls were covered with blood as a grizzly bear invaded and started making havoc. A brave wrestler punched it to death on top of my Longland grass farm.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #10762 on: February 15, 2011, 02:03:51 am »

My only military dwarf decided the best way to avoid danger was to jump off a cliff.

that danger happened to be a skeletal elephant so its understandable.

Elephants: 3 us: ... I hate them...
What do you think? Yes? No?

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10763 on: February 15, 2011, 02:15:57 am »

I just noticed that I have a Tigerman engraver, so Imma train him to legendary status.

Speaking of which, I recently acquired a Tigerman hunter.  I dunno what to do with 'im...
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10764 on: February 15, 2011, 09:58:26 am »

Parts 62 and 63 of my LP are up.

The way the law works in Dwarf Fortress makes no god damn sense. I thought th captain of the guard only gave beatings when a prison had not been set up. But Goden dishes them out regarldess of whether or not an alternative form of punishment exists.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10765 on: February 15, 2011, 11:26:34 am »

I think there is still a chance of a beating for very minor crimes, I have seen beatings get issued for attacking dogs and stuff even with a jail present.   The justice system seems to be Beating<Jail Time<Beating + Jail time<Hammer.   Since nobles complain about a sentence being reduced if there's no jail and a beating happens instead.

So even if you have a jail, beatings can still happen.  And dwarves don't seem to like pulling their punches when it comes to them.  It's why I always give my fortress guards low quality maces or modded in wooden billy clubs.  The downside is that they aren't as effective at fighting a real threat.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10766 on: February 15, 2011, 11:33:34 am »

Last night five goblins got in, because nobody would pull a damn lever, and killed 42 dwarves in 3 minutes. By the time they were all killed, I had 4 dorfs on the blade's edge of madness and one lying limbless in the scorching heat out in Skeleton Camel Land.

4 dwarves braved the miasma with thousand-yard stares to bury all 42 of their kin, plus the caravan, with the help of some migrants who showed up just in time to have a thumb pointed towards the piles of decay and a grunt of "Welcome home. Start packing coffins."

Wonder why no migrants have shown up since.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10767 on: February 15, 2011, 12:17:42 pm »

Nothing happens, boring, boring stuff.
Dragon! First dragon ever for me!
Half of squad dead, dragon butchered.
Minutes later - Ettin!
Next dwarfs dead.
Seconds later dark strangler siege - nothing interesting. And elf siege showed when my military where outside.
Entire army killed/in hospital.
Goblin siege. Ooops. Everybody not very useful to army.
Result 80->33 in one month, no military.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10768 on: February 15, 2011, 12:20:33 pm »

Parts 62 and 63 of my LP are up.

The way the law works in Dwarf Fortress makes no god damn sense. I thought th captain of the guard only gave beatings when a prison had not been set up. But Goden dishes them out regarldess of whether or not an alternative form of punishment exists.
May Stinthad rest in peace!
Unless she is somehow still alive.
I never realized until your LP how much dwarven justice was completely screwed up. And hilarious in its own, mad way.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #10769 on: February 15, 2011, 12:36:11 pm »

Last night five goblins got in, because nobody would pull a damn lever, and killed 42 dwarves in 3 minutes. By the time they were all killed, I had 4 dorfs on the blade's edge of madness and one lying limbless in the scorching heat out in Skeleton Camel Land.

4 dwarves braved the miasma with thousand-yard stares to bury all 42 of their kin, plus the caravan, with the help of some migrants who showed up just in time to have a thumb pointed towards the piles of decay and a grunt of "Welcome home. Start packing coffins."

Wonder why no migrants have shown up since.
I can't imagine...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 3842