Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107708 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10695 on: February 13, 2011, 12:14:50 am »

In the fortress of Bannerleague, I have a Trapper working full-time to keep the food stockpiles free of vermin.  This has resulted in a large number of vermin being caught and stuffed in a cage.  Not one to waste a potential resource, I had as many as possible of them tamed, then decided to make them available for adoption should any of my dwarves take a liking to them.

My chief farmer immediately adopted every tame Giant Roach in the place.  He's now walking around naked except for a coating of live roaches wandering around on his body.  I suppose I should be grateful it wasn't the cook.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10696 on: February 13, 2011, 01:07:39 am »

So I started a new fortress. Yet another group and fortress in an evil area with the names "Death" and not a single undead creature.

I decided I wanted this fortress to be solitary so I could watch the migrants get slaughtered by various undead and laugh. Any survivors brave enough to best the baddies and reach my door would be allowed in.

Unfortunately, things don't always go as plan. Even though I gave all of my dwarves skills AND weapons to fight off the horde, I got ogres and gargoyles. Isn't life grand? My dwarves had no problem slaughtering them, but I still lost about three dwarves in the process of killing some five enemies. I lost a fourth to berserking. The fifth was lost to infection and a sixth to drowning (I don't know when or how, but I'm assuming he tried to dodge). Migrants came by and replenished my fort back to seven. Then about that time I lost another dwarf to berserking, who was put down without hesitance by my remaining two hammerers.

Then my WTF moment of the day... I got a new migrant wave of TWO JUVENILES. My dwarves can't even survive in one spot, and yet these two children managed to trek across the region to my fortress. Sigh.

All in all, I'm finally getting some practice with using a doctor!
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10697 on: February 13, 2011, 07:06:44 am »

started a new fort with volcano and a brook.

then after few years of struggling above ground, i started the mega projec, though i achieved it in a smaller scale before:
A cast obsidian fortress!
well basically i dig out an area next to the volcano in the mountain shaped like a big rectangle joined with a smaller square, all the way down to level -5.
and then wall the whole thing from out side.
pumping magma until it fills a level, then add water.

now i've finished half of the digging...

and four ambushes arrived. damn!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10698 on: February 13, 2011, 08:28:41 am »

Yeah, obsidian forts are significantly more valuable than regular forts, so you get attacks much quicker once you start digging. Had the same problem with stolen goblin towers,
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10699 on: February 13, 2011, 08:52:21 am »

but the problem is, i havent started mixing magma and water yet
well i was relying on farming and butchering for export
so maybe those tons of exported prepared elephant meat product attracted ambushes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10700 on: February 13, 2011, 09:07:50 am »

That'll do it too.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10701 on: February 13, 2011, 09:47:06 am »

So I check outside my fort entrance, and the ground is covered in vermin remains.  And by covered, I mean there is what looks like a river of rat parts, rotten turtle meat, lizard remains, fly and dragonfly remains, etc.  This was across pretty much the entire surface of my embark.  I only had four cats/kittens at the time, two war dogs, and around three puppies - so I don't think they were responsible for the carnage. 

I can't say I fully understand what caused such a massive extermination of all small surface life.

(Hot biome, a couple pools around and a brook; the remains kind of followed the profile of the brook. I wonder if this is somehow related to the infamous "deadly rain" others have reported in 30.18. I haven't seen any of my outdoors-dwarves suffering any injuries though.  I'm pretty sure it's only "wild" hostility as well.)

On a completely unrelated note, I'm frustrated by that hunter who ran out of ammo before killing that elephant; now it's just standing in a pool of its own blood and vomit.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

karloss99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10702 on: February 13, 2011, 10:12:22 am »

Got first 2 (!!!) migrants in my new fort...

One is a somewhat-useful stone detailer..

The other is a HIGH MASTER Brewer...

oh and this once again is a migrant wave before 1st dwarven caravan. Donno if I'm lucky or what...

P.S. that brewer ain't going out of the still any time soon.. :P

[EDIT] facepalm time - got no free barrels... re-purposing my bed factory ASAP
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:24:44 am by karloss99 »

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10703 on: February 13, 2011, 10:59:09 am »

hit [ p ] and then [ * ] for enough times to set barrel preservation.
unless you r in a hell of wood shortage, preserve some barrels helps brewage.

edit:thx for fixing
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:19:35 am by Lamphare »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10704 on: February 13, 2011, 10:59:35 am »

Tombamaze believes in learn by doing, and such our recruits/swodsdwarves/axedwarves/marksdwarves are patrolling our fortress/the big outdoors. Most enemy creatures are from the chasm. Total soldier count : 1 Axedwarf, 3 Swordsdwarves, 8 Marksdwarves, 1 Wrestler,  8 Recruits.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10705 on: February 13, 2011, 11:00:51 am »

hit [ p ] and then [ * ] for enough times to set barrel preservation.
unless you r in a hell of wood shortage, preserve some barrels helps brewage.
fix'd
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10706 on: February 13, 2011, 12:09:55 pm »

I have more tame elephants than militia members. I really wish you could use elephants for execution. Like they did in India.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10707 on: February 13, 2011, 02:06:27 pm »

I think I may have made dragons too hardcore...

The Black Dragon breathes a cloud of black dragon acid vapor!
The Wrestler is caught in a burst of black dragon acid!
The Black Dragon is caught in a burst of black dragon acid!
The Dog is caught in a burst of black dragon acid!
Vossin Terixunrhyvorif, Wrestler has bled to death.
Thoss Eorisvesschurgix, Dog (Tame) has bled to death.
Omiirlym Lorovivelvuthok, Leatherworker has bled to death.
Arach Hadajinatgarensin, Swordsman has bled to death.
The war Lion (Tame) has bled to death.
The Black Dragon breathes a cloud of black dragon acid vapor!
The Black Dragon is caught in a burst of black dragon acid!
Ghor Viventuorodent, Crossbowman has bled to death.
Vekorn Kestriskokesh, Crossbowman has bled to death.
And that's just the TL;DR version.  Anybody that came in contact with the cloud died 2-3 ticks later from severe blisters and bleeding.  They basically explode into a shower of blood.

The dragon was finally slain by a Lancer of a caste that is related to black dragons, and thus immune to the breath.  She is the only remaining member of my military outside the fortress guard.  I don't know how the cleanup is going to go.  The whole front gate to the fortress is drenched in acid.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10708 on: February 13, 2011, 02:12:16 pm »

ouch maybe?
well at least sieges are taken care of  :D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10709 on: February 13, 2011, 02:12:32 pm »

I was playing some Touhou yesterday, and finally hit an inspirational jackpot for a new fort.

And thus within the Planets of Wind a new vile wonderful force of darkness flooding the market with stone mugs was born. A lovely Wilderness Tropical Moist Broadleaf Forest (full of elephants <3) bordering a Tropical Freshwater Lake (full of carp <3). Since I'm on a lake, I'll have a ncie source of shells for moods, and fourth easy way of obtaining food (hunting/farming/gathering/fishing). There is also three sedimentary layers and no auquifer, which is always a plus.

PREPOSTEDIT: I forgot that when you re-embark, the name gets randomized. So I guess instead of Justiceknives the Knives of Justice I get to man Plankskinned. Eh, it could be worse. I've got my general layout up, my workshops starting to produce, and the farms already in progress. A good start.
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 3842